A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: November 2006 Birthday Swap  (Read 14234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gossamer_gull
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2006 02:24:04 PM »

The Baron is awesome - push the stick up, and he appears.  Pull it down, and he goes away.  It even looks like his head and hands will glow in the dark  Grin  My flash washed out his face, but it actually is quite detailed.  Thank you, gossamer_gull!!

You're welcome! I'm really glad you liked the package. I didn't think my sewing skills were good enough for me to attempt an art doll, but a Voodoo puppet seemed doable.

The Baron's head and hands are, in fact, made of glow-in-the-dark Sculpey. (This is the first time I've used it, and I'm very pleased: it doesn't take much light to "charge" it, and it glows quite brightly in darkness.)

The incense, by the way, is honey almond.

Again, I'm glad you liked your surprise. Happy belated birthday!

-- Lori Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2006 04:49:19 PM »

I think the puppet is wonderful!! I never heard of glow in the dark clay--how fun is that?  Did you have instructions to make such a puppet?  I am curious how he disappears...

and honey almond is a great smell!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
gossamer_gull
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2006 07:55:38 PM »

I think the puppet is wonderful!! I never heard of glow in the dark clay--how fun is that?  Did you have instructions to make such a puppet?  I am curious how he disappears...

Thank you!

Yes, the clay was really fun. I had no idea what I'd do with it when I bought it, but it was something I just had to have.

To make the puppet appear and disappear, you hold the cone in one hand, and the bottom knob in the other. Then you just move the dowel up and down to raise and lower the puppet. Cheesy

I didn't have instructions, per se. I found a puppet of this type in a surplus store for just a couple of bucks. The one I bought was a clown...creepy in its own clowny way. Wink Basically, I deconstructed the clown and used its various parts as templates and guidelines for my own.

The rod I used is a foot-long 3/8" dowel. I glued a wooden knob (with a pre-drilled 3/8" hole) to one end, and sculpted the puppet's face around that. (I baked the whole thing, dowel and all, in the oven.)

Next I cut some sturdy cardboard to make into the cone (using the flattened cone from the store-bought puppet as a template), which I shaped, glued, and painted. I used the clown's clothing as a rough guideline for cutting and sewing the Baron's, though I gave this puppet longer arms.

I glued the top of the garment around the neck of the puppet, slid the cone over the dowel, and glued the bottom of the garment around the upper rim of the cone. Then I added fabric and ribbon to the cone, slipped the clay hands inside the sleeves (securing them with strong mosaic glue), added details to the jacket, and glued a wooden knob to the bottom of the dowel.

The hair is fine black yarn, twisted like wee dreds. The hat is a felt doll/bear hat purchased at a craft store. The dowel and knobs were also purchased at a craft store. I used acrylic paint and a variety of glues (wood, fabric, mosaic, and spray adhesive).

< / ramble >
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006 08:03:26 PM by gossamer_gull » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2006 02:27:44 AM »

Crumpet13 is apparently having difficulties getting pictures to post - so she emailed me
pictures to post for her.

here are the fingerless mitts that Miss Mermaid Strikes Back made for her:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/69113100_0253.jpg

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/69113100_0254.jpg
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012 09:47:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2006 06:11:45 AM »

gossamer_gull--this just goes to show how smart craftsters are...how many time have all of us looked at something and said "I can make that..." ha ha

thank you so much for you details--I am always looking for projects of interesting crafts for my youth crafting class--I think they would have fun with this and we can use up our bits of yarn and fabric as well!

I like the hand warmers!! Good for a person who needs to type but has cold hands! Are they sewn together or do you have to plan the size ahead of time?  I have such small hands....everything seems to not fit but if I could sew them shut, I could adjust them?  I am trying the pattern your daughter sent me to see how it works...can you tell I am a newbie at knitting--so many questions--ha ha

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Miss Mermaid Strikes Back

spirit day was crazy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2006 06:34:02 AM »

I like the hand warmers!! Good for a person who needs to type but has cold hands! Are they sewn together or do you have to plan the size ahead of time?  I have such small hands....everything seems to not fit but if I could sew them shut, I could adjust them?  I am trying the pattern your daughter sent me to see how it works...can you tell I am a newbie at knitting--so many questions--ha ha

linda, the pattern i gave you should be for about a six inch wrist, if you need it smaller than that, go down a needle size.  if you need it smaller i would try knitting it on about a size four needle. or just knit it flat, and seam it when youre done, you can do that too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

join the september wish list swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=193590.0

www.wists.com/MissMermaid

enjoy felting? want to trade for some wool dreads? PM me!
gossamer_gull
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2006 02:26:33 PM »

thank you so much for you details--I am always looking for projects of interesting crafts for my youth crafting class--I think they would have fun with this and we can use up our bits of yarn and fabric as well!

You're welcome. This would probably make quite a good craft project, as creativity matters more than experience, and the materials aren't terribly expensive. (I got about a dozen dowels for only $1.99, and the 4-packs of knobs were only a buck or two.)

If you do make any, I'd love to see them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kelsorama

do you think the end of the world is coming...?

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2006 05:38:25 PM »

ok...
I am bad, bad, bad, because I received from indieanajess and Miss Mermaid Strikes Back a looong time ago.
So... no excuses, here are the photos....

This is the beautiful scarf from my Wists, that I received from indieanajess.  I absolutely adore it, and wear it wear it almost everyday(and you can see that it's needed with all the snow!).  She also sent me a couple of other goodies which I didn't get pictures of.  My favorite thing by far though, is the air freshener that has a big pile of crap and says "My shit really don't stink!"  I love it.  Thank you!!!!

And here is what I got from Miss Mermaid. Wow, I was spoiled with this girl.  I absolutely adore them, and wear a different one everyday.

And here is the package I just received from ashestoashes.  I love the stickers, and the card is going to look great in my car!

Also, I would like to state for the record that I have gotten all my thank you notes from everyone.  
And... as if I didn't get enough from everyone, silentdementia sent me a beautiful nest pin from my wists as a thank you!  I absolutely adore it, and it goes great with my purple peacoat and the scarf indieanajess gave me.

Thank you everyone!

Kelsey
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011 03:42:26 AM by Phizzychick - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile. I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well. I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave. I will work work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.
indieanajess
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2006 06:53:39 AM »

I'm glad you liked everything! I'll admit my ignorance and state that I had no idea it snowed in New Mexico, so I'm glad the scarf came in handy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The frontal lobe is where it's at!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2006 07:26:49 AM »

Doesn't she look so cute in her coat and scarf!?

And the pins are also so handy and since she got so many of them, nice to wear a different one each day!

And who doesn't love stickers!!!? Looks like Winnie the Pooh, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Ink Bottle Tool in Flash CS3
How to Use the Paint Bucket Tool in Flash CS3
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Step Backward Command in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Subselection Tool in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...