A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,210
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric choices for toys  (Read 1125 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

danileo
« on: November 05, 2006 10:14:29 AM »

Hello,
I was wondering if you all could provide some advice on fabric choices for toys. The toys don't have to be child proof, as they are for teens/adults. I have some patterns for 'beanie baby' type toys and was wondering about the best type of fabric to use for them.
Any info or leads to sites that discuss this would be very
appreciated. Thanks very much in advance,
Best,
Danielle in Denver
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shooting star
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006 11:03:24 PM »

for "beanie baby" style toys I would probably use either fleece material or very short piled fur.

It is entirely up to yourself though and you should play with new materials until you find ones you like to work with.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop

wists

My crafting blog

I'm looking for cable afghan (tunisian) crochet hooks. Personal swap anyone?
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006 06:45:54 AM »

So far I've tried:
Fleece
FLannel
Cotton
Faux Fur
knits
and felt
What I've found is that fleece and flannel sew the best. Fleece is a bit thick and strechy.
Flannel is just as soft but before you wash it you should use pinking shears on the edges. It frays really badly otherwise.
Flannel stuffs well and streches a bit when stuffed. It's soft to the touch and can be stuffed floppy and firmly.
Fleece stuffs nicely as well.
Felt is rough and stuffs very stiff. It's not much fun for me to use. It's pretty cheap though.
Faux fur is a pain in the neck! It sheds while you're cutting, sewing and stuffing. It's hard to turn right side out and a bit of a pain to sew becasue it's so thick. It barely streches and stuffs very firmly.
Cotton should also be pinked around the edge before washing. It's a nice fabric, not soft but not stiff. And it stuffs very nicely. It can strech a bit depending on the bias. It's easy to work with and is not to expensive. Works pretty well for hand sewing too.
Knits are a bit tricky for a beginner. It streches a lot! and it's a bit hard to hand sew. It can be expensive and the fabric has a tendancy to roll on the raw edges. It does stuff well though since it streches so much.

My recomendation is flannel or cotton. Becasue they both work nicely with beans or plastic pellets inside. Smiley
Oh and Always remember to wash your fabric before cutting and sewing. It can gum up your sewing machine and change the look of the fabric. and some fabrics shrink in the wash so it would be horrible if someone's little buddy shrunk after playing with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrspilkingtonknits
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006 10:39:45 AM »

i love using 100% wool felt, but it can get pricey. it's durable and soft and comes in great colours.  the wool blend felt from marcus brothers is also really nice, a bit less costly, and you can get a different, soft nubby texture when you wash and dry it.  it seems like it would be good for beanbag type toys. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Guide: Bohemian Braided Updo
Beauty Guide: Messy Bun Alternative
Beauty Guide: Navy Eyeliner
Beauty Guide: Smudged Eyeshadow
Oscar-Worthy Tips from Lupita’s Makeup Artist
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...