A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shrine Swap Pics  (Read 8036 times)
Tags for this thread: shrine  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dixie_terror
« on: September 14, 2004 02:31:03 PM »

I figuredI'd go ahead and post the one I made for Keylowatt. She listed tattoos as one of her interests, so I made a Sailor Jerry Collins shrine...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

a few of my recent banners...<br />http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287051709
jpants
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004 05:02:49 AM »

dixie-that is so awesome! totally inspiring!  i'm going to make mine this weekend and mail it on monday.  I wanted to put out there that i don't have access to a digital camera anymore, so whoever is sending to me, hopefully you  have one and can take a pic for the gallery.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dixie_terror
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004 05:57:41 AM »

I'm such a dork that the little lights around the sailor jerry pic/bio are battery operated and light up and blink... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a few of my recent banners...<br />http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287051709
xmelinda
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004 06:12:58 AM »

Oh man, that is cool!  You've set the bar too high!  Wink

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
Spork
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004 10:20:01 AM »

Dixie- your Sailor Jerry shrine is ADORABLE.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004 04:32:23 AM »

Oh man, I almost did something with lights too!  I love what you made it in, I couldn't find anything like that so I used a tin (and that was hard enough to find, there are no Altoids here!).  I've taken a pic too but I'll wait until princess_me gets it before putting it up - I want her to be the first to see!

You US folks must be starting to receive your shrines, right?  More pics please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004 09:42:32 PM »

Yay, photobucket's back up!  This is the shrine that Barbi (norsgoebel) sent me.  I love it!  She managed to fit in all of my interests, how cool is that?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jpants
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004 04:50:54 PM »

i got my absolutely fabulous shrine from bkrenning4 today!  it really is the best, most elaborate, detailed, incredible thing ever!  It's dark green with a total garden theme.  on the outside there are flowers and a little picket fence and little trees. the inside has mini flower pots and gardening tools and seed packets and a hose and a gardening hat and beautiful pressed fall leaves.  bk-i hope you can post a picture.  if not, i will hunt down a camera, it just might take a while. 

i'll be sending my shrine this week, definitely by thurs, the mail-by date.  i got a little behind because i lost power for 3 days when ivan passed through.

i'd definitely be up for another one of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkrenning4

"Dance like no one is watching..."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004 05:03:06 PM »

I forgot to take a picture!  Please, oh, please, find a camera!  I would love for you to post a picture.  I am so glad you liked it!  You said you enjoyed gardening and were a botany major, so I wanted to do something special with those interests!  Take care. 

Kristine
bkrenning4
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princess_me

You can't make me grow up!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004 11:56:43 AM »

i got my shrine from sarah in new zeland (sorry if i misspell something...not all there today) sarah if you could post pics that would be awsome. my house is still without power so i have to use the computer lab at the library.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004 02:05:59 PM »

Yay!  I hope you liked it.  I'm glad it arrived safely.  The tin has had a rather dubious past (it belonged to a friend of mine) so I was a little worried about Customs and sniffer dogs...

The best part about doing this shrine was the elephant.  I think I've got a picture of how ugly and evil-looking it was before I started working on it!  I haven't got time right now but I'll dig it up.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004 09:16:02 AM »

Oh, I love the elephant!!!!  How did you do the fabric lining all lush like that?

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004 01:36:39 PM »

I made a box out of thin cardboard (from a cracker box) and stapled the fabric to the bottom of it.  Then I hot glued it into the tin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bkrenning4

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004 05:09:14 PM »

I just received the greatest shrine from heroinechic!  Thank you so much...I love it!  It sits on my desk where I can look at it all day!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spazz

that rocks my face off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2004 11:44:35 AM »

I'm so inspired by all of these fun shrines that I have to make one for a friend's birthday! I really like the idea of using an altoid tin, but I was also wondering where everyone got those cool mini wardrobe looking boxes. Are they smaller than they look in the pics? I'm particularly in awe of the tattoo shrine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkrenning4

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2004 03:00:25 PM »

They come from Michael's and cost $.99!  Thjey are great!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
heroinechic
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2004 09:41:55 AM »

bkrenning4, glad you liked your shrine!!!  i had fun making it.  figured that since you liked celestial stuff and the outdoors, i could go with a nighttime/sleepytime theme. 

