A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Panties! And a vauge tutorial.  (Read 15473 times)
Tags for this thread: underwear , panties , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2006 11:15:45 PM »

Hey everybody! I was hard at work tonight perfecting the pattern for panties. I'm a loser, I know. But I'm a whore for panties and I can almost justfiy spending 15 dollars on them...almost. Then I realized I had more stretch knit fabric than anybody will ever use, ever, and I probably buy on average about 5 yards a week. Its an addiction, okay?

So it began...

These are all made of stretch knit, which is t shirt fabric, though some of the fabric was quite a bit more elastic, and kept its shape better. None of them are hemmed (which is the joy of stretch knit) and I didnt use elastic, for comfort reasons. And sewing reasons. Sewing stretch fabric without a serger is bad enough, why make it worse?

And here is the general idea of the shapes you should be cutting out.

If you're a size small, this pattern's dimensions went something like...

Front: 14 inch wide waist, 3 1/2 inch side, 8 inches in length on the crotch part. The width of the skinny part of the crotch is 3 1/2 inches. Scoop is improvise and you should use your favorite pair of undies as a guide.

Back: 14 inch wide waist, 6 inches in length at the longest point. The part where the crotch piece of the front will meet is 3 1/2 inches long.

The crotch piece was cut at 2 1/2 inches wide and about 3 1/2 inches long.

Holy crap! I took a photo of this on a cutting board with a measurement grid! I was rotary-cutting it (very good for cutting stretch knit, too, because you dont get those weird scissor-snag things). Yes, I did cut myself on the rotary cutter.

Please cut the fabric so it stretches from side to side. Please.

Now you make a sandwich of the crotch piece, the front piece, and the back piece. Right sides together, and make sure the crotch piece is hanging near the top edge of the front piece of the panty. This will make sense once you actually cut out the fabric. Pinning is advised if you are easily confused.

Now sew the two sides. This should be self explainatory, I hope.

You can add elastic to the waist and legs if you want, and of course you'd use a zig-zag stitch...but honestly, you can get away with not doing this if your fabric returns to its original dimensions well enough.

As far as adding embellishment, you can get away with using straight stitches as long as you're sewing it on fairly vertically. Otherwise, get decorative and use a zig zag stitch.

Additionally! And possibly, most importantly. The things that will mess up your panties the most are not cutting the long part of the crotch long enough, and not cutting the side-seam parts long enough. If the crotch is short, its going to pull the panties wayyyy down and you'll have super-low rise unwearable, uncomfortable panties. Its best to cut it a few more inches longer just in case. Pin to test, but use safety pins for the love of god.

And if you cut the side seams too short, but with the general low-rise panty shape, you will also end up with unwearably low rise panties. You can change the shape of your panty here, however, with how you cut it. Keep the side seam super long (around 5 or 6 inches) and you'll have more of your boycut variety panty. Keep it about average (4 inches worked well) and you have your average low rise panty. You can also play around with the scoop of the leg on the front and back, but for me in the back, I prefer to keep the scoop a straight cut. Its rather booty flattering.

And if you plan on adding a band on the top! Please make sure the fabric is stretching side to side, once again.

This is definately one of those trial-and error things, but they honestly take about 15 minutes to bang out. The time consuming part is the trying-on and the embellishing.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006 11:23:41 PM by cheera » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
tiddlywinks
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006 11:56:45 PM »

I really really like the blue pair at the top!
They look really comfy, thanks for the tute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angellyc

Fly My Geek Colours Proudly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006 01:38:59 AM »

Great job, first of all. 

Second, a few questions.  I love boy-cut undies, like these are, but I find cause I'm kind of hippy (Of the child bearing kind) they tend to slip down.  Do you have this problem with them with no elastic, or is the stretch knit enough?  I'd like to try this, cause I'm a sucker for panties and would most likely make many many pairs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're going to die anyway, you may as well craft.
edwards_hand
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006 01:50:13 AM »

ohh this is just great!
i've been looking for tutorial like this for a very long time. youre cool Grin
your panties are so cute :0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahpanda
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006 05:45:58 AM »

I've desperately been wanting to make myself some panties lately, because my favorite kind have been discontinued. I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with the elastic problem (I hate elastic, and my fave panties have very soft, gentle elastic) so I'm glad you posted that about the Jersey knit!

Now I just have to get some Jersey knit and use my favorite panties as a pattern. Thanks for posting this! Your new undies look very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
seamaiden1515
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006 10:44:53 AM »

i <3 the blue anchor pair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

can you show me something infinitely interesting?
rayswithabang
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006 02:53:59 PM »

That's really cool. At Target a while ago--I don't know if they still do or not--but they had underwear made out of stretchy fabric and it wasn't hemmed. And yours are much cooler!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KSBN77
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006 04:40:30 PM »

I always spend too much money on underwear too..You can never have too much underwear..right? Thanks for the idea Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SweetFeltAlive
Riviera

Riviera

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006 06:16:39 PM »

I love these!!!  I am not a big underwear fan at the moment... but I think you might have changed my mind.  I feel a new addiction starting... lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/razzberrieicee  (personal page)

Working on a craft myspace and etsy.
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006 07:21:40 PM »

Great job, first of all. 

Second, a few questions.  I love boy-cut undies, like these are, but I find cause I'm kind of hippy (Of the child bearing kind) they tend to slip down.  Do you have this problem with them with no elastic, or is the stretch knit enough?  I'd like to try this, cause I'm a sucker for panties and would most likely make many many pairs.

I think it definately depends on the type of stretch knit you use...certain kinds tend to loose their elasticity, and others are perfect the entire time. I think if it has polyester in it, it tends to stay pretty well. Otherwise, I would pick up some decorative elastic trim and use that. Only on the waistband though, because I hate elastic on my leggies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 10/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 7/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 2/5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...