A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mohair : Fabulous or Yarn of Satan? Discuss  (Read 2997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lelila
geek.

nerd love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006 01:25:08 PM »

It's synthetic, so I guess that's why it was so cheap.  I don't know... it doesn't seem that fuzzilicious wrapped in the skein... it really wouldn't show rib?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
indieanajess
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2006 01:30:52 PM »

I like it, but oh, the frogging! It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. That said, I found this lovely alpaca mohair that was a dream to work with. KSH almost made me self-destruct when I tried to make a cape with it, but the alpaca was heavy enough that frogging it wasn't so awful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The frontal lobe is where it's at!
cinnamon teal
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006 02:17:33 PM »

I like it ONLY for scarves and art projects.  (And maybe another use but I can't think of any right now. Smiley)

Mostly it is Satan in yarn form.  But I did make these cool, fuzzy knit lamps with it one time.  A nightmare to dust, though. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crnaofca
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006 03:32:59 PM »

It's synthetic, so I guess that's why it was so cheap.  I don't know... it doesn't seem that fuzzilicious wrapped in the skein... it really wouldn't show rib?

heee, but mine is real mohair and cheaper then yours:)

i don't know, if it is not that very fuzzy, it might show ribbing.. do you maybe have a photo of that yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
katbaggins
Knitting Knewbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006 10:33:16 AM »

I started using my first 100% mohair yarn two nights ago for the first time, and I can't take it anymore! If it weren't for a Christmas gift I'd toss the thing! I can't see my stitches, the actual "non-fuzz" portion of the yarn is so tiny it's smaller than lace weight, and it gets on my face and makes me sneeze. I'm using a ball of Katia-something I picked up at my lys, so maybe another type of mohair would be less nightmare-inducing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitting blog:
http://woolinsunshine.blogspot.com/
Leaudemiel
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006 12:21:35 PM »

I just picked up 800 yard of it at the Sheep and Wool festival in Rhinebeck. I want to make that pretty mohair sweater in the new Interweave. It just looks so pretty! And its SO warm!

It's going on th eneedles as soon as two projects come off. Smiley

M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006 12:41:04 PM »

I have a bag of black mohair(?)/something mix that seems to be about a DK or even worsted weight.  I got it from my aunt's friend who owned a yarn store in the 80s.  She has a TON of old/discontinued Rowan yarns and the handwritten label on the plastic bag said "Kidsilk" but the yarn-lady didn't remember what it was or where it came from. 

That said, I would like to try to make a sweater with it.  Any suggestions?  I just noticed the mohair sweater in the Fall IWK, which I could adapt to suit me (no turtlenecks for this knitter). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Leaudemiel
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006 09:25:21 AM »

Well subloke, I plan on trying that sweater from Interweave. I like the style and they rarely steer me wrong. There's also one from the first SnB book ( I think someone even modeled it in this thread) that my best friend did and it looks awesome.

Wanna start a knitalong, let me know!
M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006 09:39:57 AM »

Had to chip in just to say: YARN OF SATAN! *crosses self*

Actually I agree with what someone else said -- I use it on scarves or other small projects. I started making a wrap *once* and well ... after letting loose a string of obscenities that would make a sailor blush, I've tried to stay clear of it ever since. The fuzzing is one of the top reasons I dislike it, the second is that I am pretty allergic to wool so when I knit with it I cannot stand the feel in my hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2006 02:12:04 PM »

I found the label for mine, and it was Lion Brand after all - Jiffy.  And sure enough, 100% acrylic.  *flees from people trying to throw stuff at her*

You know, though, it's really not very squicky feeling, considering it's acrylic.  And it's not all nutzo crazy fuzz junk everywhere.  I kind of like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 8/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 9/10
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 1/5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...