A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Portrait with Progression Details! I'm HAPPY This Time!  (Read 1977 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2006 12:56:34 PM »

First, thank you to everyone who helped me when I was crying for help in this dialogue:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=129432.0

So it's a lazy Sunday and I want to see if I can create a better portrait. First, I took a picture and divided it into 6ths with a ruler. What I noticed was where the mouth point of the nose, eyes, and hairline appeared at 1/6th. 1/2, 2/3, and 5/6.

So, I plotted thus:

I then erased the guidelines and added some detail:

I sorted out the light and dark areas of the face and added a neckline:

And finished with some basic coloring via my PC:

I think this is better than the attempt that cased me to cry. Please help me again with this one. Pretty please! Be honest.

Here, I did a little experimenting with the color:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006 01:07:37 PM »

I wish I had one tenth of your talent. Please don't take this wrong but the one eye in your coloured pic looks like I put the mascara on!  Cheesy
I always get a little blob or heavy some where! But I really like what you are doing and sharing. I've been keeping tabs on you. SOrry I can't be much help though but wanted to let you know I think you are doing great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006 01:12:50 PM »

I really enjoy watching your progress, and it really shows in this drawing. Looks like dividing up the face helped quite a bit for you. You should be very happy about this one, good job Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
Tiegan

The Dude Abides

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006 03:05:10 PM »

Neato! I think she looks just like Demi Moore  Grin!
Hugs
Elphalba
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pop into my Blog and say Hi!
http://pumpernickelandrye.wordpress.com/

Non judgement day is near.
cinnamon teal
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006 07:38:14 PM »

No critique yet.  Just a great big "Wow!!!" This is such an improvement!  Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006 07:48:09 PM »

ok, just one tiny piece of advice.  You are missing the trapezius muscle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezius).  It goes between the neck and the shoulder creating a little bit of a slope there.  It's an easy muscle to miss. 

Anyway, keep up the great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006 07:52:29 PM »

Please don't take this wrong but the one eye in your coloured pic looks like I put the mascara on!  Cheesy
I always get a little blob or heavy some where!

He-he! Yep, know what you mean....  Grin

Million thanks everyone that is helping me! I'll try really hard to make your suggestions into useful, displayable portrait art. Here, I modified the horizontal dimension of the grid to make a narrower face. I kept the same vertical proportion of 1/3/4/5/6 but used 3.5x6 rather than 4x6. I also tried a little to the side, not much, instead of straight on:

What seems to be hard for me is to draw opposing features (like eyes) so they look alike.  Huh Does the braid in her hair look realistic or dorky?

I'm excited! I know this last one isn't as nice as the first, but I feel I've made progress. I want to try different angles. Different eye shapes. hairstyles, maybe even progress to waist-up and even full length figure art! OK, I'm babbling just because I have an ounce of success...

Oh.. wow... Cool (taking deep breath.) I couldn't have made it past this last hurdle without all of your input and encouragement. If I seem overbearing asking too many questions, please tell me and I'll tone it down.

Now if I could only make a decent outfit and a usable matching bag... Roll Eyes

Cinnamon teal, I'll remember to include this muscle on my next one.  Wink At least now I can smile instead of cry when looking at the finished portrait.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
racehorse87
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006 07:55:57 PM »

You're definitely a much better artist than I am!

I just thought I'd do a quick look for some tutorials on the subject. I'm no expert, so I'm not sure how helpful they are, but if you want to try them out, here they are:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41863618/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39450178/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32327635/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kylieultra
hippopotophile

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006 11:08:49 PM »

hey junquette!!

I'm very impressed with your progress so far, especially the shading.

Although they look about right, your proportions are a teeeny bit off.. this might help you though Smiley

(or go to http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/ultrakylie/Art/faceproportions.jpg for the unsquished version.)

The eyes take up about 1/4 of the width of the face each, same as the nose. The mouth usually falls from the inner 'edge' of one eye to the other.

Smiley

Try those proportions next, post the results and tell us what you think!!

make sure you practice drawing something, anything, every day. practice makes perfect!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006 11:13:31 PM by kylieultra » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahpanda
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006 05:54:36 AM »

Good work! Getting the eyes to match is really a pain in the arse. Keep in mind that generally, people are not looking straight at the "camera", so you can get away with some fudging based on the angle to which they're turned, lighting, etc.

This is really good. Once again, your shading is really excellent. The only thing I notice is that the forehead is still really small, and the top of her head kind of looks pointed. The head will be easy to fix--you can just add more hair in the right places--but the forehead lengthening will be more of a challenge. I love the braid!

You should try drawing with a model (I get mine from magazines, the cheap way!) to get a better feel for realism. It really helped me a lot, anyway.

Keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.c om
gmail chat: sarahpanda
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Unleash Your Blonde Bombshell
Hairdressing Essentials Tool Kit Bag
How to Get a Quiff
Use Dry Shampoo to Make Your Blowout Last for Days
Emo Hair: Haircuts for Boys
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...