A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "It's outta sight!", sling bag **Tutorial on Pg. 3!!**  (Read 61518 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

justchar
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006 04:16:28 PM »

I love that fabric...very cool purse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006 05:28:20 PM »

That is one happenin' bag!  I love the fabric!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nappyolme

I'm an unconventional conventionist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006 02:51:43 PM »

I haven't forgotten about you guys! Life and school have just gotten in the way but I'm hoping to do a tute this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La La Land: A Craft Journal
http://supraargo.blogspot.com

Check out my etsy shop
http://www.oiyko.etsy.com

Life is short, live like it!
nappyolme

I'm an unconventional conventionist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007 10:37:30 AM »

Here's the promised tutorial...I may have lied when I said it was good for a beginner  Undecided ...we'll see

1. Start with some fabric for the outside, lining, and strap.

I just use a magazine to judge how large I want my pieces to be...not precice...I know, but it works for me. Some rough dimensions: lining & outer body pieces 12" long, 10.5" wide

2. So, cut out outer and inner fabric (two of each).  You can also cut out interfacing if you will use it.

3. For the straps measure the width of the bottom against the pieces of outer/inner fabric you cut out.  You want the straps to look like this before cut out.. Rough strap dimensions are 25" long by 4" wide @ bottom

this is that they'll look like in end (after bag is complete)...

so we want to cut each side out to nearly equal the width of the bag (is that clear? It may become clearer in a second).

4. You want to cut out 8 pieces total of "strap" fabric.  I eyeballed my angles but you don't want to make the length of the straps too thin or you won't have room to sew the pieces together.

5.  Now we're going to cut out our little edge pieces of fabric.  Cut out four triangles (only four because we are only putting them on the outer fabric).  They rougly measured  4" on each side. While you're cutting the triangles it may help to put them against the outer/inner fabric edges to see if they will fit like this...

Cut out 4 like this..

Leave a half inch around the edges of the triangle for seam allowances.

This is what they look like pinned on.

6.  Add whatever things you may want on the inside of the purse (pockets, tags, whatever).  I used velcro closure.  Now the body of the purse is ready to go.

7.  Back to those pesky straps...Now we want to pin the pieces of strap together (at the straight edge) by twos as shown.  Then sew those suckers together like so...

8. Now put the angled edges of two (newly formed) strap pieces together to form two new larger pieces like this one...

9.  Take those two big ole weird looking pieces and sew them together at the top (smaller end not the wider end) like so...

10.  Almost to the end of the strap stuff...now take that really big piece and fold it over itself on the wrong side and pin edges and sew...

11.  Now turn that sucker to the right side...it takes patience..

Yay!! This is your finished strap...

12.  Back to the purse body...sew the triangles of strap fabric onto the outer fabric (repeat 4 times)...

13.  When finished with other pockets (if you want any) sew on velcro closure...

and lay outer and inner pieces together on their wrong sides.  Sew around edges but leave space at the bottom of the lining pieces (like 3 inches)...

14.  Getting ready to wrap it up!!  Place your strap inside your outer part (on wrong side still).  Once you situate the strap (to look the way it should in the end), place your lining part inside the outer (lining part on the right side.

15.  Sew that sucker shut at the top edge...

16.  Then pull it on through...

Phew!! There you have it!   

The one I made is just big enough to hold a magazine, next time I'll make it a bid wider and taller.

Sorry for all the pictures but I hope they helped...If there are any unclear statements please let me know...This is my first tute so it could need a lot of tweaking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La La Land: A Craft Journal
http://supraargo.blogspot.com

Check out my etsy shop
http://www.oiyko.etsy.com

Life is short, live like it!
aislinsmommee
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007 10:53:37 AM »

Oh My Gosh! I'm completely in awe and terribly jealous all at once! That's an awesome bag, and a wonderful tutorial to boot. Now I'm inspired to try something new. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you dont have anything nice to say, at least have the decency to be vague.
Mylasbags
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007 03:59:59 PM »

What a good tut. When you first posted the bag, I wondered how the strap was put on. Now I know and can make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, Love, Laugh.. it's what I do!
gaucamolegreetings
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007 09:47:34 PM »

Great job!  Thanks so much for the tute.  I have a felted sweater I've been looking for something to do with, and I think this is it.  Not as cool as your awesome, far out fabric though.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yatta
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007 10:08:46 AM »

that's too cute -- great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thanks all!

Yatta. | handmade small goods
http://www.yattabags.com

"When I grow up I wanna be a Yorkie farmer"
-------------------------------------------------
ica_grnKhameleon

I see a green chameleon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007 10:19:21 AM »

that's awesome, and thanks for the tut!!!did you make your shirt too? it looks like the same fabric  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
    The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
    Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;
        Alexander Pope, "Eloisa to Abelard"
        English poet & satirist (1688 - 1744)
CraftyPirateGirl

The Craftsters made me do it

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007 10:34:10 AM »

Great!  Thank you very much for the tutorial.  I'm adding this to my list of things to do "when I have time."  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting apparel and gifts at www.CraftingShirts. com

You can see the rest of my web-based work at www.OuterMonologue. com and www.PiratesCloset.c om.

*** Out of pocket for a while to move into our new house!  I'll try to check in periodically. : )  Ciao! ***
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 15/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 2/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 19/19
How to Crochet Leaves Part 5/6
How to Crochet Leaves Part 4/6
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...