A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plastic Frozen Juice Cans  (Read 1519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2006 05:56:07 PM »

The caps don't go back on. I've already thought of soap molds, pencil holders.

They're plastic.

Eek.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 11:06:58 AM »

Candle mold, um...jello mold....cut out pieces and see if you can melt them in the oven and then punch holes in it to make charms, earrings or necklaces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
thismomsews
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007 08:13:57 PM »

I have been meaning to post this idea for a while now, and happened upon this while browsing around!  We go through 1 or 2 of these cans a week!  Most of them go in the recycle bin, but I try to re purpose things as I can.

So far I have used them for:
-kid bowling pins (I have a 2 year old)-great fun! (we have a basket of them in the cabinet-they are also great for scooping and pouring all sorts of stuff)
-pen/pencil holders
-organizer for crafty stuff-what else?! (see pic below)
-risers under the legs of my craft table-*not a good idea* it is too much weight and they are crumpling down...I'm going to buy real bed risers for this purpose this week!  but they could be used to lift up something lightweight, like a shelf that has little things on it for more storage space underneath

Here is the one sitting on my computer desk right now.  My hubby took our pen holder to use at work-I have been meaning to recover this, but here it is!

Here are some pics of the organizer.  Over the summer, I cut strips of scrap fabric to fit around the cans and hot glued them on.  Then I glued the cans together.  I originally used it on my craft table standing upright-but the 2 year old was able to reach it, so it moved up on the shelf!  Works just as well either way.  

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010 05:07:59 PM by pixieval » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007 06:47:09 AM »

What a neat idea! I used to buy the juice in the cans, but they came in the cardboard cans with the metal ends- hard to recycle, and hard to reuse (soggy cardboard, and all). But now I'll have to check our grocery store to see if they carry this kind. The only other kind I've seen is the aluminum, soda-style cans. Did you have to do anything special to the top, or does the lid just come off and leave the nice, clean edge?

I am a teacher and it would be such a nifty, thrifty way to store items for the students to use! If I put 4 together and then add some sort of handle or strap, I could use them as little "supply totes" for scissors, rulers, markers, etc. when the kids are working on group projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007 05:21:10 PM »

i'm so happy that i stumbled across this thread!!! i'm in the midst of organizing all my crafts in the "back room". we don't use these juice containers, but we do go through crystal lite like water. i bet i can use those containers!!

thanks for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
thismomsews
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007 09:38:00 PM »

What a neat idea! I used to buy the juice in the cans, but they came in the cardboard cans with the metal ends- hard to recycle, and hard to reuse (soggy cardboard, and all).
I haven't found a way to use those either-they don't hold up well, but I do use the metal tops that you take off-Right now I use them for my son to play with-putting them in a plastic container with a slit in the lid, it's like putting big money into a bank!  and when he's play cooking he sometimes "bakes" them-yum cookies.
I used to teach kindergarten -don't know what age you teach, but you could use them as game pieces by gluing things on the top, glue magnets on the back and use them on a board for counting, sorting, number order, alphabetical order...by gluing what you want on the tops

But now I'll have to check our grocery store to see if they carry this kind. The only other kind I've seen is the aluminum, soda-style cans. Did you have to do anything special to the top, or does the lid just come off and leave the nice, clean edge?
you can find them in the frozen juice section-all the Welch's brand come in the plastic containers. I have found them in most stores, but each store varies in what flavors they have!  They have a little tab that tears off separating the top from the can.  The top of the can is nice and smooth-just rinse it out!

I am a teacher and it would be such a nifty, thrifty way to store items for the students to use! If I put 4 together and then add some sort of handle or strap, I could use them as little "supply totes" for scissors, rulers, markers, etc. when the kids are working on group projects.
That would be perfect!  I was the queen of recycled stuff at my school!  I asked members of my church to save things for me-I got tons!  I used shoe boxes to store games and work centers on shelves. I used plastic yogurt/sour cream/jello cups to sort out crayons on our supply shelf.  I put the cups in a shoebox then each container held one color- that way they could find what they needed without digging through a box of mixed up colors!  I could go on but this is supposed to be about juice cans Cheesy
I guess I could start a thrifty teachers recycling ideas thread.....
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007 09:40:24 PM by thismomsews » THIS ROCKS   Logged

grrrlpower

Revolution Grrrl Style Now!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007 08:26:26 PM »

cut off the ends and make fake binoculars for the kids. tape two together and add a string to put around their necks.

decorate them and use them as vases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

remember what the dormouse said....
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007 07:26:46 AM »

Thanks for the added info, thismomsews! I teach 7th & 8th grade now, but I think I'm switching to elementary next year. It'll be a shock to my system, I think, so I can use all of the ideas I can get.

And, thanks for the tip on where to find them- I wouldn't have looked in the frozen juice section!

And a thrifty teachers recycling thread sounds ike a great idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007 06:40:37 PM »

Thanks for all the ideas!  Grin

Right now I have no little kids so I'm aiming for vase. Guess I'm ready to take on the world of decoupaging....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Guin

Hey, there's a lemon behind that rock!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007 08:10:25 PM »

My cousin used to use them as spare cups for her kids - they go through cups really quick, and they love juice, so it was kind of a natural evolution.
great ideas, everybody!
happy crafting,
guin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Everything You Need to Look Chic During Music Festival Season
#MyModamobStyle: Featured Reader @NYTrendyMoms
Wear Leather This Spring For Less
Featured Blogger: Olivia Lopez of Lustt For Life
Slip Into Spring With These Must-Have Leather Jackets
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...