A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,649
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 10/30/06 - NEWSFLASH!! More New Swap Rules!!  (Read 17132 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2006 04:49:25 PM »

I have also done the unconditional swap - I sent to someone - didn't get a thank you either by the way which really really stank since I knew I wasn't getting anything in return - a thank you would have been at least decent.  I had to pull teeth to even see if she got what I had sent!

I have also angelled I think 3 times already - and the karma does all come around - I have needed to be angeled for twice in the past 3 months.

I do understand though about the unconditional swap - and really won't miss it much... especially since I never posted on the swap and only sent to someone and had that ungracious recipient...

On the flipside...  I consider almost every swap I do as an unconditional - since you really don't know what you will get in return - it could be a diamond, it could be a goober.  You just don't know - I just try to spoil whoever I send to and feel good about it... and I pretty much stick to the wist swap and the ongoing wish swap - since I can pick who and what I want to craft for - if it sparks my interest, I grab it...and then run with my scissors.  The themed swaps are kind of scary to me - you really truly just don't know who you will be crafting for - I like to pick my targets!

and yes it does feel great when you are pm'd and asked if you personal swap - I have had like 5 people pm me in the past month or so - I try to be as accomodating as I can... that reminds me...  I have a totoro to start...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Drea4545

Nothing is so simple that it can't be screwed up

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2006 05:39:21 PM »

I will miss the unconditional swaps- I always liked scrolling through and finding someone who wanted something that I could easily and happily do.  I tried to find people who hadn't been picked, or were overseas and thus more expensive to send to and less likely to be picked.  I never wanted or expected anything in return.  Selfishly, it just made me feel good. 

That said, If it is a pain for the mods, then things need to change. 

I hope we can come up with some solutions that work for everyone.

I like the idea of a "Not-quite-unconditional swap" - maybe it could be something where people still post their wish list of 3 things, and if they get picked, then they must send their crafter a small handcrafted item (regardless of how large of an item they are getting) that represents what they like to craft best/or do best?  So, for example, if someone chose me, I would send them in return a Thank you note and a couple of fabric sachets, or a zippered pouch or something (things that I have already made up).  This way, everyone gets a "token"  Thank You item, and people wouldn't sign up unless they were willing and ready to send a nice thank you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2006 05:51:46 PM »

fadeawaydream--first let me say that your swap was the very first one I ever joined on Craftster....I was a newbie and wanted to try out my crafting without having others feel like they had to craft for me when they did not know me yet...ha ha I never crafted so much in my entire life in such a short period!! But, I have such fond memories and it made me love crafting for "strangers"....

Please, consider what bobolink and the others are saying:  with a few tweaks, you can still make this type of swap work!! In fact, I think I would reconsider coming back to this type of swap with just a few changes---and, like the rules say--a person can always SEND...I like that...Don't you think that the swappers who join would be willing to make one special thing for a fellow craftster? I do!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2006 06:01:29 PM »

hrmm.. it sounds like the crafting times for the ongoing swaps should be made longer, especially if someone would like to receive a larger item.
ex: i know i can knit for people, but two weeks is terrible on my poor hands
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
Swaps:  OTT October10/21, Creepy Cute Stuffie10/23
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2006 06:04:52 PM »

I think if you let the organizer know that is might be a bit longer, they are pretty understanding...som e larger items will take a longer time but communication is the key!!  There has to be a deadline or else adrenaline junkies could not function! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tofuttibreak
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2006 06:09:56 PM »

hrmm.. it sounds like the crafting times for the ongoing swaps should be made longer, especially if someone would like to receive a larger item.
ex: i know i can knit for people, but two weeks is terrible on my poor hands

i would love for the crafting period to be longer!
there are all kinds of things that i would like to make for people, but i hate having to be late.
even if the organizer is understanding, i feel bad about it. maybe if we had three weeks?
of course, that might complicate things further for the (already insanely busy!) organizer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_chittybangbang
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2006 06:24:16 PM »

Aww thats too bad Sad I was looking forward to March for my birthday..haha ohh well  Undecided I guess some people must have been using it to get free stuff or something? Or what.. I'm curious to know what problems/issues were occuring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fadeawaydream
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2006 07:36:47 PM »

If no one organizes a Three Wishes swap before the semester's over (and by all means, feel free to start this up if you want to!), I'll get one going. I'll definitely need to unwind, and this sounds like a nice way to do it. Only 4 weeks to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2006 07:47:34 PM »

Have no fear, the Birthday swap is not gone. The only thing this changes is that the people you will chose from to craft for are all also people who will craft for others as well.

It really is a small change to the unconditonal format. If you read the notice and thread you will see that one can still craft for someone without expecting something in return. You just now know that the person you pick is also out there looking to make special things for others.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
Bobolink

Note the knitting pirate chalk bag!

I hate it when rocks eat my head

« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2006 07:55:22 PM »

Thanks Sew Pixie.
Just a friendly reminder, it seems like most of the issues being brought up now have already been addressed ad nauseum in the thread. I know it's hard to read long rambling threads, but this one is worth a look and the whole thing was on topic Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Bobolink
Sorry I've been absent! Can't wait to chill with you all again Smiley
Anyone want to swap alphabet ATCs?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Model Candice Swanepoel LIVE
Candice Swanepoel Answers #NoFilter Questions
Holiday Beauty Gifts for $30 or Less
The 6 Best Red Lipsticks
Is Your Pillowcase Making You Breakout?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...