**edit**
i got my shrine today in the mail!  i love that the inside is 3-D.  here are some pics.  thanks so much!!  not sure of your craftster name...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004 04:52:01 PM by heroinechic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

princess_me

You can't make me grow up!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2004 08:24:39 PM »

i got my absolutely fabulous shrine from bkrenning4 today!  it really is the best, most elaborate, detailed, incredible thing ever!  It's dark green with a total garden theme.  on the outside there are flowers and a little picket fence and little trees. the inside has mini flower pots and gardening tools and seed packets and a hose and a gardening hat and beautiful pressed fall leaves.  bk-i hope you can post a picture.  if not, i will hunt down a camera, it just might take a while. 

i'll be sending my shrine this week, definitely by thurs, the mail-by date.  i got a little behind because i lost power for 3 days when ivan passed through.

i'd definitely be up for another one of these!

i am glad i was not the only one pushed back by ivan. i live in foley, alabama and the eye moved right up highway 59 going through orange baech, gulf shores and then traveling on up through foley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silloh_77

If anyone needs me: I'll be at the thrift store...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004 05:13:35 AM »

Heroinechic, That was me: Silloh_77. I'm glad you liked it!
The women  are from a green tea iced tea bottle. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmelinda
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2004 05:48:37 AM »

Okay, bear with me, I'm going to gush...

I have to say that the swaps are the best example of why I love Craftster.  I absolutely LOVE how you can take a theme and then see how several people interpret that theme in totally different ways!  I am so inspired when I see what other people have done and think, "Oh, cool, I would never have thought of that!"  There are so many creative people here!

Melinda  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heroinechic
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2004 07:58:11 AM »

Heroinechic, That was me: Silloh_77. I'm glad you liked it!
The women  are from a green tea iced tea bottle. 

Thank you Silloh_77!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dixie_terror
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2004 11:29:47 AM »

I got mine from IQJones today,it's a very cool pirate themed shrine,perfect as I am pirate obsessed! I'm working on pics, but alas I don't have  digital camera...maybe Kate will post any she took. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2004 11:57:47 AM »

Do you really like it?
I didn't take any pictures (I was mad at it right then).
Never made a shrine before, was scared to send it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
silloh_77

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2004 01:07:45 PM »

Does anyone have any tips on painting the box? I just used several coats of metal paint on mine, but it ended up not closing right (didn't want to ruin the paint).
And primer only comes in these HUGE jars i'm sure i'd never finish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jpants
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2004 02:17:00 PM »

i just used a couple of layers of acrylic paint and covered with one layer of modge podge.  my door was still a little hard to close but  not so much that it was unmailable.  i wonder if lolitacontrer has received hers yet....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silloh_77

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2004 08:01:25 AM »

Thanks to pinkkittypiper for my great new CHOCOCAT shrine!
It was a pleasant surprise for me this morning as I left for work. I totally love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2004 02:14:23 PM »

I received my shrine from Princess_Me on friday.  I love it, it's going right by my crafting area.  Thanks so much!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
FunkyOlive
Revolution Rock-making, Screen-printing, "Next Great American Novel"-writing collage artist/enigma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2004 02:19:02 PM »

hi all,
i wanted to wait until IqJones got her shrine before i posted pics, which i sent very late (the shrine).
but, she got it and here they are!
presenting.... the Italian Stuff shrine! lol

(sorry the pics are so big)
-FunkyOlive
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2004 02:20:38 PM »

Everyones shrines look fabu!! (can't wait 'til mine gets here  Cheesy goody goody goody lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
ctgirl
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2004 07:42:01 AM »

Here's the shrine I got from VaguelyVogue.  I think it is adorable!  Thanks!!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
hijole
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2004 06:30:51 AM »

This is the shrine I made for funkyolive.  She said she liked India, so I couldn't resist making her a mini Ganesh shrine. 

