A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: christmas is fast approaching, oh dear  (Read 1037 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

naoriesan
Angry Little Girl

Craftster? What is this mecca you speak of?

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2006 05:32:08 PM »

So, its the holiday season againLips sealed Oi. Seeing is I am only a 15 year old adolescent with no job, I'm in need of a little bit of help. So, for all you creative crafty ladies (and gents!):

Mom: Amy, 42. She is an interior designer and she is very funky (and young for 42). She likes reading (but never has time for it) almond joys, shopping, yankee candles, cross stitch (but never has time), laying in the sun, college football (Navy and Iowa State), Texas, talking to her sister... just general relaxing.

Dad: Bob, 42. He is a commander in the Navy, and is currently working in Navy Intelligence. He likes biking, DIY projects (house fixing projects), electronics, tinkering around the house, college football (Navy and Iowa State), lacrosse, taking care of my dog, Dutch... Typical "guy" things.

Sister: Mackenzie, 12 [soon to be 13, she stresses this a lot].
Sailor Moon, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, shopping, ipods, music (popular top 40 stuff), Japan, doing her hair, IMing, pretty typical stuff.

Best friend in the ENTIRE world: Cait, 15. LOVES musicals, VH1, the 80s, fanfiction, writing, reading, the internet, swimming, lusting after Alan Rickman (::sigh:Smiley, Jimmy Buffet, she is super funky and fun. Liberal as hell (not politics, but rude/crude/sarcastic/loves the daily show/etc).

That's pretty much it. I have some others, but it will be small gifts for them, nothing too much.

I already have lots of ideas, but nothing stands out to me, I thought I'd see what you guys thought.

FYI: I sew and putz around in all different kinds of crafts, I'm always up to try something new!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What do you look for in a man?

A high threshold for pain.
smashergrl
Doing what you like is Freedom. Liking what you do is Happiness.

Procrastination: art of keeping up with last week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006 05:53:15 PM »

Okay, I don't know what type of crafts you do, so here are a few ideas... 

For mom:  make her a book-on-tape.  I dont know how much they cost, but you could always record yourself reading the book.  Or create mini cross stitch projects that she could do while waiting for appointments or in a traffic jam

For dad:  make a sling bag for when he goes biking to hold a water bottle, or his wallet and house keys. 

For sis:  cover a reinforced (CLEAN) sushi takeout box to hold homemade hair ties (do you crochet? you could make scrunchies to go in it)  make hair ties with felt sushi attached to it

For best friend:  you could buy her fave musical on dvd and make a movie night package with stuff from a dollar store.  or even put on a musical FOR her
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NLJ
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006 06:00:54 PM »

Do your parent go to watch the college games?  You could make them some type of seat cushion to sit on and embellish it with stuff about their favorite teams.  You can use a piece of foam for the inside and put a strap on it to carry it.  Kind of like this : http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lv_entertaining/article/0,2041,DIY_14108_5036739,00.html

For your sister you could make an ipod cozy or a cute little purse.  http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-iPod-Cover

For your best friend you can make her a personalized journal.  You can use an altered book technique for the cover.http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_paper/article/0,2025,DIY_13771_5095275,00.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kabOOm

i'm bringin' crafty back...yeah!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006 05:49:26 PM »

First of all, your sister and I are, like, psycological(sp?) twins, (I'm 12, love shopping, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Sailor Moon, Japan (though I've never been there), music etc. And yet, I have no idea on what you could make her, maybe a purse like  this: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=119333.0 or something?

For your mom, you could make her a book purse (http://www.rudehouse.com/Arystocrafts/craft_pages/BPTutorial.html) or a wallet or purse out of Almond Joy wrappers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006 12:15:38 AM »

for your mom, if you can afford to do so (as the actual audio books are spendy), get her a trial subscription (or a month's) for simply audiobooks. It's like Netflix, but for audiobooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
TPK
Crafty Pirate Wench

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006 12:29:53 AM »

Regarding the book-on-tape suggestions, has anyone used Librivox as a free source for books on tape?  (Librivox is like Project Gutenberg, except the books are read aloud in MP3 format.)  You could browse the site to find a public domain book or set of short stories you like, burn them to a CD, and you're set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geekin' out at the Cosmic Fun Palace
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006 12:48:59 AM »

Your local lilbrary probably has books on CDs.. just a thought
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slackferno
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006 12:50:06 PM »

Regarding the book-on-tape suggestions, has anyone used Librivox as a free source for books on tape?  (Librivox is like Project Gutenberg, except the books are read aloud in MP3 format.)  You could browse the site to find a public domain book or set of short stories you like, burn them to a CD, and you're set.

http://spokenalex.org/ is another good resource for this.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinfoil queen

Where have all the Darcy's gone?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006 10:24:25 PM »

Thank you guys so much! I was stuck on presents for my mom and dad both, but after looking on librivox, I found the perfect solution. My mom is a Jane Austen freak and has v. long commutes to work everyday, and my dad idolizes William Blake, and has to haul half our neighborhood to school everyday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're talented and bright, we're lonely and uptight. We've found some lovely ways to disappoint... 

~the Weakerthans~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Think Like a Star with This Celeb Inspired Makeup Look
A Natural Static Killer
How to Do a Halo Braid on Short Hair
Graphic Eyeliner at the Custo Barcelona Spring 2014 Show
Perfect Red Lips at the Monique Lhuillier Spring 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...