A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A few questions...Opinions??  (Read 526 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hdawn79

I fell into fantasy

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2006 02:49:26 AM »

First of all, I want to say what a great community this is!  I signed up a long time ago and have lurked on and off over the years.  Lately I've been researching what all I have to do to start a business (after all, my family and friends love the stuff I've made  Roll Eyes lol).   I plan on opening an ebay and esty store within the next couple of months, before I launch my own website.  I'm interested in selling jewelry that has sort of a rock&roll/punky/goth edge.  Possibly also eventually getting into different accessories in the future ( hair, belts, etc.).  I've been brainstorming for a name for my business and I think I've settled on Midnight's Muse.  I wanted it to sound kind of "dark and mysterious" but not too dark that it would scare away the "normal" people,  lol.  Any opinions on the name?  Do you think it should be "Midnight's Muse Designs" (doesn't sound right to me) or something else like that?  If you don't like that name, any other suggestions?  

I was playing around in Paint Shop today and came up with this possible logo (smaller of course).  Thoughts?

I'm not a graphic artist by any means, so please be honest.  Does the fact that she's blowing the stars into the sky come across?  After staring at it for a while, it's starting to look like she's trying to kiss them.  Does the top of her hair/head look weird?  With the curls starting as far back as they do, does it make her head look too big?  I couldn't figure out what to do exactly.  Sometimes I look at it and it looks ok, other times not.  Should I move the words or placement of anything around to make it look better?  More/less stars?  (And it's totally ok to just say "the whole thing sucks...start over", lol.)

Sorry this is so long.  I'm pretty nervous about this whole adventure and you all are the best people to ask.  I know you will be honest, unlike friends/family who I sometimes feel just say they like things to be nice.

Oh yeah...MidnightsMus e.com is currently available, so I'm ok there.

Thanks to anyone who responds!

~Heather
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012 12:47:39 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skrabadoo
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006 05:21:07 AM »

I really like the graphic.   It's very eyecatching.   It would also make a good business card. 

The only thing I'm wondering is if you are going to use it as tags or bag toppers as well.  If you are having them printed that's fine but of you are doing them at home... that's alot of ink. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msmeow
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006 06:20:42 AM »

I think your name sounds great!  It's got the dark edge but it's not overly goth and off putting. And if the domain name is available right now, you might want to buy it just so you have it when you want to start up your own website.

Your idea for a logo looks a little too dark to me.  It's hard to make out the figure against the background and the text.  I agree it's also kinda big if you're ever thinking of expanding and want a tag to sew on to belts, say.
This is just my opinion--but I'd think about trying to incorporate the design into the text so it really become s a logo and a brand. If you want to look at all kinds of crazy fonts you can check out www.dafont.com.  If you need help with the logo I've seen lots of people on craftster who often trade their services for goods.  And I wouldn't be a good girlfriend if I didn't say that my boyfriend is a graphic designer and could help.  But he charges, not much for a fellow craftster though.

Good luck on starting up!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hbic
Home Deconomics

A little home ec, a little home dec

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006 08:44:59 AM »

I think your logo and name are great. But the others brought up some great points I wouldn't have thought of. What if you play with it in black and white? Like if you were to use it for fax letterhead or something else very basic. It might help you refine it and answer some of your other questions. Look at your current logo as the delux if-I-had-an-unlimited-printing-budget one, and now work on the smallest simplified version. I bet somewhere in between you will find the perfect image.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand made home decor
xcb
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006 09:18:17 AM »

Not so much.

If you're looking for a LOGO, it needs to be simple. Think about all the logos you've ever seen.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:qBxQm0j2suIBkM:http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/det/images/awards/Mcdonalds_logo.gif
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:RTTMNmT9R9KpLM:http://www.pepsico.com/PEP_Company/Overview/images/img_pepsi_logo.gif
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:YdBginhv3WWnUM:http://www.kig-as.dk/billeder/BP-logo.gif

They stick in your brain because they're not all... picturey and cute.  They're fairly abstract; much more like sigils than photorealistic representations of things. Marketing people spend years and years and years thinking about this sort of junk and I'm pretty sure that they'd argue that simple is better. The same goes for themesong type things. If you're a TV watcher, my guess is that you remember Intel's little ding-ding-ding-ding chimes. Simple, simple, simple.

My advice would be to simplify. I think sigils make great logos. If you're not conversant, google for the works of AO Spare and sigilization. There's a fair amount of info out there.

Or not. Smiley

Good luck!

Edited to remove hotlinks - jungrrl
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007 08:43:30 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - HLM
hdawn79

I fell into fantasy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006 10:48:17 AM »

Thanks everyone!  You all brought up some good points.  I was worried about the amount of ink it would use if I were to print anything at home and also wondering if it was too busy for a logo.  It kinda seemed more like a website banner than a logo.  This was just a first draft to get the ball rolling, so I'll definitely work on simplifying it.  Any other comments/ideas would still be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Recycled Bows
Creating Hanging Votive Candles
How to Make Paper Mache
Tortoise Sweaters Causing a Buzz
How to Make Soap
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...