A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,168
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Knitting Thing (all praise to teacher rachelo)  (Read 1856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xcb
« on: October 30, 2006 12:14:54 PM »

My girlfriend is really great (really, really), and yesterday she taught me how to knit.

I have a very short attention span though, so I chose not to be all fastidious about it. I just kinda tried stuff. Garter stitching and some purling and some random increases and decreases and then dropping stitches and taking three or four or five ladder-rungs at a whack. About ten percent of it is sensible. The rest was ad-libbed.

The green stuff is some dual-stranded lumpy 100% wool business and the rainbow stuff is handspun hippy cotton stuff I picked up (for my girlfriend, who is great) in Alma, Michigan. (Actually, some small adjoining town. I forget the name. Lovely place.)

I used 35 gauge needles for most of it. I got bored towards the end and switched to 10.5. I quickly switched back to 35, though. Just because.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/xcbxcbxcb/10.jpg

is the final outcome.

It looks better on than it does on the couch:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/xcbxcbxcb/10-1.jpg

I didn't know how to finish it (it was late and my grrl was sleeping) so I just tied it off.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/xcbxcbxcb/10-2.jpg

And even though it was an impromptu gift for my girlfriend, she hates green and didn't wear it today. But I wore it on the motorcycle trip to work and it did a fine job of keeping out the chill. So.

I later discovered (after an astute student pointed it out) that it is roughly tie shaped and can therefore be tied in a half windsor. Thanks to a random screwup, I even have an errant piece of yarn that doubles as a back-of-the-tie-tuck-in-stabilizer-thing.

My girlfriend is great and I want to publicly thank her for being great and teaching me how to knit.

The end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - HLM
arsenic_girl
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006 12:53:59 PM »

This is the best post I've read all day. You are very much a mans man in your way of learning to knit. You write with a definite voice, haha.

Nice first project! Extremely random, yes, but it does seem that you understand what you're doing, and that's a lot better than I can say from anyone that I've tried to teach to knit.

Congrats:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaucamolegreetings
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006 01:14:50 PM »

I love that you were willing to try different stuff and not do it the "right" way, it's all yours, yk?  I fantasize about my dh (dear husband) learning to knit or quilt and us doing projects together.  But he probably fantasizes about me learning bass or trupet too, which ain't gonna happen...

Ooops, sorry to ramble, I'd love to see it as a tie!  And if it keeps the chill out, you can't argue with that.  Oh yeah, I think it looks cool too, love the yarns.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xcb
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006 01:29:13 PM »

The whole process felt very (to sound snotty, perhaps) organic. After my dearest showed me the basics, and after I had spent some time practicing them, the yarn felt very... intuitive and flexible. I don't know how else to say it.

I kept "messing up" and solutions kept "presenting themselves". I know that what I was doing isn't artsy so much as random idiocy,

Lesson learned: Knitting is weird.

I'm really excited by the team-sport aspect the project. My grrl has been knitting-engrossed for nearly a year and has lots of great stuff to show for it. Being an utter n00b, I have no idea how the team-work will be implemented, (other than knitting with her while Lost is on in the background) but I think it'll be neat. Perhaps the best part is the fact that she's already got all the gear and books and bookmarks and junk and I get to bandwagon all her goodies.

I did order us a Sweater-Making-Machine today from JoAnn's. (Thank you 50%-off coupon!)

I'm a boy.

I like that sort of junk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - HLM
kimski
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006 02:05:59 PM »

That is wild and beautiful. Good work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006 02:35:42 PM »

Very cool, and I really like how you improvised and finished it off!!  Now If my hubby would learn to knit.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006 02:46:34 PM »

That looks pretty cool, and you got all the scary stuff out of the way with the first project. You should have no trouble making a sweater, now. Although, I think there's a sweater curse, so don't make one for your girlfriend!
And, I was shocked to see you were a man when I clicked on the picture! (hangs head in shame for assuming you were a girl) I think we all wish we had sig others who also knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006 03:13:25 PM »

Rock!

Your scarf looks good and LOL at your cast off. Loves it.

I found Debbie Stoller's Stitch and Bitch - the first book to be very helpful. I actually learned how to cast off from it. You can try and get it from your local library for a look through. The instructions are straightforward and good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patamon
the sleepy one

peek-a-boo!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006 03:16:50 PM »

I like it when a guy isn't afraid to learn how to knit. There's nothing to be afraid of, after all. My boyfriend has mentioned wanting to learn how to knit, but he doesn't seem too eager to get going...maybe we can make a compromise, where I'll play some video games with him if he'll let me give him knitting lessons. Wink

Oh, and don't worry about the "sweater curse". :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xcb
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006 03:50:52 PM »

Luckily my dearest already has the Stitch'n'Bitches, and they're great. She's been reluctant to try the fishnets, but...

ANYway.

For those of you who are trying to convince yr men to knit: Tell them it's like making chainmail. (Even though it's not. Well. It kindasorta is.) I think my next project is going to be some felted multi-layered shin guards for the winter motorcycle commute. Hip sweaters may not get your man's blood pumping, but the potential armor applications are many.

And in my experience, men like armor. If not armor, then the idea of armor.

Some of them, anyways.

It's worth a shot, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 2
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 4
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 3
How to Use Effects Processing in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 1
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...