A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: old pair of pumas + recycled thrift store sweater = rad argyle boots!  (Read 105378 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leethal
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006 08:41:40 PM »

wow thanks for all the great responses!  i'm finally home from work and able to reply back...

i got the concept from these posts: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=73848.0 and http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67859.0 with more inspiration from the new CRAFT magazine's knitted boots article.  but i suppose my way of doing it was different from all the others, so i made up some tutorial drawings to explain my methods.....

ok this is the way i made them.  you can totally change things (like the shoe type, fabric type, etc) but i'm just telling you how mine were made.  here it goes!

first, you'll need a pair of shoes that have rubber (or some material that you can staple into) around the bottoms, and that you can leave tied all the time and get your feet in and out.  and then you'll need a big wool sweater - each side (front and back) needs to be at least wide enough to wrap all the way around the bottom of a shoe.  i washed my wool sweater in the machine (cold, delicate cycle) to felt it just a bit, so it won't unravel at all, and that made it a little thicker/stiffer.  (if you want to use a sweater that will unravel, just sew a hem on the top of each boot and it should be fine.)

so the front of the sweater will be one boot and the back will be the other, with the bottom of the sweater going along the bottoms of the boots.  lay out the sweater, hold a shoe aligned with the bottom, and decide how high you want your boots to be.  now cut off the bottom at that point.

cut between the front and back sections, and check how long the pieces need to be to fit around the shoes; cut off excess.  now take one piece of sweater, fold it in half, inside out, hold your shoe over it, and sketch a line where you'll want to sew the boot, like this.

pin in place to keep the top and bottom lined up.  now sew it up along the line, and cut off the leftover part.

turn it right side out, and pull it over the shoe to check the fit.  you can turn it back and sew in closer at this point, if it needs adjusting.  once this boot piece is perfect, try to recreate it exactly the same with the other piece.  when they are both done, fit them over the shoes, and staple (yup, staple! with a normal stapler) around the bottom of the shoes.

it helped with mine that the bottom of the sweater naturally curled up, so the curling hides the staples.  if the staples show and look bad, you could sew or glue a trim around the bottom to cover them up.  or, you could try just gluing the sweater to the shoes instead of stapling.

ok i hope this helps you all, i've never really made a tutorial before.  i'd love it if you'd post your creations so i can see other peoples' takes on the concept!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leethal.net + leemeredith.com
phreeduh
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006 11:48:56 PM »

did the staples "close" (as in, there's no bit sticking into the shoe that is gonna hurt my fragile toe-sies)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's a hole in the bottom of the sea. did you know?
tickleagangster
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006 11:21:34 AM »

Brilliant!! I love it! Great tutorial, thanks a bunch. I've got to make some and post here.  You made it really simple, I thought I was going to have to glue or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
leethal
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006 09:44:54 AM »

about the staples closing - the shoes i used had enough rubbery part that the staples never reach the insides of the shoes.  so, they don't close, but they don't stick into my feet either.  it'll just depend on what kind of shoes you use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jackmo
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006 09:55:13 AM »

*gasp*

I want some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The advice write only what you know increases the likelihood that you will know the same things forever.
DoppelgangerXLove
Be my friend! I'll introduce you to the voices in my head!!! YAY!!!

les voix dans ma tte n'aiment pas chaque autre...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006 10:41:42 AM »

Awesome! I want to make some!!!! Um, know it's been said a million times before, but HOW DO YOU DO THAT?HuhHuhHuhHuh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizzle
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006 11:25:08 PM »

This is quite possibly the best thing I've seen today.  Next time I go thrifting, I'll be looking for big big big sweaters.  So cool.
Also, have you worn them out a fair amount?  How do they hold up to walking around?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leethal
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006 12:40:15 AM »

yeah they are holding up really well... so far i've worn them a couple days walking around vegas, a couple days at work, and some other walking around town and stuff.  no staples have come out yet, like i was afraid they might.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One Tree Forest
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006 03:16:12 AM »

The perfect thing for winter, great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silly

I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006 12:38:28 PM »

I am so definitely making a pair.  All of the ones made and posted thus far are cuuute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

By the way, I never liked your face.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Beauty Tips: Look Hot in the Heat
How to Wear Tinted Moisturizer
Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Workout Routine
The Best Summer Beauty Tips You Should Use
4 Tips to Look Dynamite in Your Bikini
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...