A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Biggest Crafting regrets....share yours too....  (Read 432 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

djonesgirl
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2006 08:04:43 AM »

When I was about 10 or so, my great aunt passed away and we inherited most of her fabric collection and the most awesome hats and costume jewelry.  My mom was never really into crafty stuff and saw most of it as junk, so she gave it all to us kids.  Well, being kids, we didn't really take care of the stuff, and now I groan every  time I think about how we wasted such a treasure!! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006 01:46:29 PM »

As a child I never asked my grandmother to teach me to sew, quilt, crochet, or anything else. Mostly because I've always been one of those people who tries to figure things out on my own. Partly because of living in a "children shouldn't bother adults" society and because of my mother being increasingly disrespectful of my father's family as the years went by. For that matter I never asked any of my relatives to teach me anything crafty (or, as far as I can remember, anything at all except how to drive and how to make proper biscuits). When they die, you lose the chance; obviously and unfortunately, this applies to anything you want to ask them, not just learning their crafting skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Hollow Shel
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006 07:14:29 PM »

Single biggest regret? Dropping out of college. I'd made a mistake in accomodations when I first started going to a theatre production course, and my commute was killing me. That's really it - I liked the course and was good at it and was learning a good deal. But a 2 hr commute had exhausted me and I was too shy to be shameless and ask for help in fixing my problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive...

Bringing sexy back for a refund. It really just wasn't "me".
Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006 05:29:40 AM »

My maternal grandpa, who was very technical (trained as an electrician) left me all the tools in his well-equipped workshop, but as I was only 10 when he died, I never did anything much with them - Dad had plenty of stuff at home too.  Years later, when Granny sold up to move to the old-age home, I was living on a different continent, and the tools were impossibly heavy to ship, so we sold them all to a dealer and I used the money towards an air-ticket.  How I wish I had them now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006 11:11:57 AM »

I never thought to ask my grandma about her quilting or if her mother, etc etc did it. I also wish I had more of her quilts...i have one. she did basic great-depression-quilts out of her old dresses, but though they were just patchwork quilts and not too intricate i loved looking at the crazy fabric in the patches and thinking, "she wore that!!!" imagining some of those blocks in a whole dress that she actually wore in public just killed me. i was afraid for awhile that i also had foolishly let all her baking lessons evaporate from my mind but once i started compiling cookie recipes and doing them it all came back to me in a wonderful rush. like when i remembered to grease the pan with the butter wrapper. i'd never been so excited about a butter wrapper before...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006 11:17:04 AM »

Hmmm where to start? There have been several times I've given stuff to goodwill I could have reconned. Angry My biggest regret I guess would have to be when mom threw away my grandma's old sewing machine or sold it I don't recall. I was about 12 and didn't take home-ec for another 2 years. I think it got sold at a yard sale right after dad died cause we couldn't take everything with us. Also alot of dads old tools and stuff got sold. man how I could use those saws and things like that now. I think when dad died a lot of stuff went crazy for me. There are way to many regrets..Another story all together. I guess also when I blew this one lady off. SHe was going to give me alot of her and her daughters stuff, but I just didn't have the TIME to go out and get it cause it was like an hour away. I kick myself for it now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tom Rob Smith Talks About Child 44 Part 2
Ashley Bryan Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Tori Spelling Talks About Her Book
Duck for President Book Trailer
Erin Rooney Doland Talks About Unclutter Your Life in One Week
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...