A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help dyeing terry cloth wristband!  (Read 883 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juan_solo
« on: November 04, 2006 09:02:22 AM »

I want to dye a white terry cloth wristband black with a red stripe. I tried this a few times with a regular fabric die however I could not control the bleed that happened as the fabric took the dye. So my red stripe didn't work out. Is there a type of dye or method I could use to create a relatively clean red stripe before or after I dye the rest of the wristband black? I am totally lost here and any help would be awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006 10:03:07 PM »

This is going to be hard to do with a thick, loopy fabric like terry. However, you can try something like this: Dye the whole thing red howsoever you want. Then buy some resist - there are lots of different resists out there for silk painting, but I've also seen it at Michaels called something else - I can see if I still have a tube of it around here soe - what it does is block dye or paint, it is a sort of gel or liquid depending on the type you get. I'd go with a thicker gel if I were you. Also get a bottle of black dye-na-flow paint. Use the gel resist to block out the red stripe - add it with a brush or whatever, but try to completely saturate the red stripe with the gel. Then use the dye-na-flow to paint the rest of the terry black. I think there will still be some bleeding due to the thickness of the fabric, it is hard for the gel to soak in, and the fabric will also suck up a lot of the paint (which is a very low viscosity paint) and erode the gel. I've done this on light cotton knits, and I needed to add the gel from both sides to get it to soak through enough, and there was still some bleeding, so I'm not sure how well it would work on terry.

Another possibility is to start off with a black terry and either 1) bleach out the red band (black often bleaches to a reddish color, the exact color depends on the dye, it might not bleach, or might turn yellow, you don't know until you test it or 2) paint the red stripe with a thick paint like Neopaque that will block out the black. Adding a thick paint would make it stiffer.

Or buy red and black terry, cut them into strips, and sew your wristband....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ma2maya
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006 02:56:54 PM »

O.K. I am totally not trying to be snarky but if the end result is more important than the process(creating it yourself) you might be better off purchasing a wristband like you want.
Terrycloth can be difficult to work/dye with and the cost of the materials will probably be more than if you purchased the bands.

However, if it is the process that you are really interested in, ditto to what the PP said Wink

Kathy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desert Dyeworks Color, meet Fabric!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kati Martin Reflects on Her Life - Happiness, Pain, and Loss
Dr. John Norcross on "Changeology"
"The Blessed" Book Trailer
"Seven Thousand Ways to Listen" Interview with Mark Nepo
Cyndi Lauper on Her Memoir
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...