A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,044
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Portrait with Progression Details! I'm HAPPY This Time!  (Read 2445 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stitchbitch

cranky and crafty since forever

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006 06:42:55 AM »

This is great! I can see that coming at it from a different direction really made a difference for you.
I really recommend blowing up a photo of yourself or someone else and tracing over it to help refine your sense of proportion...its not cheating! Really!
Also, try to think beyond two dimensions. Even though the paper is flat, your subject isn't! Think curves - imagine you are sculpting yourself out of the page as if it were made of the finest marble - think about what's going on behind the stuff we see, how your shoulders continue to you back, your scalp goes all the way to the nape of your neck, your eyes are actually balls and curve out, etc. That will give your image more weight and life.
Try changing your media when you feel blocked - do it all with a big paintbrush! It won't look the same, but you will learn a thing or two to bring back to your pencil work.
Peace! Keep us posted! Cheesy
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's always something good.
thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006 07:47:05 AM »

I love how you did the computer coloring.

One thing that helps me- don't worry about making everything symmetrical, because chances are it's not symmetrical. Draw it as you see it. If you try to make it symmetrical, and because of light angles or face position it's not, THAT'S when something will look off. Also, don't draw features. Draw where you see light and dark, and those will turn into features. The problem many people have is that they have an idea of what features "should" look like, and that's what they draw- not what they actually see.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006 09:34:40 AM »

more advice along the same lines, i thought kylieultra had done a great job on the horizontal divisions of the face so i've done the vertical ones for you.
Obviously the pupils wont always be in the center of the eyes (you might be looking to the side) but if the middle of the eye is aligned with the corners of the mouth and the edge of the nose is aligned with the inside corner of the eye its a good start.
Always make sure there is room between the eyes, roughly the same as an eye again. less than an eyes width and you will get the eyes too close together, but more than an eyes width and you get the grey alien look.

Real people's faces do stray from these directions, thats how you know if someone has a big chin or a big nose, they look different to what you have in your head as a normal proportioned face.
What you need is to find a way of teaching the drawing bit of your brain to recognize the right proportions when it sees them.

hope this helps and that you will show us more of your drawings!

Leah
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006 09:36:26 AM by Impshlady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006 01:12:37 PM »

one more thing along the lines of my previous comments-

i start by blocking out shadows, not features, although dark and light creates features. it helps to pay attention to proportion here, too- how far away is this shadow from that one, is that the same as my reference, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006 10:12:56 PM »

Oh you all are SOOO heplful! You make me want to cry  Cry, but a happy cry.  Cheesy

I will try hard to do at least something each night. Tonight, I did a little head tilt from the side and used the horizontal proportions. On the vertical ones mentioned, I appeared to be wrong on the nose so hopefully I attained that one and the back muscle mentioned earlier.

OK, here's one right before I erased the grid used to build the face. For some reason, this one started with promise but I guess my brain fried when I tried to shade it. I tried to create features by shading and guess I still need work on that aspect.  Embarrassed

I saved the larger versions of Impshlady and kylieultra's tutes so they were on my screen while sketching. These were great help!

building:

and one of the colored versions:

I guess I need somewhere to load these portraits so they don't clutter the art forum. Any ideas?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006 10:19:17 PM »

Oh I like the last one very much!
As for uploading your art, try www.deviantart.com
Free webspace specifically for artists, yay! You might not get as many comments and crits on there, but it works for uploading work and keeping it organized Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006 05:24:12 AM »

Theres also an art forum that i love called www.wetcanvas.com its a bit bigger than Craftster and just for art, there are separate forums for the different media and different subject matters, (oils watercolor pencil, portraiture landscape etc) they are really friendly and helpful (like everyone on craftster is!) and will be able to point you at some great resources. I just hope I'm not breaking craftster etiquette by pointing you there.

leah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahpanda
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006 05:57:01 AM »

WOW. Those are both amazing. They have emotion! The nose in the colored one isn't quite right, but noses are really hard to do, sometimes I still can't get one right. I can't believe you've improved so much in one night! It has taken me years to improve my drawing that much.

Keep it up! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
cinnamon teal
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006 01:52:16 PM »

You are doing so well and making such great progress!!  Can I add one more recommendation for you?  Can we talk about eyes?

Your drawings have such big expressive eyes, but they are a bit exaggerated and start looking cartoony.  Let's take a look at Audrey here:

She has nice, big expressive eyes, too.  But notice how her head is tilted down and she's looking up at you?  This causes her eyes to open more than usual and also you see more of the white below her pupils, giving the illusion that her eyes are bigger than they really are.  Her makeup also adds to the effect. 

Ok, using the magic of photoshop, lets add some of your guidelines:

Since her head is tilted, the horizontal lines need to bend down and her ears appear higher.  Note that Audrey's eyes don't quite fit the 5 across rule.  The spacing between them is about an eye's length, but the spaces on the sides are a bit shorter.

Now lets trace just the eye without the makeup:

Ahhh!  Scary red eye!
Anyways, notice how much vertical space is between the bottom lid and the top?  It really isn't much at all. 

Let's give her some eye makeup now:

see?  Now her eye looks nice and big again!  (But still weird and creepy Tongue)

Ok, so in conclusion, to increase the realism of your portraits, pay attention to the eye height.

I just want to add that you are making really great, fast progress!  I admire that you are willing to listen to criticism and really work to improving your drawing skills.  You are doing really, really great! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006 08:44:29 PM »

Yes, Cinnamin teal, I worried the eyes were wrong on this one but couldn't figure out why. I tried to fix it by darkening them and adding shading under the upper lid.

I found some tutes at Wet Canvas for drawing eyes and eye height was , as you write, very important as well as where the arcs are on the upper and lower lip. There is supposed to be an angle and I failed that, too.

But you know, what I read here has helped me more that any tute book I've tried to read. I guess you all just explain better. Wink

Next, I will try harder on the eyes. Now did I get the back to neck muscle right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to draw Alviss from MAR
How to Draw Angelica Pickles
How to Paint Saguaro Mask
How to Draw Donut head Homer - The special Halloween video - 39th Drawing
How to Draw Hugo Simpson - 49th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!
Which Came First?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...