A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recommend a pattern to take my sweater virginity!  (Read 1643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

how_german
« on: November 05, 2006 06:26:01 AM »

I've been looking around on Knitty and I'm considering a few patterns already, particularly Grace. I found a past knitalong and a lot of the girls that worked on it claim the pattern is a bit wonky. Can anyone speak from first-hand experience? I'm a pretty capable knitter of about 2 years but I've never wanted to commit the time to a garment as large as a sweater. I want something simple to start with--no intricate lace or anything like that yet.
I'm not being very particular though...Cardigans, pullovers, shrugs, long-sleeve, short-sleeve, 3/4 sleeve...They're all welcome!

So...What patterns did you guys first attempt as sweater virgins?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

adriennec
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006 08:13:57 AM »

My first, second, and third sweaters are all still in progress, but my recommendation would be to start with something like a top-down raglan.  I'm working on Kyoto, which I believe was written by the same designer as Grace, and I know that I am *dreading* all the finishing and putting together that I'll need to do.  Another sweater in progress is Forecast, which will be much easier to finish, since it's done all in one piece.
Good luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zoe84
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006 09:15:33 AM »

I haven't personally worked on Grace, but I do remember reading on LJ knitting that there were some problems with it.  If you decide to go with that pattern I recommend going to LJseek and looking up those past threads in knitting for tips.

My first sweater was Mariah (also from knitty).  I recommend it if you're looking for something w/ cables.  It wasn't a hard knit, and it got me used to reading charts early in my knitting career. Besides the sleeves, most of the rest of the sweater is stockinette, so you have a nice mix of "paying attention" knitting and mindless knitting.

Edit: oops, I just saw that you wanted something simple to start with.  Well, I still think Mariah is a good pattern if you change your mind.  But I think a good simple knit is Viveka from the latest knitty issue.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006 09:17:17 AM by zoe84 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitticle

staring at the sun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006 10:00:50 AM »

My first (wearable  Wink) sweater was the Hourglass Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts and I cannot reccommend the pattern ENOUGH. Very simple (all st st in the round!) flattering, and not too hefty on the yardage, so you can splash out a little on yarn if you want. But, really, if you're in love with any pattern, I'd say jump right in...knitters are invincible, we can do anything!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

because, you see, the internet is made up of a series of tubes...
knitticle
Just_A_Girl
[Insert witty title here]

Straight to this very day it was the wrong way

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006 01:04:41 PM »

I my self havent actually tried a sweater pattern, Im waiting for X-mas vaca where I will actually have time to do so. The raglan by ohmystars has been suggested as a good first try, found here: http://www.ohmystars.net/craft/knitting/pbuttony.html     
Im hoping to tackle this once finals are over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blame it on the bunny....

[Future home of a someday blog URL]
happy girl
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006 04:42:57 PM »

ubernatural by stephanie japel. the pattern is at magknits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baigneuse
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006 07:39:17 PM »

I knit the Grace sweater not long after the pattern came out and though it was easy to knit the finishing was a bit tricky. If your the same size or similar to the designer the top looks good but if your more busty the sweater looks like this: http://flickr.com/photos/39549049@N00/16284226/in/set-525671/

I would recommend doing the Kyoto sweater by the same designer. It's easy to knit and easier to put together than Grace was.

Other Knitty patterns for sweaters I'd recommend: Tubey and Lite Brite. Both are simple knits and Tubey has the benefit of less finishing to do. Especially if you knit it all in one color instead of stripes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006 07:45:49 PM by Baigneuse » THIS ROCKS   Logged
infantkittensyringe
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006 07:49:51 PM »

Tubey! Easy & flattering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
toothy
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006 04:45:10 AM »

It won't be on Knitty, but, from experience (yea,over 20 years ago now) I can HIGHLY recommend that an Icelandic Sweater be  your first sweater.

Go for a pattern that has you knit in the round up to your armpits, then, each sleeve is knit in the round.  You then put the three peices on one long circular needle and knit your yolk up to your neck.
Voila, about 10 stitches in each armpit and you're done.  Also, for gratification purposes, go for the regular Lopi (or equivalent), not the lite.

If you've not done color work don't be intimidated, it is easy and very satisfying.  It is addictive too - if no one messes with you and you become obsessed enough, you might be able to finish it in a sleepless weekend (that's what happened with my first).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irish_leeny
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006 06:56:46 AM »

The Big Sack Sweater from SnB (the first one) is really easy and works up quickly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Smokey Eyes in 5 Easy Steps
How to Use Your Lipstick in Different Ways
Dramatic Wine Colored Lips at the Bibhu Mohatpatra SS 2014 Show
Punk Princess Inspired Makeup at the Nicole Miller SS 2014 Fashion Show
The Best New Beauty Products for February
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...