A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 301,982
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fat Bottom Bag questions/NOW Finished! (PICS!)  (Read 1651 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

everkutz
« on: October 29, 2006 02:18:29 PM »

After reading and seeing all the great projects from SnB Happy Hooker, I finally purchased a copy of the book!   I'm thrilled with all the great projects in the book, and my 14 y/o daughter has placed Postit notes on nearly every page to let me know what she wants!!

Here are my questions...I am going to make the Fat Bottom Bag as my first project from the book.  My daughter wants it made out of Red Heart Super Saver camo yarn.  Should I use 2 strands of yarn or will one strand be enough for a good sturdy shaped bag?  Also, is this bag worked from one SIDE to the other? (not bottom to top?)  I'm a more visual person and it would help to know where I'm starting.  I've crocheted for many years, but usually I just wing it and skip patterns. 

UPDATE:  I finished the bag in a couple days! Once I got past the initial fear of the pattern, it was easy!

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008 09:16:29 PM by everkutz - Reason: fixed broken links to picture! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
funkyjunkie
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006 03:55:36 PM »

I started on this bag this summer (but haven't returned to it). I was using a worsted weight wool, but I think I was working it up smaller.

Umm ... make some swatches and see how your gauge works out. And, I'm thinking the bag works top to bottom to top? I don't have the book in front of me so I could be wrong, and I didn't get past 20 rows (I think).

ETA:
I think I'm wrong on that. I doesn't look like there is any seaming, so it must be done in one piece side to side? Check this thread for her pics ... http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=129948.0
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006 03:58:24 PM by funkyjunkie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

funky junkie ~ addictively good handcrafted jewelry ~ www.funkyjunkie.biz ~ the blog @ www.funkyjunkie.biz/blog
misfitrad
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006 08:24:01 AM »

I've made a few, and the heavier yarn the bigger the bag.  I used sugar and cream yarn and my bag can hold a cell phone, a wallet, a check book, and thats about it.

It is worked side to side, that got me at first two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kell
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006 05:14:10 PM »

So worsted weight yarn makes it on the small side?  I just bought some bulky yarn (Lion brand Jiffy) for it on accident, and I was worried about it making it too big  (it's supposed to be a Christmas present for my 16-year old cousin).  What do you think? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
everkutz
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006 01:40:49 PM »

Thanks for the replies!  I have the bag almost done!  I decided to use 2 strands of yarn and it made up a sturdy bag.  I have to make the handle flaps and add the handles and I'm done!  I don't think the bag is too big at all. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
kell
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006 04:51:01 PM »

I'm about a quarter of the way done.  I'm pretty surprised about how small it looks, even with the bulky yarn.  The pictures make it look larger. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
everkutz
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006 07:31:08 PM »

I don't know what the dimensions of this bag actually are (are they stated in the book?) but mine measures 8 inches from bottom of handle to bottom of the bag by approx. 15 inches from side across to side "folds" or where we started and ended the bag. 

My daughter thinks the bag may be too big! Figures...she is sooo darn picky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ladie Bumbles

In my first completed project

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006 10:12:35 AM »

You did an awesome job!  My first FBB is almost finished.  I made a mistake of going with a smaller set of handles and had to completely refigure the handle part, and as a crochet newbie, that was not fun.  I also cheated and used the sewing machine to put the lining in, but I used black thread and black yarn so you only notice when looking veeerrry close Smiley  I will post pics once i'm 100% finished.

You did great, and I love your flower color choice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
everkutz
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006 10:28:53 AM »

Thanks!  As for the flower...well, it is a 2-layer flower with a hunter orange flower on top of a black larger flower.   I need to make one for the other side too. 

It is hard to tell but the handles are oval bamboo handles.  We coudldn't find round bamboo handles and she didnt' want black handles. 

Sure wish I could decide what to make next from the SnB book!  There are so many things that I want to make that I cannot decide so I will make a few large granny squares to give to the local animal shelter.  We just adopted an 8-month old dog today and found out that they need the squares for the kittens and cats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maybelline Great Lash Mascara Review
VF NEWS: Anne Sofie Madsen - Fall 2015 - Paris - Runway & Interviews
Vintage Beauty Hacks
VF DESIGNERS: Missoni
3 Game-Changing Foundation Tricks
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...