A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,738
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Snow Globes  (Read 1602 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

therealgigantor

GIGANTOR SMASH YOUR CITYYYYYYY!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2006 11:29:56 AM »

Well, my plan for christmas this year is to make snow globes/ water globes for friends. I was thinking of using polymer clay ( I have plain old sculpey) to make figures, then paint and seal them before immersing them in water for all of eternity. After reading up on the topic, I'm not so sure this is such a reasonable idea anymore! In my fantasy world plan, I make the figures, bake, paint with acrylic, and then coat with 600 layers of varnish to make water proof.

Can anyone offer any advice on perhaps different clay or paint types that might be better suited for this application?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

owl be there
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006 01:12:15 PM »

guueess what!! i have a fimo clay / sculpey (cant remember which - but i can check it) klutz book and..duh duh duh duh..THEY MAKE SNOWGLOBES! with jars. that they turn upside down. so ill go check it and then post. ehhehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
owl be there
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006 01:33:03 PM »

ok . in the book they just glued their snowglobe figureine thing onto the inside of a lid of a jar and filled the jar with water and put glue on the edges of the jar and screwed the lid of the jar on. oh and they put glitter in it. so they didnt coat it with anything and you said you were going to paint yours? they just used coloured clay. so i dont know if that would make a difference or not?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
therealgigantor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006 05:26:51 PM »

Thanks for checking that out!! I've actually ordered some empty snow globes from National Artcraft http://www.nationalartcraft.com/subcategory.asp?gid=6&cid=37&scid=54 I'm hoping to come up with something "classy" looking that wont fade/ fall apart
THIS ROCKS   Logged

owl be there
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006 05:59:55 PM »

ya they didnt seal theres so maybe it wont fade? maybe if you seal it with something. Diane B will probly know Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006 11:20:47 AM »

Hey,

It's not necessary to seal polymer clay, but if you plan to leave it immersed in water for a long time (say 6 months or more), a whitish "coating" will begin to show up on the clay because it is actually very-very-slightly porous (this will show up more on dark colors than light ones).  Some clay brands are also less porous or denser than others, so I assume that Sculpey will be more quicker to show effects, and Kato slower, with the others in-between.

Putting certain things in the water seems to avoid the problem (e.g., using a certain amount of glycerin, or waterbed conditioner) and those will also help with any algae, etc, you might get from using non-distilled water or adding other materials in the snowglobes.

There's a load of info/tips/etc. for making snowglobes with polymer clay inside on this page at my site if you want to check it all out:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/outdoor_snowglobes_fountains.htm
(...you'll want the main section called "Water"...)

Have fun!

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
therealgigantor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006 11:29:37 AM »

Hey,

It's not necessary to seal polymer clay, but if you plan to leave it immersed in water for a long time (say 6 months or more), a whitish "coating" will begin to show up on the clay because it is actually very-very-slightly porous (this will show up more on dark colors than light ones).  Some clay brands are also less porous or denser than others, so I assume that Sculpey will be more quicker to show effects, and Kato slower, with the others in-between.

Putting certain things in the water seems to avoid the problem (e.g., using a certain amount of glycerin, or waterbed conditioner) and those will also help with any algae, etc, you might get from using non-distilled water or adding other materials in the snowglobes.

There's a load of info/tips/etc. for making snowglobes with polymer clay inside on this page at my site if you want to check it all out:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/outdoor_snowglobes_fountains.htm
(...you'll want the main section called "Water"...)

Have fun!

Diane B.

Thanks! I have, in fact already browsed through your site and found it very informative. I guess it leaves the question of how well will acrylic paint hold up in water? I assume it would be wise to coat it in something more waterproof. I guess some experimenting is in order, of course, I could only do short term trials, but better than nothing I suppose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006 11:46:16 AM »

that leaves open how well will acrylic paint hold up in water? I assume it would be wise to coat it in something more waterproof

Well, acrylic paints (and clear acrylic sealers) should be waterproof**, but they may be like polymer clay in that they can't be 100% waterproof forever... don't know.

**the paint should be fully "cured" though, I guess, not just dry to the touch

As I said though, paint shouldn't be necessary if the other things are done.

Here's something from that page at my site on water globes, but I don't know anything about it myself:

...There is a brand of acrylic paints called Patio Paints that are specifically for outdoor use on pots or concrete. Michael's carries it. Jeannine

Also, unfortunately, short-term trials won't do much good (as long  as the basic guidelines are followed) because the additional problems won't show up for a long while... results can also depend on what type of light the object is exposed to during its life (on a windowsill or under fluorescent lighting --bad-- vs. farther from windows or actually in the dark--good).

Diane B.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006 08:53:30 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Tuga
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006 07:17:31 AM »

Amazing ...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love from oporto
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006 09:04:38 AM »

Kind of off topic, but if you put in mineral oil instead of water, the snow falls slower and swirls around more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Preparing to Use Photoshop Lesson 2
Preparing to Use Photoshop Lesson 1
Introduction to Photoshop Lesson 1
The Basic of Photoshop
The Basic of Photoshop Lesson 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...