A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make high school craft fair better?  (Read 864 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LOLMegan

You all everybody!

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2006 07:24:47 PM »

I'm in marching band and twice a year we host a craft fair to raise money.
I've never actually had a booth in a craft fair, so I was wondering how the organizers could make it a better experience for the crafters.

I'm not sure about how much we charge, but here's what I do know:
-We help with the unloading/setting up/packing up of the crafts
-We provide tables and chairs
-We give you a menu to order things from the food area, then deliver it to your table
-We advertise (Signs around the city, posters around schools and in stores, newsletters, mass emails, ect.)
-There's no fee to get into the craft show and look around/buy

I'm always looking for ideas to improve and I'd love your opinions!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006 01:48:36 PM by LOLMegan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsters fear the ordinary, not the impossible!
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006 05:48:11 PM »

Sounds awesome already!!!
The craft show i'm in costs $35...no bells and whistles like yours..just the table and a chair.

What to charge depends on how many people will be coming to check out the craft show...is there a big turnout??? If so then it would be reasonable to charge about $40-or so because you will be helping out, feeding them and advertising.

(That is just my 2-cents...Hope that helps in how you want to price yours)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
itscribe
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006 08:05:53 AM »

That sounds like a wonderful fair for the crafters. I would suggest you mention dates and location here as well. I'm sure any crafters around here would be very interested in something like that.

Some other basic things I would suggest...

Make some standards for the booths - don't let those folks with the cheap commercial gifts and trinkets set up giant booths - I am so turned off by fairs that do that.

Try not to put two of the same type of artisan together ie. don't put 2 jewelry booths next to each other.

One thing you didn't mention is electric - are you offering access to electric, most fairs will charge extra for that.

Since you are raising money for your band, I would maybe include in the price of participating a item to be donated for door prizes or if allowed (not sure of tax rules on this) a raffle or silent auction. You might also be able to get donations of goods and services from local companies to include as well. Be sure to include any of these generous benefactors in your fliers - a chance to win a free night at the local B & B might bring in a bunch of folks.

I would also look into every newspaper, magazine, or anything on the web that lists community activities - many do this for free and those that don't, ask if they will give you a discount or freebie since this is for your band and is not really a for-profit situation. Get someone in the group who is a good writer to submit a press release to your local paper. Local kids helping themselves, band has unique way to raise money for new uniforms or whatever you use the money for, or something of that nature that could lead to a feature article.

What a cool idea to raise money for a school group.

Here's wishing you success and to earning the funds you need for the year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006 08:35:52 AM »

i conqur, Having each crafter donate one item for a raffle is key. My high school's band does the same thing every year and they always have that raffle thing. It raises some extra money just for them....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
saucerville

Art. It's what I do.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006 01:52:20 PM »

When organizing a craft fair, the key is to keep the crafters happy.  If they walk away at the end of the day with money in their pockets, they're more likely to tell their crafty friends to apply and more likely to return the following year.  I'd say that asking for a door prize is alright, but some people really find that a turnoff, so making that optional would probably be best.  People with large/expensive items may not like a mandatory donation, especially since they've already paid a fee.  For an indoor show, I'd say the standard fee is between $20 and $40.  Don't be greedy, though.   If you charge a lot for the booth make sure that you advertise like CRAZY.  There's nothing worse than spending money to set up your stuff and then having nobody come.  Crafters like to make sales.  That's why they sign up for shows.  I'd say as long as you're promoting the show and being careful to choose quality crafters--no cheap trinkets or stuff that isn't handmade--you're good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 2/13
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 1/13
How to Connect Crocheted Yoyos
How To Change Colors in Tire Tread Pattern Crochet
How to Choose Yarn Colors for Rainbow Crochet
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...