A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,823
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dragon Quest Family (verbose and img. heavy)  (Read 7686 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , craft_challenge_16_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: October 30, 2006 07:49:43 AM »

We probably wouldn't have dressed up this year (maybe my son, but no trickortreating around here, so we would've just stayed in, taken a picture or two) but my best friend was having a huge costume ball to celebrate getting married (it was like her wedding reception for all her friends, since she got married in april, family only), she's a halloween junkie.  So my husband suggested we all be characters out of the newest Dragon Quest game, #8, since that's what he was playing when we heard news of the party earlier this year.  So I have been working out the costumes in my head for a while and surprisingly, to me, it only took 2 weeks to get all 3 made.  My husband was the Hero of the game, I was Jessica, one of the characters that joins his group along the way to help him fight the bad guys, and our son was a little blue slime, one of the monsters you encounter along the way, the cutest monster if you ask me, he's a very popular character (you can actually get a blue slime controller).  Ok, enough rambling.  Here are our costumes. 

First my husband's (the Hero).  I made his red bandana, his blue shirt (no pattern) his yellow vest (again, no pattern) and his little mouse in his pocket (you can't really see him in the picture), Munchie, he even has a mohawk (I used sewing stars mouse pattern http://sewingstars.com/mousepattern.htm). 

(a close up of the vest edges, ribbon woven through slits in the fabric, that's took the longest of anything.)

Me! (Jessica).  I made everything for my costume, except the green stockings.  The purple shirt was made from Burda pattern #8223 (http://www.burdamode.com/8223_Top,1000003-1275114-1128998-1002518-1157244,enEN.html;jsessionid=25614612D25CCFA4954C1907E5C08B9F).  The skirt I made without a pattern, as well as the waist cincher (I just wrapped myself in newspaper until I got something I liked, haha), and the boots (they are made of felt, I just traced my foot and winged it, they came out surprisingly well).  The utility belt turned out really nicely too, I was so please, it's made from a small sheet of suede from the craft section at joanns (where they have the little sheets of fur and boas too), I had to sew a few strips together to make it long enough for a belt and then I used the rest for the little pouch.  The beads on the pouch are the same beads I used to make my earrings (sadly I can't find them now to get a close up picture). 

the waist cincher

the utility belt

the boots

And now for my adorable little boy
The Blue Slime  (made of blue faux fur, using Simplicity pattern #4007, http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=4007&show=1, the face is just out of craft felt I hand sewed on later)

(and a side view)

I hope you all like them.  No one knew what we were, and when they asked and I told them they just shook their head and walked away not having any clue what I was talking about.  Everyone though my son was a blue M&M.

A quick thanks to Thesingingllamas for telling me about the Simpicity pattern for my son's costume and thanks to janedean on etsy for being the nicest person in the world and sending me the purple beads that I couldn't find anywhere!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007 06:08:57 PM by Zelda.Suicide » THIS ROCKS   Logged

...I think I could make one of those...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006 08:52:21 AM »

Ack! this is so awesome! If I ever have a kid I'm dressing it up as a slime every single year! I love Dragon Quest (I have the slime controller and the four action figures), the newest game was great, and your costumes are brilliant. I would love a stuffed Munchie, would go great with the slime stuffie I crocheted for my boyfriend (got him addicted to the game). Too bad nobody recognized who you were supposed to be, I did though! Great job again!

Crochet Patterns, hats and amigurumi
Livin' to swap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006 10:29:11 AM »

Your son looks absolutley adorable!

My Wist --> http://www.wists.com/cumber1137

"Huzza for the tipper with the squished up boobs" - Luke from Gilmore Girls.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006 11:35:27 AM »

I'm so glad someone actually recognized our costumes and knows what Dragon Quest is (you would think more people would since it's a "greatest hits" game now, and hasn't even been out for a year, my husband was telling me all this yesterday, very excitedly, haha).

We debated for a while on what we were going to have my son be, initially he was going to be King Trode (for those of you who don't know the game, he's the one driving the wagon), but I got to thinking and I thought a blue slime would be WAY cuter.

Queen Two Shakes and a Shimmy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006 03:17:17 PM »

Ok, ok.  The Blue Slime thing is throwing me off.  Is that from Dragon Quest or from from Loco Roco?

The little Loco Roco ball thing looks exactly like that, and I would LOVE to have an adult costume of that.

Awesome job, either way.  Its awesome to have an entire family dress up!

"I'm Only Good At Being Young"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006 06:43:32 PM »

Nice work on the costumes!  That is the cutest little monster ever  Wink

Stick Officially Has Wists!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006 05:29:01 AM »

Ok, ok.  The Blue Slime thing is throwing me off.  Is that from Dragon Quest or from from Loco Roco?

The little Loco Roco ball thing looks exactly like that, and I would LOVE to have an adult costume of that.

Awesome job, either way.  Its awesome to have an entire family dress up!

Very awsome costumes <3, the blue slime is very much from dragonquest. Way cute too!

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006 08:32:18 AM »

You are just made of win! Look at you guys! Perfect.

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006 01:26:38 PM »

oh my! I've never heard of Dragon Quest, but those costumes are actually amazing!! they really look like the picture you posted, well done!!!
I kinda want to start playing that game now, lol :]
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006 02:50:05 PM »

You guys are great!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrities Show Off Sexy Fashion at AmfAR Gala
Top Makeover Tips from Lawrence Zarian
Have You Ever Looked as Good as Olivia Palermo in a Storm?
Primark Lookbook 2014
4 Date Night Outfit Ideas!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Party
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Needle Minder
The Legacy of Bob Ross

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...