A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Short-Row hat from IK  (Read 1173 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cnp71201
« on: October 30, 2006 07:24:04 PM »

I just finished the Short-Row hat from Interweave Knits last night.

Pattern: Short-Row hat available on the Interweave Knits website.
Yarn used: ~1.25 balls of Paton's SWS in the Natural Geranium color.
Needles: Recommended size, 7.
Mods: Left off the icord thingy at the top, felted to size

I really liked this pattern. At first, it confused me; although I'd used the short-row technique in a couple of other patterns, I really didn't understand it. This hat definitely helped, although I'm not sure I'm ready yet to use short-row shaping as bust darts (something I've wanted to learn). I think I'm going to have to knit a garment that uses the technique first, and I think there's an article on Knitty I should read as well. Anyway, the pattern was fun to knit, but I did make a very noticeable mistake right at the beginning. I didn't realize it was a mistake at the time, and actually couldn't tell it until I'd already felted and blocked the hat, so it was too late to rip it out and fix it. You'll see a picture of that under the cut. If there are any suggestions of anything I can do besides "Get over it" or "Rip it out," I'd love to hear them.

The hat turned out a little big for my head, although I knit to gauge... I guess I have a small head. I felted it down in the sink, trying it on in between feltings. It didn't take much, but I didn't get the result I really wanted either. It's a lot tighter now, but still too long for my taste - if I were to knit this pattern again, I'd definitely knit it shorter. I have to tuck under 3 or 4 stitches of the garter band now so that it doesn't cover my eyebrows and my eyes.

I've used this yarn in this particular colorway before, and I really like it. I like the way it looks slightly felted better than just knit up. It's a very soft yarn, and this hat is super WARM. If I were going to Alaska (or some place equally cold), this is the hat I'd wear. I imagine it's so warm because of the felting.

As I've already mentioned, this hat was a good practice piece for the short-row technique. I need more work on my turns, because there are some pretty big gaps between the diamonds. Are there any tips for better hiding the turns? The pattern has you YO, then later close it by k2tog the yarn over and the stitch after... which worked well most of the time, but for the diamonds, still left a big gap.

I closed the crown just by running a piece of yarn through it, pulling it tight, and knotting it. I could tell by then that the hat was a little too large, and didn't want to risk making it even a little bigger. I also didn't bother with the icord thingy on the top, partially since I didn't really like it, but even more due to my boyfriend's looking at the photo of the pattern and innocently asking "Why is there a nipple on top of that hat?"

This is the back... see the huge mistake there? Yowsers!

More pictures and possibly more info available on my blog: http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/2006/10/fo-short-row-hat.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
icantotallymakethat
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006 07:40:49 PM »

Hey cnp, that's a great hat. It's nice to see a picture of you too after all our messages about our Sideways Spencers.  Smiley

It's a little hard to see what exactly the mistake is in that part. Is there just a part that sticks out? What caused it? I predict that most people will be too impressed with the hat as a whole to notice it too much. I really like the colors...great yarn choice for this pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cnp71201
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006 07:48:04 PM »

Thanks! Yes, it's the bit that sticks out. I am not sure how I messed up, maybe I got off count with the short-rows or decreases or something.

I will eventually finish my sideways spencer! How is your coming along?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
Amarillys
Will knit for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006 05:49:20 AM »

Great hat! I just finished mine a couple of weeks ago. I ended up using the recommended yarn because the one I used first didn't work well with the pattern. Yours turned out really great.

You can see pics of mine on my blog: shepurls.blogspot.c om.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006 07:42:56 AM »

Nice hat! 

I was wondering how this would look in SWS, since I have a couple of balls just sitting there asking to be knit... 

With the sticking out bit, I wonder if you could somehow work it towards the inside and tack it down a bit? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
jese

"language is a virus from outer space" - wsbIII

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006 10:38:05 AM »

i made a hat that did something similar only it was crocheted) and all i did to fix it was go back through with some yarn to sort of sew it down into place.  you might need to fold it over a little bit, which would still leave a little bump, but nothing that should get confused as a nipple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icantotallymakethat
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006 10:33:09 AM »

I will eventually finish my sideways spencer! How is your coming along?

I finished and blocked the main part, and now I'm spending some time worrying that it won't end up fitting me. Sooner or later I will get started on the ribbing.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint a Portrait
Adding Finishing Touches to Your Chalk Drawing
Adding Shadow and Depth to Your Chalk Drawing
Placing Color on Your Chalk Drawing
Using and Blending Color for Your Chalk Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...