A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drawing hands: OMG! I REALLY want to cry!  (Read 2375 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2006 09:27:08 PM »

Stupid Deana. I thought I would venture into the world of drawing a decent face with hands, you know, the type of portrait where the face and hands are visible to create a look.

OMG I'm babbling... Roll Eyes

Well I found out hands are very hard to draw. Anyone possess this skill?  Huh I do not. Embarrassed This poor girl looks anorexic! Look at her wrists. I gave up and didn't bother finishing it.

Look if you need comic relief at my attempt.  Cry  I'll promise to try and improve.  Undecided

I may delete this and replace it with a better attempt later. For now, it's bedtime.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
Era Vera
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006 09:32:26 PM »

I understand this isn't what you were going for, but I actually think it looks really cool. It has a real style to it. Reminds me of something, but I'm not sure what. (I'm babbling.) I like it though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006 09:49:47 PM »

...I actually think it looks really cool. It has a real style to it. Reminds me of something, but I'm not sure what. (I'm babbling.) I like it though.

You do? Oh, thank you!  Kiss I'll quit crying for now.  Cry I guess there's always hope in everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
sarahpanda
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006 05:43:39 AM »

Actually, you're not doing too bad there! The first hands I drew looked much, much worse. Yours actually look like HANDS.

A tip that really helped me with hands was to note that the hand--palm with fingers spread--is generally about the size of the face. I usually sketch the general size and shape of the hand (as a block with no detail) and their placement before I draw them in, because that way if they're totally off in size or placement I will not have to erase all that careful detail!

Drawing with models and drawing what you actually see will really help. I have given up on drawing from my mind's eye anymore, my drawings are 1,000% better if I have based them on an actual picture of a person. Since hands are so difficult, I definitely recommend trying out drawing with a model to give you a feel for the way that hands work. The problem with them is that they're just so flexible!

And one of these days I'll get around to scanning one of my sketches for you, I promise...Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.c om
gmail chat: sarahpanda
stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006 06:59:09 AM »

Always remember; there is a first time for everything. Your drawings are progressing really well. KEEP IT UP! You'll be out-drawing DaVinci before you know it.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordp ress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
snowsculpture
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006 07:05:29 AM »

I think your hands look pretty good.  I think they're really hard also!

I agree with sarahpanda that drawing from a model should really help and make sure you draw what you actually see and not what you think you see.  Hands are such familiar shapes that it's easy to "know" what a hand looks like while drawing (instead of seeing what a hand looks like), which may end up showing the wrong angle or shape... if that makes sense.

And to make you feel better, even old masters had trouble with hands.  If you ever look through books that contain their sketches, there are pages and pages of sketches of hands.  So they practiced a lot!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ihateranch
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006 10:14:21 AM »

hands are tough, maybe try doing a study of hands, you know, drawing your hands in different poses over and over again until you feel you've got it. they're not fun to draw, but drawing them countless times will give you the skills to draw them accuratly in your more complex drawings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andig
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006 11:37:00 AM »

They don't look too bad!
Now, I'm no expert, but my teacher says to always remember, when drawing fingers, that they are composed of 3 separate segments, and to draw them separately, that way they don't come out looking so straight. I hope that made sense. Huh
And as for the anorexic-ness of the wrists, just make them wider?? I don't know, I've never drawn wrists, now I know why!
ohh and I second the drawing based on a model, even if it's your hand, or it could be you in front of a mirror or something.
Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006 01:36:34 PM »

The face looks so good!!!! 

Don't be so hard on yourself.  Hands are really tough.  When I took figure drawing my teacher had us keep a sketchbook and we had to draw hands, feet, eyes, ears, noses and mouths every day.  We also had to do master studies - copy drawings of masters (Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, ect.).  It is really, really helpful.  Also, once upon a time, I found a book at the library, in the art section that had photos of models (ie. nudes) in various poses and with close ups of each part (hands, feet, shoulders, etc.)  It was great for doing studies of specific parts.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kell
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006 02:26:52 PM »

Maybe try some blind contour  drawings?  Stare at your hand for hours on end slowly drawing every tiny detail -- without looking at the page.  It usually turns out like crap, but it's an amazing exercise, and really gets you to pay attention to it, and how everything is spacially relative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus Answer Fan Questions
Behind the Scenes of Writing Between You and Me
Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus Read from Between You and Me
White Horse Book Trailer
Amped Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...