A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,167
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can you buy yarn wholesale?!  (Read 10821 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

merrie
« on: January 03, 2004 10:42:05 AM »

I've been making and selling knit goods for a while now, but have the darndest time buying my yarn. For the most part, I've found that the cheapest to buy it is at Elan.com and the next best thing is to buy it at my LYS.
Since I have a business license, I was hoping that I could buy yarn wholesale, but through my research, it just doesn't seem like you can buy wholesale yarn unless you are a retail shop. (And I'm not talking Red Heart or cheapy yarn...just say Plymouth, Rowan, etc).
Anyone have any secrets to buying yarn at a cheaper price or have any of you found any place that you can buy wholesale?

Thanks!
Merrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peachass

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004 05:18:58 PM »

i'm pretty sure you can only buy yarn wholesale if you are a yarn shop. but maybe you have a local yarn shop that you buy lots of yarn from and are friendly with and you could ask them about buying larger quantities in exchange for a better price? i think some places will do that. keep in mind that wholesalers sell by bags of 10 skeins...so maybe if you're buying 10 skeins of one yarn, a shop would be more likely to cut you a deal or special order yarn for you. it couldn't hurt to ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plainmabel
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004 01:49:41 PM »

If you buy in bulk as peachass suggested you can definitely get some good deals.  www.yarn.com gives you 20% off $60+ and 25% off $120+. http://www.yarn.com/yarns/yarn_main.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
thecynthesizer

No llamas, but I've got goats and sheep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004 04:44:57 AM »

http://www.fibershop.com/  gives 20% discounts on bags of 10 skeins/balls/hanks of yarn.  They're good to work with, and I've done the bag of 10 deal with Berroco Chai for a matching handbag and stole that I knit for my prom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
jcornfoot
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008 09:37:27 PM »

do an internet search for smiley's yarns they have great prices
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noisy_penguin
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008 11:27:27 PM »

I talked with someone at Brown Sheep Co. about a year ago; they do sell to designers who are making their own wares at wholesale prices, but you have to be ordering an awful lot of yarn. I wasn't anywhere near the point where I'd need to order that much at once. The sales rep I spoke with was very helpful though, he told me which of my LYSs would be likely to give a discount for buying in bulk from them. If you're buying enough it'd be worth it to ask around your LYSs to find out if you can get a discount when you're buying a bunch of yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sirkgnik
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008 06:05:45 AM »

I know Numei has wholesale accounts and you do not need a brick and mortar store.  They are now famous name yarns but they are nice and equivalent to them.

I used to have an account with them and their service was very good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscribe
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008 06:20:25 PM »

These folks have volume discounts and folks around here have said great things about this store. I've not been so can't give a personal review but folks in the Asheville area love this store. Yes, the ship too.

http://www.earthguild.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Shape Builder Tool in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Save Artboards in Adobe Illustrator CS5
Perspective Drawing in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Draw Behind and Inside Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Use the Bristle Brush in Adobe Illustrator CS5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...