A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,662
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LYS Stories - All Sides  (Read 11123 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

QueenofSporks
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2006 09:08:37 PM »

I've forgotten where I saw this story, I think it was either on crafster or on a blog, but this poor guy trying to buy sock yarn at his lys had the police called on him by the owner, because she thought he was casing the store. I think that tops the "bad yarn store experiences" list.

I hardly ever go to the local yarn stores, as their prices per skein are often much higher than the internet. Also, I tend to get stared down by old ladies knitting thin fancy-fur and eyelash necklace scarves they wear over turtlenecks. You know what I'm talking about. I'm 19, but I'm a moderately advanced knitter, and I always get treated like I don't know the difference between dk weight and bulky weight yarn. They always are really pushy with classes, too ("No, really. Thanks, but I know how to knit socks. Seriously. No, I knooow that you knit them with 'four needles!' Yes. I understand.")

I've just sort of chalked this up to ageism, since things like that happen every once in a while, but seriously, LYS's can be a scary, scary place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2006 09:46:02 PM »

I've forgotten where I saw this story, I think it was either on crafster or on a blog, but this poor guy trying to buy sock yarn at his lys had the police called on him by the owner, because she thought he was casing the store. I think that tops the "bad yarn store experiences" list.

I think I remember it from the knittyboard. And there's a new one now, a knitter got her SO to drive her 20 minutes to a store that was open on Sunday (cause her nearby ones weren't) to buy yarn and he needed to use the restroom. They directed him to the deli down the street because `ours is just for women'.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
talmina
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2006 10:13:15 PM »

"No, really. Thanks, but I know how to knit socks. Seriously. No, I knooow that you knit them with 'four needles!' Yes. I understand."

I've just sort of chalked this up to ageism, since things like that happen every once in a while, but seriously, LYS's can be a scary, scary place.

Start doing two socks on one set of dpn's like in this article http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html and take it in there and see their reactions.  I've found the only way to deal with ageist yarn stores is to beat them at their own game.  My gran was spun out by double knitting, she had never seen it before, I will have to start a DK scarf to show her properly how it works when she is down next Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2006 10:24:02 PM »

Start doing two socks on one set of dpn's like in this article http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html and take it in there and see their reactions.  I've found the only way to deal with ageist yarn stores is to beat them at their own game.  My gran was spun out by double knitting, she had never seen it before, I will have to start a DK scarf to show her properly how it works when she is down next Tongue

Ok that is too cool...That almost makes ME want to take up knitting again.
I can just see the faces now  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2006 01:43:21 AM »

Can you imagine there was a time when people knitted their own stuff because buying it ready-made was too expensive?!  I don't think those old ladies could have imagined such snobbery.

I say, the cheaper I can get needles, the more stuff I can make!  The only reason I don't care as much for the aluminum ones is that they set my teeth on edge... metal scraping, you know.  Cheesy

Handspinning, baby!  And, I loooove going to Goodwill and getting retro plastic and balene needles - they're so funky.

I hardly ever go to the local yarn stores, as their prices per skein are often much higher than the internet. Also, I tend to get stared down by old ladies knitting thin fancy-fur and eyelash necklace scarves they wear over turtlenecks. You know what I'm talking about. I'm 19, but I'm a moderately advanced knitter, and I always get treated like I don't know the difference between dk weight and bulky weight yarn. They always are really pushy with classes, too ("No, really. Thanks, but I know how to knit socks. Seriously. No, I knooow that you knit them with 'four needles!' Yes. I understand.")

OMG!  That's horrible Shocked  We always complain that one of our LYSes treats us like shoplifters, but at least they've never called the police!  And, the ageism thing really, really bothers me (I am so glad I am not the only one this happens to!!).  I've been knitting for a lot longer than the "older" knitters in town and they have the chutzpah to call me, get this, a "baby knitter".  It's a good thing for them I keep my knitting with me, or I might have lost my temper more times than I can count.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
Melesse
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2006 03:31:42 AM »

Out of the 3 non-Walmart/Zellers/Michael's LYS I've been to around here, there's only one that doesn't act like I have some strange disease.

