A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: felted aran sweater?  (Read 1987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 06, 2006 08:32:32 AM »

A long time ago, when I was first knitting....I knit a lovely aran sweater for the dear hubby.  He wanted longer sleeves, so I blocked them a bit longer, and now they are too long!  Any thoughts on how to shrink them back down?  And if not, has anyone ever felted an aran sweater?  Thanks so much for your help, Julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006 11:38:44 AM »

Don't felt! The fabric more times than not feels rough, and its a process you can't really control.

Reblock your jumper again, that should work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006 11:40:56 AM »

I've tried reblocking, but it doesn't seem to shrink at all.  Any superduper blocking hints?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006 01:28:49 PM »

Wow.

Really? It didn't unblock? To be honest, you can block to stretch stuff, but not to shrink it. Do you have a picture of the jumper?

I know that this woman called theresa at knitty.com (she does techniques for knitty) and is quite knowlegable about these things.
Bonne Marie Burns (another person at kitty) is quite good as well. Ask them and see if you get a response? Or, you could ask eunyjinn of (eunnyjin knits) for any insights.

You may have to probably put a pair of scissors to it though, and get armed with a sewing machine.

Sorry that I can't help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rose Campion
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006 02:46:36 PM »

I agree that felting is something you can't really control that well, plus will change the texture of the garment.

If the sleeves are kind of narrow-ish, they may get shorter with normal wear. This happens to a sweater I knit for DH. As he moves around in the sweater and bends his elbows, etc, the sleeves get wider. Then, as they get wider, they also get shorter. If the sleeves are already kind of wide, this won't happen though.

Probably your safest bet though is to unravel the sleeves a bit. Pick the bind off (or cast on) open. Unravel the ribbing, then the appropriate amount of sleeve. Finally, reknit the ribbing, bind off and refinish the sweater. This assumes you've done a regular ribbing that won't look odd if done "upside down" (if your sleeve was knit from wrist up). I'd also save the extra yarn just in case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatyerhartout
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006 06:31:54 PM »

I've never knit a sweater before, but I read several books on knitting/designing them, though (I know, I know, you can't learn everything from a book, but I'm a read-aholic  Grin) and the exact same technique Rose Campiondescribed is what I remember reading. Good luck and I'm sorry the sweater didn't turn out the way you had hoped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006 08:03:36 AM »

Thanks for all the advice.  I had thought about taking the surger (gasp!!!) to it.  Really, the whole thing is much too big.  I've even thought about cannibalizing it for another sweater, but I can't bring myself to do it. 

The reason I was thinking felting was to make a jacket for me.  Since this is 100% wool, it's much too hot for him.  Unless we move to the tundra...or I make him sleep outside..hmm.... If I did felt it I would steek it down the middle and put in a zipper or something.  But...I'm hesitant. 

But, on the other hand, it's just sitting in the closet for now.  Which also makes me crazy.   I'll post some pics when I figure out how.. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006 08:52:19 AM »

Okay, here's some pictures of the monster sweater http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=65062 and http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=65061
thanks for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PlayItGeorge
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006 10:45:02 AM »

Well, I suppose you could felt it for yourself but be very careful not to over felt!  It might felt more lengthwise and less widthwise too FYI.

But if hubby isn't wearing it at all, you might as well do something with all that yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
honeydew
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006 11:49:09 AM »

Thanks for all the advice.  I had thought about taking the surger (gasp!!!) to it.  Really, the whole thing is much too big.  I've even thought about cannibalizing it for another sweater, but I can't bring myself to do it. 

The reason I was thinking felting was to make a jacket for me.  Since this is 100% wool, it's much too hot for him.  Unless we move to the tundra...or I make him sleep outside..hmm.... If I did felt it I would steek it down the middle and put in a zipper or something.  But...I'm hesitant. 

But, on the other hand, it's just sitting in the closet for now.  Which also makes me crazy.   I'll post some pics when I figure out how.. Smiley

First off, it's a really nice looking sweater, and it would be a shame to frog the whole thing.
The sleeves DO seem a bit out of proportion though - maybe you could just frog a few inches on the bottom of the sleeves and re-knit those to a better length?

But if it's not just the sleeves that are the problem and you want to get it out of the closet and onto someone who will feel nice and cozy in it, maybe you could put it up for a charity auction (or Ebay it and use the money to buy yourself some more yarn)... then you know it's getting worn and loved, even if not by the person you intended it for Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
4 Ways to Wear Distressed Jeans
How to Pull Off Wearing a Turtleneck Like Kim Kardashian
10 Moto Jackets for Under $200
Alexander Wang For H&M Getting Rave Reviews
Forever 21 Launches Simpsons Inspired Collection
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Aubergine, Tomato and Goat Cheese Bake
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...