A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
810 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: RE-sizing a corset???  (Read 513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2006 05:58:57 AM »

Ok here is the deal. and I hope I am posting this is the right place. This is my first post that I am starting instead of replying to. I have seen stuff about corsets but this is not only a corset but vinyl >.< So here goes:

DH bought me this adorable vinyl corset. I absolutely adore it...but...he bought a size XL. It fits perfect everywhere but yup you guessed it, my girls. I have no clue how to go about making my tiny in between size B and C cup ladies fit into a corset that has a bust size of a friggin DD. That is the only place that is too big. I am so scared to cut it up and destroy it. I have a lot of vinyl but I've never got around to making anything with it. It's still on the rolls. And this is clothing style vinyl, or sometimes dubbed "PVC". Like the fetish wear stuff. Not the stiff stuff for placemats, tablecloths, upholstery, etc. It's thin.

I am still fairly new to sewing. I took a sewing class when I was in HS, then when my machine broke I lost interest. Now several years later I am trying it all over again. So I know NOTHING about how to alter this garment. And I am too cheap to pay someone to do it, when I know I can probably do it myself! Smiley

Can someone help me?? Point me in the right direction?? Please *begs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006 06:14:54 AM »

Any chance you could post pictures of the corset?  I am a very visual person and it would help to see just how it is constructed before figuring out how to tell you how to fix it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006 06:19:51 AM »

I will try to post pics after work. I can't afford a digital cam so my webcam will have to do, they might be blurry. Hopefully still legable though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006 05:11:32 AM »

I uploaded pics in photobucket. Can you tell me how to post them? I am still new so I am not totally sure how. I thought I was doing it right but I get a lil box with a red x  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006 06:13:25 AM »

Here's Craftster's info on posting pictures: http://www.craftster.org/craftsterguide.html#anchor5b

I am not very good at it myself.  I don't do it often enough to be able to tell someone how to post pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
bombgirl

i subscribe to the george lass work ethic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006 06:22:49 AM »

um i'd either try to put darts in the back where there is no boning (depending on the boning situation)

but seriously if you're new to sewing, there's a lot of boning and tehre's lining and especially if this piece was expensive, i'd just pay the money to get it done right and to not risk fucking it up royally

if it was from a fancy place they might even do it for you for free
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLICKR!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupcakesrevenge/<br /><br />inspiration and desires... www.wists.com/bombgirl<br /><br />craft blog! (if you\'re my swap partner, NO PEEKING!) <br />http://yourfaceiswhereblogsgotodie.blogspot.com/
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006 11:03:41 AM »

OK let us see if this works. Here is my corset, and the terrible pictures thanks to my horrible webcam. I need a digital bad. But this will have to do for now. Maybe someone can tell me if it's possible for me to do the alterations...or if yea I should just have someone alter it and cough off the extra dough. Any comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks

THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006 01:32:20 PM »

I would definitely have it professionally altered. It is a gift from DH and you don't want to be unable to wear it even once, I'm sure. This stuff isn't easy to sew, I know I would not  touch it as one of my first projects getting back into sewing after years away from doing it. And there really isn't any room for error, since once needle holes are in there they are in there for good.
And kudos to your dh for seeing DD when he looks at your B/C's!  Grin
Men... gotta love 'em.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kid Friendly "Frankenstein" Pudding Cups Recipe
Rustic Apple Tart Recipe
Baking Halloween Cupcakes with Christina Applegate
How to Make a Bloody Poison Punch
Perfect Chocolate Tombstone Cake For Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...