A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: modern looking obi belt -now with mini tutorial  (Read 23065 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , obi  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tomatedepingles
Recycled jewelry?

How eco-chic!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 06, 2006 09:03:44 AM »

heres my latest obsession: modern looking obi belts

various tidbits
the saturday night fever dress Wink is from the era i was born (circa 1977); its thrifted, cost me 1$!!!!
i didnt like the belt that came with the dress (just a plain thin black skinny belt) : it made the dress poof in the middle and was quite unflattering Wink

now about the actual obi belt:
-black jeans outer shell and geometric pattern synthetic inner lining
-the jeans is fab, i bought the whole roll!
-the linig was not so fab Wink rookie error: it was so stretchy compared to the jeans ... so it made my life hell  Cheesy
-the lining is a dress that didnt fit me anymore i had saved for some obscure reason
-this obi belt is actually just a practice for the next one i'll be making: it'll be in black leather (linning still to be determined)
-original pattern by .me. !

close-up shot

comments well appreciated!

heres a mini tutorial

its fairly simple to do   Smiley

i cut two pieces for the central part, 1 of lining, one of exterior fabric, that where 6 inches wide by an undisclosed number of inches long he he its my waist size Wink so say your waist is 32 inches, add 1 inch for the seem
those two pieces are rectangles

then i cut 4 pieces, two linings, two exterior shells, that where 2 inches wide by the same lenght as the center part of the obi (so 33 inches if your waist is 32 inches)

the rest is simple stitching, really

first you stitch the lining to exterior shell (right sides together), for all three pieces
leave an opening to turn it inside out
trim the 4 corners

turn the 3 pieces right side out, press, slip stitch the opening closed

then you attach the 2 belts to the larger obi belt
i made the mistake of stitching them as close to the edge as possible, but if you would like it to overlap a bit, which makes it look less frumpy, i would recommend sowing them on at least 4 inches away from the side of the belt

the fact that its 3 times your wastes sizes makes it possible to wrap it all the way around

voilà!

i will make at least another belt, so i will try and remember to take pictures of it as i do it... so my tute can be illustrated!

oh one last thing: i was told that prostitutes tied the belts in the front, for easy access Wink vs geisha's and other women tied them in the back, the proper and correct way Smiley
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011 07:57:30 PM by MareMare - Reason: to add tutorial from below » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hobijack
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006 09:40:19 AM »

Wow! Very nice as is.
I wouldn't worry about the lining as it doesn't show. I like that it looks understated with clean lines and dressy enough for work or other occasions without looking like it's part of a costume. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006 09:44:03 AM »

It looks really great.  I agree with Hobijack about the lining, but if it does bother you, you could use a lightweight fusible interfacing on the lining fabric to prevent it from stretching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomatedepingles
Recycled jewelry?

How eco-chic!

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006 10:05:05 AM »

thanks!  Grin

and thanks for the info!
but now that its done, the fabric doesnt bother me at all Wink
it was a hassle to sow, though, because it would tend to stretch or, even worse, bunch up

for the next one, i'll use silk... or grosgrain cotton... no more stretchy synthetic for me  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006 12:53:44 PM »

That's fantastic!  I was just thinking of what I wanted/needed in a wide belt, but nothing too sexy or corset-y.  This is great!  I'd love to see a quick diagram or tute if you get a chance!

It' looks really amazing on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mmd32
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006 12:58:13 PM »

I second the request for a tut if you get the time!!! I LOVE that one!!! Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dropdeadred77
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006 01:52:32 PM »

That's really beautiful - I love the way it looks! I've tried a few wide belts and they didn't look right, but now I think I'll have to try again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomatedepingles
Recycled jewelry?

How eco-chic!

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006 10:27:10 AM »

wow thanks!
I'm blushing  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006 05:40:51 AM by tomatedepingles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

minouette
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006 10:42:27 AM »

That looks awesome and very hip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
tomatedepingles
Recycled jewelry?

How eco-chic!

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006 05:41:41 AM »

heres a mini tutorial

its fairly simple to do   Smiley

i cut two pieces for the central part, 1 of lining, one of exterior fabric, that where 6 inches wide by an undisclosed number of inches long he he its my waist size Wink so say your waist is 32 inches, add 1 inch for the seem
those two pieces are rectangles

then i cut 4 pieces, two linings, two exterior shells, that where 2 inches wide by the same lenght as the center part of the obi (so 33 inches if your waist is 32 inches)

the rest is simple stitching, really

first you stitch the lining to exterior shell (right sides together), for all three pieces
leave an opening to turn it inside out
trim the 4 corners

turn the 3 pieces right side out, press, slip stitch the opening closed

then you attach the 2 belts to the larger obi belt
i made the mistake of stitching them as close to the edge as possible, but if you would like it to overlap a bit, which makes it look less frumpy, i would recommend sowing them on at least 4 inches away from the side of the belt

the fact that its 3 times your wastes sizes makes it possible to wrap it all the way around

voilà!

i will make at least another belt, so i will try and remember to take pictures of it as i do it... so my tute can be illustrated!

oh one last thing: i was told that prostitutes tied the belts in the front, for easy access Wink vs geisha's and other women tied them in the back, the proper and correct way Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...