I made a mummy costume based on this fabulous tutorial
. I used a pair of boys white long underwear, sleeves cut off, dyed in tea; cheesecloth dyed in tea, and unbleached gauze. I ended up sewing all of the gauze (except for six 3 yd strips, these got sewed to my shoulders to wrap around my arms & head) to the long undies, solely to save time. I have to be at work pretty early and knew I wouldn't have the time to do any wrapping. I used about 7 yards of gauze and 3 yards of cheesecloth, I probably could have used more.
It was really fun to make and even more fun to wear!
A lot of people thought I bought it, and were stunned to hear that I made it. I ended up winning 1st prize & $100 at work - I'm still really (but pleasantly!) surprised because I didnt' think making a costume was such a big deal!!!
My only regret is that I didn't really spend enough time on makeup...I had the makeup, but not the time. I used a lot of black eyeliner & powder, and some green, and white powder, but didn't have time for anything really elaborate