The outside of the box:

Ganesh and his rat:

Ganesh and his pal are polymer clay. The mirror in the back is attached with shisha embroidery.  Take it from me:  think long and hard before you consider using gold embroidery floss!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2004 06:32:37 AM by hijole » THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2004 12:06:40 PM »

I want to post and apologize for not saying anything sooner about the shrine I received from CTGirl.  I took pictures of it, and I was waiting to be able to post with the pics, but I have to get DH to help me get the pics from the camera to the computer.  I hate to admit I don't know how, but DH is in grad school and is constantly writing 20-page papers, and I live in fear that I'll accidentally do something to the computer... I'm somewhat computer savvy, but he has our computer set up in "his own special ways"...  Roll Eyes

Anyway, I'll tell about it, and hopefully still post pics of it soon (I've got pics of the shrine I sent to Gretchen, too).  Ruth did a cool job of actually researching shrines as used in Voudun or Santeria, and made a shrine like that, which is especially cool for me, since last semester I took a class about Caribbean culture, and got interested in it  Smiley  I did not mention that to Ruth, but I did mention as a possible theme that my DH and I have been trying to have a baby for some time, so the shrine has a fertility theme, including a little baby and a prayer to a voudun saint and some symbols of that saint.  It's really cool -- she definitely did some homework in making it!

Pics coming soon, I hope I hope...

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gji7
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2004 01:13:31 PM »

I actually have pictures of the wonderful 'HAPPY' shrine the xmelinda sent me - I'll post them for her so you don't have to wait.  I would have posted them earlier but I am having MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF GUILT for already having my shrine and not sending hijole her shrine yet.  Bad swapper.  Bad swapper.

Gretchen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth. - Evan Esar

Prove to yourself that you can do it. Prove that you were always who you thought you were, not who they said you had to be. - Rachel Snyder
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2004 04:56:20 PM »

xmelinda-- the shrine you made rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
xmelinda
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2004 07:10:46 AM »

Thanks for the compliment!  I had so much fun making it -- I'd never made one before, so it was fun to brainstorm it.  Because it involved a lot of waiting for paint to dry and waiting for polyurethane to dry and waiting for glue to dry, I made it over several days, and I'd walk past it and think of something else to put in it or on it.  I made it out of an Altoids tin because I had this idea of a portable box of "happy", like if you need some happy, open the box.  Inside is a heart pin that you can wear if you need cheering up, and a necklace for the same reason, some fortune cookie fortunes with positive affirmation-type messages, a lucky penny, some Body Shop Satsuma perfume (wearing it always cheers *me* up) and the lyrics to the Joe Raposo song, "Sing" (you know the one, from old-time Sesame Street, "don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear, just sing, sing a song").  The little frame I made so that Gretchen could put in pics of things that make her happy  Smiley

Thanks for posting the pics, Gretchen, yours came out better than mine, anyway.  Mine always have too much flash.

And speaking of too much flash  Roll Eyes, here finally is a pic of the shrine Ruth sent!

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bkrenning4

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2004 08:42:48 PM »

IMPORTANT![/b][/color][/size]

Here is the staus of the Shrine Swap.

Spydermum: Lolitacontrer mailed your item on 10/25.  Please post when you receive it.

Pinkkittypiper:   Keylowatt will mail your shrine this weekend.  Please post when you receive it.

Everyone else:  Way too cool!  This was a first on Craftster, but your shrines were absolutely amazing!  Thank you so much for participating.  We will do it again soon!

Take care.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004 07:16:21 AM by bkrenning4 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hijole
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2004 12:45:51 PM »

I got my amazing shrine from gji7 today.  I can't begin to describe how wonderful it is.  Thank you so much!

Here's the front cover:

And the incredible inside:

For some reason, I can't seem to make the bottom image larger.  If I figure it out, I'll edit it so you can see more detail.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2004 12:51:44 PM »

gji7-  the shrine you made for Toni is amazing. What wonderful work!

Barbi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
gji7
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2004 07:06:23 AM »

I'm so glad you like it!  I had so much fun making it  Cheesy - though it was "just a bit" late since I am PHYSICALLY UNABLE to scale back once I get going  Roll Eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth. - Evan Esar

Prove to yourself that you can do it. Prove that you were always who you thought you were, not who they said you had to be. - Rachel Snyder
pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2004 10:44:45 AM »

Yay!! I was feeling down, having prolly failled my Chemistry quiz this morning, but was cheered up by a package awaiting me when I got home. It was an Enchanted Forest Shrine from Keylowatt!!  Its got the story/history of Merlin on the lid and a beautiful starry forest inside (with real little lights!)  Its amazing - thanks Jamie/Keylowatt!!!!! I'll post pics when I get the camera next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be an Architect - Part 7
How to Write Like an Architect
How to Design Like an Architect
How to be an Architect - Part 6
How to Be an Architect Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...