A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knittin' mittens  (Read 2114 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006 05:46:03 PM »

Again, thanks for the compliments!!!!

Those are very pretty! Michael's has SWS on sale... hmm. I've made a hat with it, it's soooo nice. Did you use a pattern? I like their shape a lot better than many of the "heavier weight" mittens I've seen.

I used the basic mitten pattern form Ann Budd's Handy Book of Patterns.  I casted on 36 stitches on 4mm needles and went from there. A hat?? Now that would be a nice compliment to the mittens...how many balls for a hat?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theresa88
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006 06:15:41 PM »

Love the mittens and the yarn is so pretty.  DH wants mittens, so I think I will be making some soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tookie
It's Spleentastic!

I'm more Peter Pan than you are.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006 07:32:25 PM »

I managed a roll brim hat to fit my (large) head easily out of one ball. I didn't want a huge roll, so I actually had about 10m left over, on 5mm needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Non est delirus in terra mea~
http://www.victorinia.blogspot.com
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006 10:31:22 PM »

Does Michael's still have a sale going on? Cuz I went there today and they were about 5.99 a skein. I'm totally in love with the natural earth colored one. I was thinking of using it for a Lady Eleanor, but someone using the yarn for it on the KAL said she bought like 11 skeins! So I'm going to start clipping coupons and buy them on skein at a time...lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
spicecarrie
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006 11:15:42 PM »

Your mittens are so cute! And now everyone has me wanting to try the patons yarn! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

biblia
20-something peace worker and errant librarian

Batgirl was a librarian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006 09:16:42 AM »

I'm loving this mittens.  A quick question about mitten-making in general (since you seem to be good at it!).  Is it difficult like sock knitting?  Do I have to "turn" anything?  I'm sort of learly to try mittens since I can't even do a sock! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
    - The Onion, 28 May 2003
kaytm
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006 10:09:43 AM »

I am going to have to pick some of that up.  Mittens were going to be my family present already this year.  And I am always up for trying a new yarn.

smilz,
kayt

THIS ROCKS   Logged
karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006 11:34:28 AM »

I'm loving this mittens.  A quick question about mitten-making in general (since you seem to be good at it!).  Is it difficult like sock knitting?  Do I have to "turn" anything?  I'm sort of learly to try mittens since I can't even do a sock! Huh

Hmmmm....I knit socks and mittens.  I think the only real similarity is that I use dpn's for both.  There is nothing to "turn" when knitting mittens.  Essentially you knit a cuff and a few rounds below where the thumb starts, there is usually, but not always a series of increases for the thumb gusset.  When you are done the increases for the thumb gusset, you place those stitches on a stitch holder and continue knitting in the round until it's time to start shaping the top which is usually a series of decrease rounds alternating with plain knit rounds.  When you get down to a few stitches, you just use a needle and pull your working thread through the stitches, tighten it, and voila! Oh, then you have to go back, pick up the thumb stitches and knit the thumb.

Ok, doesn't sound easy, but if you can knit a scarf, you can knit mittens!!!!!!  Unfortunately, I can't recommend a free online pattern.  I've tried several and they all had errors in them which trust me, is frustrating!!   

Perhaps someone has a suggestion for an error-free beginner's mitten pattern for you?

Please don't let what I said scare you, they are easy!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006 01:51:00 PM »

I saw the yarn in Michaels and was wondering wtf I would actually use it for. I LOVE the way your mittens look, and I may try some now, with the incentive.

It's so soft! I was expected a rougher yarn, with the wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Match Eye Shadow to Eye Color: Blue Eyes
How to Match Eye Shadow to Eye Color: Brown Eyes
How to Match Eye Shadow to Eye Color: Green and Hazel Eyes
Greening Your Beauty Routine with Sophie Uliano
How to Fix Allergies From Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...