A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,903
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stitch Diva's Hiawatha Poncho  (Read 6212 times)
Tags for this thread: poncho  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2004 07:04:13 AM »

Jumping on the poncho bandwagon with this lovely little number by Stitch Diva. The Hiawatha pattern was very easy to do (once I realized that I crochet really tightly and had to increase my hook to an M) and the color weaving with the contrasting yarn turned out quite nicely in the end. All in all, it was a relatively easy pattern to do and I can't wait to wear it in the cooler weather.

Jill

THIS ROCKS   Logged

hudelei
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004 07:53:41 AM »

That looks great!  I've just finished up that pattern too and it was much easier than I expected it to be.  What kind of yarn did you end up using?  One of the ones that were recommended or did you substitute something else?  I'm interested in what other yarns might work for it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004 08:17:42 AM »

I actually used the yarn that was called for because my husband pissed me off that day (I am sure I am not the only one who does that). However, I have three full hanks left over (and some of a fourth) so I don't know if I really messed it up or what. When I initially started it, I got to the second round after the connecting part when I realized that it wasn't going to fit over my chest. I hate doing a gauge swatch and this was my first non-shawl or dish cloth crochet pattern so I didn't think that it would be an issue. WRONG! Anyway, I think that I will try to make the Chic Knits bucket hat out of the excess and felt it. Otherwise, I have some really lovely Uraguaian (spelling looks really wicky) yarn left over. What kind did you use?

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hudelei
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004 10:18:50 AM »

I had absolutely no cash to buy yarn for it and didn't want to wait to try it out, so I went into the Bin of Misfit Yarns, where I keep my stash of stuff I never found quite the right use for.  I had some Schachenmeyr Nomotta Melodia in turquoise and despite how beautiful it felt, I had never been able to find anything I wanted to make in that color.  The conditioned mohair and the little squiggly theads woven in it mean it doesn't look at all like the Stitch Diva pic or yours, but it's still pretty cool.  I'm only mid-way through the fringing.

I did a half-hearted sort of swatch with a couple of my yarns, got nowhere, and so I just started trying the blasted thing on repeatedly as I crocheted.  That is one DEEP keyhole on me, but I think overall the fit turned out more or less right.

I am really impressed if that's your first 3-D project!  You chose well, though, because that pattern didn't have pesky arms and a lot of assembly and sewing together and other nastiness (I hate sewing, God, how I hate sewing, even the little bits that I do to put crocheted pieces together; wish I could discover the joy there, but it's beyond me).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hudelei
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004 05:45:30 AM »

Adding the pic, a month after I mentioned making the poncho! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004 05:59:13 AM »

Hudelei -

Your poncho looks great! I normally shy away from that color, but I love the way the stitches turn out in it. You can really see the definition in the pattern. I think I might actually where mine today as it has finally (thank goodness) turned a little chilly in these here mountains (it sounds so much more suave if you say it with a psuedo southern accent - channel Yosemite Sam).

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gurlpurl

born 200 years too late

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004 09:46:07 PM »

i just love stitch diva designs, you did a great job with your poncho!
~b
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like bats
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2012 Emmy Awards Hairstyle Trends
How to Style Brunette Hair
How To Do A Reverse Side Braid Like Miley Cyrus
Curling Your Hair... With A Flat Iron?
Pink Loves Miley Cyrus New Do
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...