A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mystery yarn - what the heck is it?  (Read 1512 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vtgirl
"Impossible sir, it's in Johnson's underwear."

Loves flow charts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006 06:57:49 AM »

I really like that pattern as well, totally bookmarked it for further use  Grin  Isn't it weird how it looks so different than the example on the website though?  With the thinner, lace weight yarn?  I actually like yours and starshadow's versions better.  Thanks for the link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved." ~ Gandalf

Twitter = sicavt
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006 10:16:10 AM »

This yarn is particularly pretty with 2 strands held together on big needles, feeding 1 strand from the middle and one from the end (Or 2 balls together -- anything so that the colors don't repeat)

It makes a very expensive-looking complex tweed.

And it's washable. So it's acrylic! So what?

When it comes to fiber selection, I'm pro-choice. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
karls_mommy
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006 11:32:30 AM »

Ooo...that's pretty!  Red Heart is okay.  Since I'm a newbie, and it's cheap, it's now my best friend.  It doesn't offer a ton of 'give', at least not in the scarf I made, but I am fairly happy with it.  I can't wait to see you're finished scarf in that!  Please post pics.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Margarita Miss

cuervo on the rocks ... salted rim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006 06:51:11 AM »

I really like that pattern as well, totally bookmarked it for further use  Grin  Isn't it weird how it looks so different than the example on the website though?  With the thinner, lace weight yarn?  I actually like yours and starshadow's versions better.  Thanks for the link!

I wasn't looking for the lacy look that the lighter weight yarn produced either, so I was glad to see starshadow's scarf.

This yarn is particularly pretty with 2 strands held together on big needles, feeding 1 strand from the middle and one from the end (Or 2 balls together -- anything so that the colors don't repeat)

It makes a very expensive-looking complex tweed.

And it's washable. So it's acrylic! So what?

When it comes to fiber selection, I'm pro-choice. Grin

I've got lots of it, so I'll try it double stranded on big needles after I'm done this scarf - maybe for mittens.  I love your 'pro-choice' comment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TartyDragon
Cuboards: how do you expect me to keep things tidy without places to shove things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006 01:59:30 PM »

I thought if I posted a photo of the yarn I'm working with, someone might recognize it.  I can't even tell what the fibre content is.  I got 3 large skeins of it.  It's nice and soft and I plan to knit a scarf and mittens.  Any tricks for determining whether there's wool or other animal fibre in it or if it's just plain old acrylic?

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/52039Mystery_yarn-b.jpg

I Had some of that only in gold and brown, lovely stuff itchy like heck tho lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sabrina fair, / Listen where thou art sitting/ Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave, / In twisted braids of lilies knitting / The loose train of thy amber-dropping hair.
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006 12:32:05 PM »

I work with acrylic a lot, because it's cheap, and I buy when yarn appeals, not having any pattern in mind, so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't get used.  I have found with Red Heart acrylic that yes, it works into a fairly stiff and scratchy garment... until you wash it!  I made a sweater for myself with it, hated it when I tried it on, decided I'd wash and dry to see what happened and the whole thing relaxed and softened and was great.  So that's my new rule of thumb.

I do love the scarf pattern... I haven't knit many scarves, in favour of more "complicated" things.  But I'm developing a taste for them... a good way to play with fancy stitches without having a whole sweater or something to work through.  I'm definitely putting this one on my list of things to knit.... oh, how long the list grows!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Margarita Miss

cuervo on the rocks ... salted rim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006 12:19:00 PM »

I've decided I'm no longer going to avoid acrylic either.  I ended up using the Red Heart for a sort of cabled scarf.  I love the colours and the scarf is the same on both sides - and it's really soft!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 09:53:40 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Bead - Stringing Wire
Learn the Basics of Beading
How to Make a Backup Paracord Bracelet
How to Tie a Military Bugle Braid
How to Make Earrings - Advanced Earrings
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...