A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,059
Currently Running With Scissors:
228 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: nuno felted jellies  (Read 1741 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ptarmic wumpus

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 05, 2006 07:35:48 PM »

I made a sample nuno felted panel for the "transparency" project for a color class that I am taking.  I tried to nuno felt some jellyfish onto a panel of silk organza, although I think I grabbed the wrong wool out of my stash (I had intended to use merino, but think I used some other wool that I have that doesn't felt very well). The wool only partially felted onto the backing, and I had to needle it on in a few spots.

Then I decided to dye-paint it, and tried to paint the organza with some blue acid dyes, and to make the jellies purple and greenish, but the dye leeched out of the wool into the silk  before it could dry. So, I ended up dyeing the whole thing in some turquoise, but you can see the colors blotched in the organza behind the jellies.

I kinda like the way the jellies are a lighter color, they sort of "glow" against the background, but I don't like the blotchy background. I might try to redye just the background to even it out more.

Next time I'll be more careful about picking out the right wool. I'd like to figure out how to get a nice even laminate felt so I can make yardage to use for clothing without having the stiffness and weight of pure felt.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013 06:17:41 PM by ptarmic wumpus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LV 20  blog!
sweetestangel
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006 08:51:42 PM »

Oh wow.  They are amazing...I love the background. Really. I think I am in love with these guys.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's been awhile.
the felt fairy
Penny Harrison

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006 12:23:52 AM »

I think the background looks great as it is. The sea isnt only one colour so it looks true to life.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Evil_Abbe
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006 01:45:24 AM »

I adore the blotchy background!

This is the first project I've seen that has seriously tempted me to learn how to felt things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PoiToy
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006 05:10:59 PM »

I agree...the background looks good blotchy; makes the jellies stand out.  I think it would be too plain if the background was one even color.  I dig that glowing effect the leeching caused.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Evil_Abbe
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006 06:55:11 PM »

hmm...i keep looking at these.  they're going on my wist.  as soon as i can think of something with a sea cucumber to tempt you with i'm PMing you.   ;-p

you know its bad when you start memorising crafters' tastes in hopes of future swappings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan
Creative Craft Supplies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...