A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my weekender bag! lotsa pictures!  (Read 17089 times)
Tags for this thread: weekender_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkninky
« on: October 29, 2006 07:08:51 PM »

i am so in love with this bag. long story short: last minute plane trip, only be gone for a few days, backpack is too small, regular luggage too big, solution? make something!

edited to add: in addition to the bag, i also made the pattern!

i prefer the term "weekender bag" instead of duffle bag. to me, "weekender bag" means: medium sized travel bag for short, fun trips. ok, picture time!

<---hey cutie!

<---made specifically so i can sling it on my back. i dislike bumping luggage with other travelers.

<---the bottom is one big piece of vinyl, in case i set the bag down on a wet spot.

<---strap is also vinyl - easy to grab, and looks tidy

<---corner detail w/zipper shot

<---i made it specially to fit 2 pairs of jeans (side by side), to easily pack/stack my outfits, apprently also good for towels!

<---fully lined too!

when i started sewing this together, i couldn't stop! i had to stop to eat, but that was my only break - i was on a roll, and damn proud. the vinyl and cotton print were bought from Joann's, the zipper was thrifted (actually, at the thrift store i found a comforter bag FULL of various zippers for $10, i won't have to buy zippers for a year+ now!), and the lining (a jonathan adler design) is a re-purposed shower curtain.

in just over a week, i will visit at least 3 airports on two seperate days, and i can rest assured that NOBODY will have my same carry-on bag! i love that. next step: make more for my travelling friends and family with different color combinations, whoo!

post-traveling update: my trip lasted 4 days, and i had enough room in this bag for a different outfit each day, plus space to carry-on gifts for the wedding! when totally stuffed, it was still within the carry-on limit to take on southwest flights. the best part was when i was trying to get it out of the overhead bins, a nice person would offer to grab it for me, all i had to say was "the red one" and there was no confusion, because nobody else had red luggage. folks even recognised me in the other airports, because my carry-on was so memorable  Cheesy  this bag was a real success, and my mother (who was once a professional seamstress) actually asked how i made it! i will be re-designing the strap, for easier grabbing when the bag is full, i have a great idea in mind, i'll post it here when i actually make it.

Q. & A. (so you don't have to read the whole thread for an answer!

Q.
Did you follow a pattern?
A. no i did not! i just imagined what i wanted the finished product to look like, and worked backwards!

Q.
Are you planning on sharing the pattern or selling these ??
A. sorry! i will not be sharing this pattern!

Q.
Do you work the vinyl on your regular sewing machine?
A. yes i do! some say to use upholstery thread & a leather needle, but honestly, i use the same needles and threads that i sew cottons with! one good thing to have if you want to sew vinyl though is a teflon foot. the regular metal feet just stick to the vinyl, and the teflon just glides over the top.

Q.
do you fold it over to hide raw edges like you would fabric? Also what kind of needle do you use?
A. you don't HAVE to hide the raw edges, because vinyl does not fray. folding over the raw edge is only an asthetic touch, not a functional one - so whether you fold or not, its your decicion! i just use my trusty all purpose needle! i dislike switching needles all of the time, so i've learned how to use the same needles with all of the fabrics i use!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006 05:54:51 PM by pinkninky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006 07:37:14 PM »

Very nice!  Funky colors!  Great work! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.co m
brubendall
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006 08:07:59 PM »

Totally Awesome!  Very Cool!  Sweet!  (Can you tel I'm a child of the 80s?)  Cheesy

I really like this.  Did you follow a pattern?  How did you do the bottom corners with the vinyl?

I am very impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
norianai
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006 09:48:34 PM »

Your bag is so great!  I love the colours and everything.

I've been meaning to get off my butt and make a travel bag for awhile now.  I go away for the weekends a lot, and I feel so frumpy just taking my ratty old backpack.  I had an idea in mind for a bag very simlar to yours.  Maybe this will serve as motivation to actually make something!

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkninky
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006 10:03:32 PM »

norianai - definatly make your own! its very fullfilling - i'd love to see the travel bag that YOU have in mind Wink

brubendall - i'm impressed too! haha! but yeah, i didn't follow a commercial pattern, i made my own Cheesy

runnermom - thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetjaime
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006 11:32:48 PM »

OMG this is totally awesome! I love the look of it, and kudos for you for making the pattern! I would never be able to draft a pattern for this lol. Are you planning on sharing the pattern or selling these ?? It looks really professional!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkninky
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006 12:44:11 AM »

OMG this is totally awesome! I love the look of it, and kudos for you for making the pattern! I would never be able to draft a pattern for this lol. Are you planning on sharing the pattern or selling these ?? It looks really professional!!

aww, thank you! making the pattern wasn't too bad, i'm really good with building & making all kinds of things, and for years now, i can look at any type of bag and know how it was made. kind of like a backwards blueprint perhaps? the hardest part for me was imagining the finished product, every detail. once i had that visualized, i was able to take it a part in my mind, draft the pattern, then make the real thing!

i won't be sharing this pattern though, because i do plan on selling them - and that professional look was exactly what i was going for  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Evil_Abbe
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006 01:34:44 AM »

hella good job, duder!

i've recently become obsessed with making my own bag patterns too.  so much more satisfaction with the finished product.  i LOVE your fabric choices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006 06:04:25 AM »

Smiley Love that bag -- would be a terrific size to take to the Y for water aerobics.  Neat!  Love the red too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006 06:09:11 AM »

I looooooove it, me want! Very nice work and it looks so very well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Shadow
How to Draw Scar
How to Draw Santa
How to Draw Sakura Haruno
How to Draw Rose
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...