A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my take on macreme  (Read 1677 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mindfuljenn
Frugal Bride

interesting thought goes here.... lol

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2004 11:12:43 AM »

i've been making macreme for at least 5 years now. and its so easy. here's one of my pics:
http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=mindfuljenn&pid=195037&sid=hnG23govM3
these are just basic ones, half knots and square knots. the best way i can describe how to make one is to: 1.) cut 2 pieces of hemp/string, the first sting should be the length of one arm to another the second pull them across 3 1/2 times...i'm not one for using a yard stick especially in a car. 2.) fold each string in half and bring the middles together. 3.) make one overhand know leaving a loop big enough for your pinky to poke through. 4.) now's the tricky part...you know when you tie your shoes? well it's basically the same process...except the two shortest strings go in the center of the two longer ones which you will be tieing. 5.) got it? now keep going until you want to add a bead...sting the bead on the two inside strings (should still be the shortest strings) and start tying again. *tip* make sure you pull all your knots tight it looks and holds better that way. 6.) to finish, just make another overhand know with all 4 strands and then trim the edges somewhat even. you should be able to pull the last overhand knot through the first loop to wear the necklace.

*hopes everyone understands*
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011 10:28:48 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My dreamy 2k wedding day adventure
www.FrugalBride.tk
Sheila
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004 09:52:33 AM »

Those are lovely, I always wondered how to make them, never knew what the technique was called.
Last year, in one of my classes, there was these kids who were trying to sell macrame belts, I mean they were HUGE like 3 inches wide and as long as you wanted them to be for.. I think it was 6$ to 14$ depended on how big it needed to be or if you wanted beads.
I didn't know it was just square knots, etc. I know how to do that, I think i have some hemp I can practice on, yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004 04:54:50 PM »

those are good..yeahn ive made a hemp purse ..i made strips of 4 rows of square knots that i put together with skinny hemp.....my favorite knot is the josophine knot... there are so many designs i have lots of pictures of my stuff but not on the web......having 2 sets of square knots on a project is awesome...

those are awesome beeads too...um make em
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"reality leaves alot to the imagination"

I dig things and people
icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004 11:04:49 AM »

i got pictures now....http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/onecrazy_mo_fo/album?.dir=/e077

its so hard for me to expalin how to do macreme......but selling them is easy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dig things and people
smile4_em
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004 06:44:28 PM »

this may be a dumb question, but how do you get the spiffy lil spiral knots??? if it's too complicated to explain, thats cool! btw, all ur macreme rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My goal is not to wake up at 40 with the bitter realization that I've wasted my life in a job I hate because I was forced to decide on a career in my teens- Daria
icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004 04:57:47 AM »

thnak you.....and all the spiral knot is a half knot... but usually when your sopposed to switch the outter strings just simply dont switch......hope it helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dig things and people
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Hodgman On His Book, That Is All
Same Berkson Performs His Poem "Ode to the Bicycle"
How to Write a Summer Blockbuster
How to Write Cellphone Reviews
How to Write Movie Reviews
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...