A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paper towel tubes  (Read 2984 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stacykr
Heavy is the head that eats the crayons -Tracy Jordan, 30 Rock

live every week like its shark week!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004 05:02:23 AM »

My husband and I constructed a kaleidoscope out of a paper towel tube this summer, and I don't see why you couldn't make one out of a toilet paper tube - you just need to cut three "mirrors" out of plastic (it doesn't need to be glass, or even real mirror), and used clear beads to put in an object chamber at the far end of the "mirrors" that make the designs you see when you turn it - maybe I should post a tut?

Also, when I've taught Art Camp, we made rainsticks out of them - we decorated the outside, sealed one end with construction paper, filled it 1/10th with rice, stuck toothpicks all through it, and ealed the other end - it made sounds pretty close to a real rainstick.

I've also made little people out of them with a K-1 group, but that isn't really a practical use for them.

I also use them to store small fan/decorative lamp lightbulbs in - I pack the bulb in bubble wrap or toilet paper, and then place it inside the bulb so that when I reach for them in a closet, they don't fall, break or get crushed.

Happy crafting!

Stacy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

10,000 flowers in spring, the moon in autumn
A cool breeze in summer, snow in winter
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things
This is the best season of your life.
Wu-Men (13th cent.)
xx_bangarang
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004 09:17:01 AM »

I also use them to store small fan/decorative lamp lightbulbs in - I pack the bulb in bubble wrap or toilet paper, and then place it inside the bulb so that when I reach for them in a closet, they don't fall, break or get crushed.

Happy crafting!

Now that's smart thinking!  *runs to put bulbs in tubes*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004 11:40:08 PM »

For this year's 4th July, my neighbor made those tp roll "crackers."   She had candy in some, lotto tickets in others and some had a slip of paper that said "dud".   Here's how she made them.  Wrap the tp roll in tissue paped that hangs over each end several inches.  Tie one end shut with ribbon.  Fill the inside with confetti and the prize. Tie the other end closed.  Hand them out!

I know you can buy the fire crackers for inside to make them go pop but that get complex as there is safety issues invovled.  Handcraft Illustrated (out of publication now) did those kind of crackers in their magazine but Im too lazy to go find out when and how.

There was a guest on the Carol Duval Show that had taken the rolls and cut them into like 1/4 inch rings.  He flattend the rings slightly so each had two points (like a Marquise cut diamond).  Then he glued them together to found snowflake shapes.  If I remember right, he spray painted them white, coated each with spray glue and covered them with glitter.  They were really pretty.  I wish I could find the link at HGTV but their search engine is not helpful.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004 12:25:36 PM »

buy a gerbil, mouse, or other small animal (if you don't already have one) and make a crazy, complicated tube maze for it to play in.

actually you shouldnt let them play with this because the glue isnt good for them.  because they tend to chew on it. it can give them gastric distress and could kill them.
so please please dont do this!!! I talked to many vets about this as the owner of a down gone guniea pig who I was very very careful abou twhat I let him play with. It is ok to let say a cat play with it because they are a little more rugged and they can handle more then smaller animals.
*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ILoveBunnies

My bunny is so cute. yep, you're jealous.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004 11:15:54 AM »

buy a gerbil, mouse, or other small animal (if you don't already have one) and make a crazy, complicated tube maze for it to play in.

actually you shouldnt let them play with this because the glue isnt good for them.  because they tend to chew on it. it can give them gastric distress and could kill them.
so please please dont do this!!! I talked to many vets about this as the owner of a down gone guniea pig who I was very very careful abou twhat I let him play with. It is ok to let say a cat play with it because they are a little more rugged and they can handle more then smaller animals.
*h

really? I used to sick them in my mice's cage all the time and they'd eat them up. They never got sick. Same as my gerbil. But that's good to know and I'll make sure to never do that again. Sorry about the bad suggestion...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004 11:23:30 AM »

Make napkin rings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
birdinaskirt
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2004 07:50:15 PM »

i collected a bunch to use as molds for making candles... if you're into that kind of thing  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.birdinaskirt.com
handmade goodies for humankind
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2004 08:24:33 PM »

Really cute snowflakes! duh! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=15838.0  Grin
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005 07:12:14 AM by littleone1098 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
jademaya

Creative.Real.Artistic.Friendly.Talented.Youthful!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005 12:07:32 PM »

Smiley wrap it up with cool wrapping / colored paper and use them to store papers w/o having to fold them when you are on the go.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rules are meant to be broken, and not all problems in life are meant to be resolved...That's why we are all here thinking of new ways to transform ordinary everyday items into quirky cool stuff...Rock on! XXOO
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Updated Homestyle Dumplings Recipe
Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwich Recipe
Traditional Kentucky Country Ham Biscuits Recipe
Very Special Hash Brown Potato Casserole Recipe
Tender Barbecued Boneless Pork Ribs Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...