A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FO: hourglass sweater (last minute knitted gifts)  (Read 3332 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitticle

staring at the sun

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2006 05:26:56 PM »

(Clickety-click to enlarge)
Pattern: Hourglass Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
Yarn: Cascade 220 (100% Peruvian Wool) spruce, 5 skeins
Mods: Unintentionally lengthened the sleeves (read wrong size bracket--D'OH)

Weee! I love finished objects--here's me digging up an old FO to distract myself from the WIP sitting on my desk as we speak. Smiley This sweater was finished last January (ummm...  Roll Eyes) and has been sitting in a box under my bed for the past two seasons, whilst I've been waiting eagerly to take it out. And lo, it's cold again! So back comes the sweater into rotation. I finally had a chance to take some pictures of it, and that's a good thing, since this was the first wearable sweater I ever finished. Ohhh...do I love it.

This is one of my favorite patterns and I recommend it to just about everyone (sorry if you've been one of those people. but seriously, it's a great pattern). Next time I make it, if I do, I'll use a softer yarn, though, and go down a size. I talk about this a little more (but not much) on my ever-so-uninformative blog.

More pictures here (another generic shot) and here (obligatory thumbs up nerdlinger pose).

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012 02:41:05 PM by jungrrl - Reason: linked to specific blog entry » THIS ROCKS   Logged

because, you see, the internet is made up of a series of tubes...
knitticle
Curlyredheadgirl

Faith is the evidence of things not seen. Heb.11:1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006 05:35:06 PM »

Checked out your info on your blog! And looked at the other pictures - I LOVE the color!!!! And it really looks good on you! I've been debating making this sweater - everyone says it's great - but it looks like tooooooo much plain knitting. I have major knitting ADD - but it really is a great sweater!! I have some EcoYarn sitting around - I may just put it on my massive list of projects to do! thanks for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can never change the past. But by the gace of God, you can win the future. So, remember those things which will help you forward, but forget about the things which will only hold you back.

My Blog - http://curlyredheadgirl.blogspot.com/
kimosabe001
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006 05:35:57 PM »

ooo that's so pretty! i love the color! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tilliev
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006 10:51:37 PM »

thanks for the inspiration! yours is beautiful.... i've got an hourglass that i started months ago, and this makes me want to finish it.  love the color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006 11:18:30 PM »

Great job! I love this pattern too--I've made one in wool and one in cotton, and planning on making another with some mods. Preach the gospel of the Hourglass Sweater!
(It is a lot of stockinette, Curlyredheadgirl, but it makes a great TV/movie knitting project.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
knitormiss
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006 01:35:15 PM »

Your sweater is too good!  It looks perfect.  *sigh*  I really should get to some of my unfinished works. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My husband says I should cut back.
I tell him, it's better than a really bad drug problem.
knitticle

staring at the sun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006 01:58:57 PM »

Aww, thanks, guys! Now if only I could get on finishing some things in my enormous WIP pile...

To anyone thinking of making it, it *does* seem like a lot of stockinette, but it's so easy you can work on it just about anywhere while doing anything else so  it goes by really quickly!

Preach the gospel of the Hourglass Sweater!
Amen  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

because, you see, the internet is made up of a series of tubes...
knitticle
TamKing

So many patterns - so little time!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006 05:12:10 PM »

It looks fantastic!!  And of course just got bumped up on my 'to make' list.  I've had the pattern marked in my book for awhile and now I MUST have it!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tammy
Got my needles, hooks, and yarn, Green Day on the iPod....ah, life is good! =)
rjbuthead
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006 12:26:40 PM »

this sweater pattern makes me cry  Cry i have started it twice and frogged it twice and am now working on something else but i know i will go back to it....stupid gauge! i have tried knitting tightly with 8s and loosely with 7s, it never works! i am beginning to think that i just should use the gauge that i knit at and then alter the pattern because i can't do it the regualar way.  but i love the pattern and your sweater is very inspirational
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007 08:06:16 PM »

Just adding mine to the pile...

I made the 33" bust size with Cash Iroha.  I used just barely over 10 hanks.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007 08:09:58 PM by aurelia615 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Insta Photographers
Inside Out Project: When Life Becomes Art
RAW File Basics
The Time of Day in Digital Photography
Digital Zoom Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...