A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book Learnin'  (Read 1810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

canarysanctuary
« on: October 31, 2006 11:22:27 AM »

I'm very, very new to quilting.  I've been inspired by all the beautiful work I've seen posted here on craftster, and would love to learn to do it too!
Firstly, I was wondering how most of you learned to quilt.
Secondly, if you learned from books, or use books for quiliting, which would you reccomend to a true newbie like myself?  I need to know absolutly everything about it!
Thanks Cheesy

ps: Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area!  Just let me know and I'll move it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006 08:08:34 PM »

you have it in the right section  Wink

Well i kind of look at it like if you know how to sew, then its not hard to put together a quilt top. It just takes a lot of consistent, precise cutting and seams, unless you do a crazy quilt, but i like square edges and geometric shapes, so no crazy quilting for me. I found a pattern i liked, bought the little book and went after it. The book had minimal directions, it was more of a pattern book. The quilt definitely did not turn out as nice as the ones i make now, but it still looks nice to the untrained eye! I dont have any reccommendations on specifically learning to quilt books, but i have denyse schmidt's book and the modern quilt workshop, both have sectinos on how to quilt and awesome patterns. I would just go to barnes and nobles or a craftstore and read through the books, find the one you want, and then order it on amazon  Tongue  Basically i just learned through trial and error, and now i have a lot of fun with it! If you ever have any questions, ask away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006 08:14:59 AM »

I like the Complete Guide to Quilting by Better Homes and Gardenhttp://www.amazon.com/Complete-Quilting-Gardens-Creative-Collection/dp/0696218569/sr=8-1/qid=1162397585/ref=sr_1_1/103-8360566-3823032?ie=UTF8&s=books

It has a section for each skill of quiltmaking and covers both hand and machine techniques with lots of pictures. It's also an inexpensive book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

canarysanctuary
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006 01:53:08 PM »

Thanks so much for the suggestions!  I certainly will have many questions, and probably very silly ones at that  Tongue
I love craftster!  Crafty people are the best Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006 02:51:51 PM »

Quote from: canarysanctuary
I certainly will have many questions, and probably very silly ones at that  Tongue

There are never silly questions when you are trying to learn something!  so, ask away.

I taught myself to quilt - I knew how to sew so I thought it couldn't be that hard.  I think I found some patterns on the internet and then just followed what they said.  I also took questions I had to the local quilting store and they were great in answering them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pokeedog

Quilt, Cook, Gocco, Clothes and Home

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006 06:39:58 PM »

I taught myself from books too. Although I did have some rudimentary sewing skills before I got started.

The Better Homes & Garden book looks good. I would try and find one that is full of technique rather than patterns that appeal to you. You can always pull patterns from the internet, but having a good quality reference book of technique is key!

It silly and the show doesn't really represent my style, but I did watch it alot when I first started quilting. Sometimes it helps to see than read. http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_qlt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
libbybee
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006 01:28:39 PM »

I learnt to do patchwork and quilting at an evening course where we made a sampler quilt.  There are books on them - the best ones are by Lynne Edwards.  A sampler quilt is made up of lots of different squares, each using a different technique (strip piecing, nine patch and so on).  You do all your squares in similar colours, even though each square is a new technique, so you end up with a quilt, but have learnt a lot.  The beauty of doing it like this is that if you do a square in a technique you like, you can then make another quilt wholely of that technique (hope I am making sense!).

Quilt shops are usually run by very friendly ladies who can advise you on a beginners quilt, and will help you if you get stuck along the way.  All you have to do is buy the fabric, and he advice is free! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read my blog at www.florencesattic.typepad.com, or come visit my quilting zine at www.thequarterinch.wordpress.com
Selise
Out Of Control ATC'er

So In Love - 1 Year Together 22 Feb

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006 08:59:09 PM »

I learned to quilt from my grandmother (and I'm no-where near as good as she is!!) and from reading books. 

This book is probably one of the best, because it puts quilting in simple language, and takes you through the process of quilting step by step, has projects, templates and advice for you.  I never tire of using it, and I've been quilting for a litle while now. http://www.amazon.com/Your-First-Quilt-Book-should/dp/1564771989/sr=8-1/qid=1162702595/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6548953-2918304?ie=UTF8&s=books

this one is another good one; http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-101-beginners-guide-quilting/dp/1589231104/ref=pd_rhf_f_1/104-6548953-2918304
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006 11:35:09 AM »

i also used the BH&G book, very helpful. i sorta started with trial and error, doing a basic 6 inch square patchwork quilt first. so that i could see how to line up stuff, how to actually quilt it, etc, etc in a way that wasn't so overwhelming as a huge pieced project. to learn more piecing stuff i did smaller projects like wall hangings and tote bags. anyway, good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hokiekate
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006 05:35:05 PM »

I learned from The Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons and Porter.  It is an excellent and totally comprehensive book.  I had no sewing skills and no machine when I picked this up, so I started out quilting by hand.  A few months later I got a machine and ended up taking a simple sewing class through my county adult ed.  It was very useful having learned a bit from the book before I took the class.  And I still refer to that book often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Natural Scalp Remedy
How the Weather Affects Your Hair
How to Do Blowout Hairstyles
African American Hair: Mohawk Hairstyle, Foxy Rihanna Mohawk
Hair Highlighting Tips - Aftercare
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...