A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sew Along: "Sew What! Skirts"  (Read 30552 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

veganmom
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006 07:11:51 PM »

karls_mommy: If it makes you feel any better... I'm a plus-size and the a-line on me is very forgiving of the booty. It's a large part of the reason why I keep banging out more skirts... not only is it fun, it helps my wardrobe out inmmensely!

OnTheEdge: Cool! Great job!

I didn't have any problems getting my first zipper in... but the skirt overall ended up too big somehow. I'm glad your zipper worked out!

V.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006 07:17:49 PM »

So, the skirts in this book are easily adaptable for plus sizes? I hesitate to buy these books sometimes thinking the patterns won't resize well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veganmom
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006 10:15:08 PM »

There are no patterns.  You draw your own based on your body measurements. So yes, def. plus-size friendly.

I've been drawing mine on a roll of brown mailing paper.

V.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006 07:45:03 AM »

Neat. I'm gonna def check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veganmom
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006 09:22:52 PM »

The only thing left on this one is to hand sew the waist casing shut now that the elastic is in, but I'll save that for another day. Getting late and have to hit the sack.

I use a cotton twill camo-flower print in cream, wine, and purple.

Here's the skirt on the kitchen floor:

Here's the skirt on moi:

It actually started out to be skirt #2 from the book with the zipper. I didn't have any problem getting it in but somehow I miscalculated and even though I felt it was large I carried on putting in the facings and all that. Then came to find it was 3 inches too big when it put it on!

So I ripped out the facings, the zipper, finished sewing up the side, and changed it to a bias type hem for the bottom and then matching quilt binding for the waist. Thank goodness for elastic!

Enjoy!
V.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006 09:24:34 PM by veganmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
OnTheEdge
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006 02:13:33 AM »

I like how that one turned out.  It looks very good on you.  I am going to have so many skirts now.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karls_mommy
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006 07:23:35 AM »

veganmom: Outstanding I LOVE that fabric!!

OnTheEdge:
  Ditto on your fabric too!  I can never find really outstanding fabrics in my LCS. Sad

I did finally find a fabric.  I am not sure how it will look on me, but darn it, it's cool and I had to dig it from the deep recesses of the clearance tables.  It's in the washer now.  I will keep you posted on progress/completion.  I'm crossing my fingers now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karls_mommy
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2006 01:48:42 PM »

Okay, I finished my first skirt.  I wanted to add ribbon detailing about 5 inches from the waistline, but the ribbon was too delicate to sew.  The machine just shredded it. :-(  It didn't quite turn out perfect, but I think I'll actually wear it.  Admittedly, I'm not excited about drawstrings, but I wanted to start at the beginning.  I really love my fabric, and may even consider making another down the road minus the drawstring and with some extra detailing, in that same fabric.

I am including a pic of the finished skirt, and a close-up of the fabric.  I will have DH take an action pic of the skirt later.

Pleas give me some honest feedback.  I'm feeling kind of disappointed in how I executed the pattern - too wide, etc.  Undecided

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OnTheEdge
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006 04:32:16 PM »

I'm not a fan of drawstrings in skirts myself, but that one looks like it turned out great.  I would have to see it on and see how it hangs before I say if it's too wide and all that. Wink I love the fabric and the blue sets it off very well.  I think you did a great job. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
veganmom
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2006 09:20:22 PM »

I agree. A pix of you in it would help for getting more accurate feedback. But on the floor it looks great. The drawstring and trim go well with the fabric and the fabric itself is fun! Smiley

I'm not wild about drawstrings either, but like you, I just wanted to start at the beginning and move along.

Did you not want as much of an angle for the a-line? Do you think you can measure this with a protractor so you just know for future reference not to go bigger than a ___ degree angle?

I've got a "Ribbon Wizard" but haven't yet successfully learned how to deal with it. It's supposed to making sewing ribbons on by sewing machine neater.

V.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Poori Part 3/3
How to Serve Tempura Shrimp and Vegetables
How to Make Tempura Shrimp and Vegetables Sauce
How to Make Chicken Curry
Chicken Curry: How to Fry Rempah and Cook Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...