A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sew Along: "Sew What! Skirts"  (Read 28616 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daizyduke
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2008 12:36:18 AM »

I have a question aout making these skirts. I have had this book for about a month. I have made a couple of patterns on paper but haven't sewn anything yet. The pattern says to draw a line for the hem at the waist then to plot a line about 1/2" to 1" above it. I am supposed to draw a curved line from one point to the other. I am having a hard time drawing a curved line like the book shows. My line is not straight or curved. It's just sort of wavy. Will the bottom hem look weird if it's not curved? I've never made clothing, just a couple of tote bags. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
kmsmaverick
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2008 05:37:34 AM »

it won't look weird per se, it just won't be round. It will have some extra fabric, probably on the left and right sides of the skirt. Depending on the fabric you choose these could turn into quite nice design features- nice and flow-y. If that isn't what you have in your head, then you might think it looks weird.

as for drawing the curve, it helps if you make many dots and connect them, then making the second curve is a matter of measuring 1/2 inch in many places along the original curve to keep the same arc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewingsolly
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2008 01:06:19 PM »

Hi,
I know what you mean about those pesky curves!  I have got a book from the library about pattern making and it recommends using a "French Curve" So I have bought one and have yet found the time to try it out! It would be good to see pics, As this is a newish skill for me, I am very interested in anything to help. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daizyduke
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2008 02:11:17 PM »

Where can one get a french curve? I've never seen one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
kmsmaverick
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2008 06:14:58 AM »

french curves are often available at art supply shops,
here's the wick page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_curve
oh, and have a look at this one, here is the explanation with regards to sewing in particular!
http://www.sewnews.com/library/sewnews/qa/aaqa0503a.htm
check the notions section of your fabric shop, they are probably there, or perhaps they can special order it for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prairielandherbs
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2008 12:10:46 PM »

I just got this book last night and cannot WAIT to start sewing. I've been enjoying seeing everyone's creations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
somanyideas
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2008 07:13:55 PM »

I am looking into getting this book but am wondering if most, if not all, of the patterns can be adjusted to be ankle or floor-length

Also, has anyone made skirts using these patterns for children? Do they work just as well? Could I just use the standard measurements they give at a store like Old Navy or something? ( I have a lot of kids to sew for and not everyone's measurements)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kathyk
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2008 08:25:09 PM »

I have recently bought this book and am having a lovely time with it. As far as I can see you can adjust your skirts to any length, any size, any way!!

One thing I have noticed though, through trial and error which is part of the wonderful process of creating something yourself anyway,  is that the smaller the skirt the less ease you need to allow.

I could be wrong, but I created a skirt for myself which seems to fit perfectly (not quite finished due to measuring myself incorrectly Angry ), but using the same formula with the same ease for my daughter resulted in a skirt that was too big. Thankfully it was an elasticed waist so no problems and she looks mega cute!

Anyway, this might help some people who are finding waistbands a little on the big side on their completed skirts.

Note to self: Post photos of skirts   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justina2186
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2008 10:06:38 PM »

Oh I have this book too! I haven't sewn anything from it because it happens to be sitting on my bedroom shelf 15000 miles away from here  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PandaShrew

Roller derby is the best cult EVER!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2009 07:40:57 PM »

I got this book about a month ago, in an all night book store at 3am while waiting for my partener to pick me up after a party. Best book ever! Next morning hauled out my Ikea fabric stash and made the first skirt. Even with a hangover the skirt came out fantastic, I made it in a heavy curtain fabric. It sits just were I like my skirts to sit, below the knees on the hips. I'll post if anyones interested. Im going to try "Asian Dream" or "Tourist Trap" next. Just got to get the right fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Also known as Scourge of Quad

Would love to do a personal swap for a Zecora!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Summer Shell Centerpiece
Beach-Inspired Paperweight Crafts
How to Make a Waterproof Picnic Blanket
Handmade Custom Luggage Tags
Homemade Watercolor Paint with Brendan Fraser
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...