A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 306,353
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: hidden stitch for closing up stuffed animals  (Read 117482 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007 06:49:57 PM »

if you are pulling your thread tight it will gather the fabric. I have a tendancy to do this by accident. To fix that make your stitches then run your fingers over the fabric and the thread to smooth it out.
For the showing instead of hideing part... Well if your fabric is not turned under then it will show your stitches. This stitch is really meant for only sewing up the hole where you stuff your critter through.
Turn the little edges of the fabric under and only go through that turned edge.
Sometimes I pin my fabric so it stays the way I want it while sewing. Though I get many scratches and pricks along the way. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bond Girl
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007 02:23:45 AM »

I was going to suggest that you may be pulling the thread too tightly as well, especially if you are sewing lighter fabrics.

Also like Eliea says you need to make sure your fabric is turning under.  I often do my stitches in a little bit from the edge of the fabric if it's a very small plushy and pull it closed slightly and then poke the seam allowance type bits into the plushy so you can't see them and then give the thread another little pull and keep going.  I don't know if that makes any sense though, I don't know if I'm explaining it very well :S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
lyler523
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007 08:46:18 AM »

thanks guys! lemme try this again.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fezzle
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007 02:36:00 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial! I was just wondering how to do this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007 02:55:40 PM »

Kiss
You're a star! Thanks for sharing that. Most of my sewing has been with a machine before now, and I had no idea how it was done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
super sushi
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007 10:38:19 AM »

wtf i dont get this at all, i am so fustrated i have been trying for 1 hour now :|
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007 10:49:19 AM »

wtf i dont get this at all, i am so fustrated i have been trying for 1 hour now :|
What part don't you get and perhaps we can help? I have to go off line for a bit now (my lunch break is over) but I'll be back this evening after work. Do you need more pictures? Perhaps taking a break from it will help. Sometimes when I Get frustrated with something the more I try the more I fail. So try taking a break and doing something calming like drinking some cocoa or tea or coffee and then try again. If you still can't get it don't hesitate to post here and we can try to help with it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
super sushi
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007 01:54:46 AM »

What part don't you get and perhaps we can help? I have to go off line for a bit now (my lunch break is over) but I'll be back this evening after work. Do you need more pictures? Perhaps taking a break from it will help. Sometimes when I Get frustrated with something the more I try the more I fail. So try taking a break and doing something calming like drinking some cocoa or tea or coffee and then try again. If you still can't get it don't hesitate to post here and we can try to help with it! Smiley

I don't understand the first picture, i know this sounds stupid but why it says to pull the thread outside why is the needle going inside then in the picture?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007 10:09:00 AM »

I don't understand the first picture, i know this sounds stupid but why it says to pull the thread outside why is the needle going inside then in the picture?
It's talking about starting from the inside so your knot is on the inside. Then from the outside start your first stitch. Does that help? The picture shows the needle after this step and starting the first stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
super sushi
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007 04:42:26 AM »

It's talking about starting from the inside so your knot is on the inside. Then from the outside start your first stitch. Does that help? The picture shows the needle after this step and starting the first stitch.

Yes thanks Smiley
Do i now start along one edge, why does it say "catch" the edge?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Megan Moore: Copy the Cover Challenge
Alyssa Wallace: Copy the Cover Challenge
Mallory Cornelison: Copy the Cover Challenge
Tips And Tricks For Summer Legs
Three Tips For Oily Summer Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...