A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 305,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Costumes From the Past  (Read 2876 times)
Tags for this thread: costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MaliMore
« on: October 29, 2006 02:56:45 PM »

Hiya!

I saw the 2006 Costume Contest and wanted to submit some pictures, but they are from the past, so I can't do that.  I most likely won't get to do Halloween this year, since I'll be on the truck with a load of cows somewhere.  

Halloween used to be a big deal when I was young.  My mom was *very* crafty...the woman made *everything* and that included the Halloween costumes.  Some of the costumes were "normal," like the year (1987 or 1988) she was pregnant with my little sister and made the Pumpkin outfit for me and then she wore it with no stuffing, riding on the back of the Harley down Main Street.  We had a strict rule (unspoken until later years) that costumes had to be created, they couldn't be bought...they just seemed more effective if we made them.

Here was my little sister in the costume a year or so after my mom and I wore it...

Anyway, I won a bunch of costume contests the year I went as a Coke Can.

I don't recall the year we were dogs (at least I was a dog, I think she was a dog, too), but I have pictures:

Then my sister was the butterfly and I was the light bulb (sorry the pictures are so dark, and it only shows the top of the lightbulb--the bottom was cardboard painted metallic silver and had black stripes for the thread).

A costume I put together when I was 16 was a Peter Pan.  Never got pictures, but it was a cool costume.

Also, my mom did costumes for my little sister (now 18 years-old).  When she was little-little, she got to be a scarecrow:

I thought she was adorable as the ladybug.  

How about the tiger?

I had a picture of her in her pink fairy/pink riding hood (Im not sure what it was supposed to be, it had a pink cape), but I cant find the picture.

I just recently got copies of the pictures, I hadn't had access to them for over 10 years, so I was all excited Smiley

When I was in 5th or 6th grade, and we lived in Maine, my mom's best friend went as Aunt Jemima (spelling)--the syrup lady.  Just for kicks, here's the pics!

I just wanted to share because I hadn't got to before Smiley

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011 08:11:06 PM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
racehorse87
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006 08:07:56 PM »

Awesome! I love seeing all of these costumes together like this. The aged quality of some of the pics adds to the charm, too.

The pumpkin has to be my favorite though. So cuuute.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
izms
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006 09:38:17 PM »

i especially like the coke can!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006 09:52:27 PM by krazigal72 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

a tree for all these problems...
MaliMore
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006 01:41:54 AM »

Smiley  I always thought the Coke can and light bulb were the most original costumes ever!  My Mom did the Coke can in felt and I am still impressed with the cursive writing in felt.  The other really neat part about it was the tab on top.  Can't see it very well, but it was perfect!  She drew the part that the tab pushes down in a dark gray, but you can't see it in the pictures. 

I'm sad that we didn't get better pictures of the light bulb.  I went to the costume contest and trick-or-treating holding a flashlight and was illuminated. 

How about the Aunt Jamima?  BTW, she is a white female and is pretty slender.  I thought she did a good job with that one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pd8151
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006 06:04:08 AM »

How cute!  My dad was our creative costumer when I grew up.  I'm so glad you have these photos to look back on! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Christina

Check out my blog here:
http://variform-christina.blogspot.com/
pisicandru

Don't be stupid!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006 08:50:52 AM »

Nice costumes - but i would love to see your mom in the pumpkin costume on the Harley - that is precious  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BabyPop
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006 12:14:20 PM »

CUTE!

A few years ago I filled in on bass for a band's halloween show. I dressed up as Happy Tom.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006 04:05:21 PM »

This was me and hubby last year...i did the head wound with Gelatin and tissue paper...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sookie74
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006 08:15:27 PM »

a couple years ago I was "Girls gone wild". I bought these huge plastic boobs from the costume store and basically just flashed people all night!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/sookie74/halloween%202004/ggw5.jpg

when I was 3 or 4 my parents dressed me as a clown. it's not in this pic, but they drew a face upside down on my chin (eyes, nose and mouth). we lived out in the country so everyone knew each other. when i'd go door to door, my dad would flip me upside down and put his hand over my eyes and nose and i would talk. it'd look like a puppet on my face. hard to describe..my parents were weird!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/sookie74/fun%20pics/clown2.jpg
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011 08:13:54 PM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WhenInScythia

We Live In A FishBowl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006 09:24:52 AM »

Haha, this forum is wonderful, I wish that I had some old photos of my haloween to show you all...

Once I was the cowardly lion for halloween when I was like three... that's the only one I really remember..

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Follow The Butterflies, Follow The Butterflies..."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Bleach Your Hair
How to Get Kim Kardashian Hair Part 2/2
How to Get Kim Kardashian Hair Part 1/2
How to Get Mad Men Hair
How to Get a Snooki Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...