A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretty like a Flower  (Read 4703 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_16_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 04, 2006 08:10:44 AM »

So, my daughter and I dress up as a pair every year.  She's almost four, and we go trick-or-treating, to a party, and to an event at the zoo every year, and I go to an adults-only costume party too.  So, the first limitation on our costumes is that they have to be done by at least the weekend before Halloween.  The second limitation is that I like my costume to be a little mature (uh, yeah, sexy, I'm vain, what can I say?) for the adult-only party, but it still has to be fairly chaste so I can attend a number of childrens' events.  And the final, but most important limitation, is that it is sometimes 65 at Halloween here in Nebraska, and sometimes 35, and there's no telling what it'll be until the time comes, so the costumes sort of have to be manipulable for warmth lest we have to cover them up with coats.  This year, as it happens, it was 65 over the weekend, when I attended the party and we went to Boo at the Zoo, but 35 on Halloween itself.  Whee.

And all year, I'd been planning on going as Mulan and Mushu, but Kit changed her mind last minute to two of her favorite picture-book characters, the Spider and the Fly.  But that just wasn't going to happen, not on short notice, so I had to formulate a new plan.  We went as flowers.  Or flower fairies, though without the wings.  (Wings = too much trouble in case you've got to bundle up.)  I was a rose, and Kit was a poppy.  Not all the pieces are hand-made, because I am no seamstress.  (I own three sewing machines, and not a single one is currently in working order)  But I did pretty well, I think.

My rose costume consists of a working bodice made by a seamstress friend of mine for my ren faire garb.  Unfortunately, it had a rather hard night on Saturday, as I was slipped something at the party and spent a while hunched over, permanently bending the boning in front and distorting the fabric somewhat.  So, it has seen better days.  Plus, I had to wash everything you see there, including that dry-clean-only taffeta skirt... scared the crap out of me, I didn't know if it would recover.  The little sleeveless chemise-thing you see WAS made by me, though, out of cotton broadcloth, and you can't see it, but it is almost as long as the skirt and has four layers of gathered lace sewn to it to make a petticoat.  The skirt is taffeta, and was also made by me.  It's a true circle-skirt... 60" wide fabric rocks... with a drawstring at the top hem.  Then, I pulled the bottom hem up in little gathers in six places around the skirt to make petals.  Green tights and ribbons, plus the flowers at my neck and in my hair top it off.  I had green ribbon laced around my legs ballet-style, too, but they wouldn't stay up, so while they were cute for the adults-only party, they just weren't practical for the trick-or-treating or the kids party, which is where I was in the picture.

And here is my daughter in her poppy costume.  (We'd be pictured together except she didn't want her pic taken, and so we had to snap one on the sly.)  Her top is a store-bought turtleneck, for warmth.  Her skirt is something my mom called crystal pleat (?) and it was kindof a pain to sew, but really the skirt turned out really cute, and she had fun wearing it.  It's got a bit of a lettuce edge on the top layer to make it stand out a bit and flutter.  White tights on the legs, and "plump pollen" legwarmers that I hand-knit out of some Joann's Sensations yarn.  Her legs look like little stamen.  Cheesy  She had pink hair, too, but the headband it was attached to broke and we had to ditch it.  And Kit got sensible shoes, because she needed them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
smelsmin
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007 02:59:40 AM »

I love your costumes, especially your skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trick Out Your Model Train Layout
How to Make a Plastic Bowl Tambourine
How to Make a Popsicle Stick Harmonica
How to Customize a T-Shirt
How to Make Ribbon Rose Toppers for the Holidays
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...