A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
770 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gifts for teachers  (Read 4808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sapereaude
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006 08:33:38 PM »

She never said anything bad about the gifts

My mom was never that nice - at least one child a year got the 'yeah, his/her parents SHOULD get me something good!' when their present was opened.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mave

do-dee-do-do-dee-do-dodododo

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006 02:09:33 PM »

Cards and drawings by the children are my favourite thing to receive!  I can store them flat, and as i've usually taught the kid to write its name, having them sign stuff is cool! 
My mother in law is a teacher too, and she still has a drawing of her dog signed by the kids she taught 15 years on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my (very short!) wist http://www.wists.com/MaveH
RockinRobyn
Avid Reader

Oh You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006 05:09:24 PM »

As a teachers-aide, I think what I would love most would be for a parent or two to organize 1 present from a large group, or even everyone in the class. Something that the children made together, or something that they've all signed would be a great way to remember all of them, and easier to store than 24 individual things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pd8151
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006 06:32:53 AM »

Wanted to clarify my earlier response to this.  I tend to make all of the teacher the same "type" of gift but we definitely individualize each one.  I also have that child help make the present for his/ her teacher.  I do appreciate what they do for my kids and try to give things that are creative and unique and won't be tossed right after the holiday.  That being said this year I have a 6th grader, my first.  He has 4 or 5 different teachers, do we give gifts still?  Or is it weird?  Our primary school is very small and family like but my older son's school is bigger, suggestions? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Christina

Check out my blog here:
http://variform-christina.blogspot.com/
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006 06:46:58 AM »

I taught 6-9th grades for years. Not all students give gifts, and those who do tend to really like that subject or that teacher. There are some "token-because-I'm-giving-everybody-one" gifts, but in general, most gifts at this age are given because it's the wish of the child, not the parent.

Interestingly, I'm in the give-everybody-something class, though I do give different gifts to each teacher! My 7th grader gives input into what she wants to give and to whom, then I fill in for the other teachers with something I just think they'd like! Explain THAT, if you can...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
bookgirl
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006 06:56:51 AM »

As a teachers-aide, I think what I would love most would be for a parent or two to organize 1 present from a large group, or even everyone in the class. Something that the children made together, or something that they've all signed would be a great way to remember all of them, and easier to store than 24 individual things.

Yes, one meaningful gift from everyone, instead of dozens of trinkets!  My sister is a 1st grade teacher and gets all kinds of crap and candy every holiday from most of the kids.  She would love it if, just once, the class would get together and buy her a gift certificate to Staples so she could get more supplies for them (her budget is tiny, and she winds up having to pay for things like crayons and construction paper herself).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006 07:29:07 AM »

Amen. I always wanted an unabridged dictionary for my classroom so the kids didn't have to trek over to the highschool wing to use the library's. Never got it. Would trade every ornament in my attic for it, still! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006 08:43:48 AM »

My daughter is in 6th grade and my son in Kindergarten.  Katelyn has had teachers that requested classroom supplies or craft supplies - I loved those!  I cleaned out my craft stash twice that way, it was great.  As for classroom supplies - I made a trip to the dollar store and spent $20 and put it all in a basket.  I know it's always appreciated. 

For her only male teacher last year we made a fleece scarf with pockets on the ends.  He wore it every day and said it was great to put his keys in the pocket and not forget where they were!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninosgirl
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006 09:16:25 AM »

wow! what a big difference in opinion for teachers. but some teachers should remember that it is the thought that counts. i think that it is really helpful to get to know your childs teacher. try to spend a little time to get to know them. it will not only benifit you for gift giving, but it will also benifit your child. i recently found out that my oldest(2nd grader), her teacher and the teachers husband are both really into wine making. i was thinking about giving her a really nice cheese tray. i would go to my local itilian store and pick up some unusual cheeses for them to try. hopefully they will enjoy that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006 11:40:43 AM »

wow! what a big difference in opinion for teachers. but some teachers should remember that it is the thought that counts.

Oh, I do agree with you -- but the problem is that not many parents/students put as much thought into their gifts as you clearly do into yours.  Too many people wind up grabbing a "Best Teacher Ever" mug or chocolate sampler, when the five bucks they spent would be more useful and appreciated.  So, if parents don't have the time or inclination to get to know the teachers well, a group gift certificate is a great way to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Valerie Harper Talks About Her Audiobook I, Rhoda
Manology Cover Shoot With Tyrese and Rev Run
Contagious: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
Crafting Contagious Content Using Triggers
Crafting Contagious Content Using Social Currency
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...