My first experience was at Herrschners. I had been crocheting for about a month by that point and went in with my copy of the Happy Hooker looking for yarn to do Go for Baroque (an intermediate level piece). The woman there couldn't stop sneering at me. "You're doing that and you've only been crocheting for a month? You can't do that. You should find something easier, like a washcloth." And when we went to get a hook and I mentioned that my tension is very tight, so I should by a size or two larger than recommended, she responded with "of COURSE you crochet tight, you're a Be-ginn-ER." (It's been months and months now and I do many different projects and I still crochet tight. Pfft.)

The fancier LYS is just generally snobby and pushy. I say I'm looking for something on the inexpensive side for a project that's going to use 1500 yards or so -- she's handing me $20 per skein yarn. Plus the standard breathing down my neck and ghosting me like I'm going to rob them or something. Oi.

The only place I can stand is the Paton's/Bernat/etc factory outlet store. Good selection, friendly staff. It's pleasant being there.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell stuff too! SkyWorks ~ It's all about the wistlists, babeee!

I do personal swaps... PM me.
intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2006 04:01:04 AM »

i live in scotland, i dont think there are any places to buy yarn apart from LYS's (there is one in my town) so i dont get any of those snazzy bargains everyones gets in walmart or whereever *boo!* whenever i go into a yarn shop i always feel kinda intimidated ... im always being watched, eek! but one place i went to a woman told me that they never see young knitters so maybe thats the reason, im 20!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ondrayuh
technology owes ecology an apology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2006 04:17:17 AM »

And when we went to get a hook and I mentioned that my tension is very tight, so I should by a size or two larger than recommended, she responded with "of COURSE you crochet tight, you're a Be-ginn-ER." (It's been months and months now and I do many different projects and I still crochet tight. Pfft.)

you know what. i've been crocheting since age 12 (so that's 12 years of crocheting for me!) and i still crochet tight. i have to remind myself when im crocheting something that shouldn't be tight to loosen up. so i echo your ppfffttt to that lady.

knitting however, i learned 2 yrs ago and started super tight but am loosening the longer i do it. odd...

<3 andrea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://redtugboat.net
................... ................... ................... ..............

let's do a personal swap! swap info
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2006 04:33:26 AM »

I've actually never had a problem with any of the employees of any of the LYS'es around here, but the customers, well, that's a whole other story.

The ones that are the easiest to spot are the ones who find everything they've made in the last year and wear it so they can show off. It's cool to show off your creations, but when I see someone with a handknit scarf, hat, and sweater on, holding a handknit bag, I get nervous, and if I notice either handknit socks on their feet or handknit mittens hanging out of their pockets I keep a safe distance, if I notice both, I leave and come back in an hour.

I rarely bring FO's in unless someone asks me to, but I've seen a few people bring in some really neat stuff only to get totally ripped apart by their fellow customer. And it wasn't constructive, it was more, well, pre school like when you'd bring in something cool for show and tell and someone would be jealous.

Yarn snobs really get to me. Some people are on tight budgets and don't want to spend all of their disposable income on enough yarn for one project. Besides, sometimes wool's too warm and cotton's just not the right thing, and personally when I'm venturing into new territory I'd rather do it with cheap acrylic and save the pricey stuff for when I know what I'm doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarnsniffer
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2006 09:14:44 AM »

I'm 19, but I'm a moderately advanced knitter, and I always get treated like I don't know the difference between dk weight and bulky weight yarn.

I have the same problem at one of the LYS's in my town.  They just outright ignore anyone under 40. 
Also, I work at a yarn store, and have had customers judge me based on my age as well.  Once a lady came in, walked up to me (I was standing behind the counter), and said, very slowly, "I have a question that you probably can't help me with.  I need to talk to an <i>experienced</i> knitter."
The problem with her project, btw, was that she hadn't knit a gauge swatch and couldn't figure out why her sweater was so huge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Foods To Eat For Glowing Skin
How to Master the Perfect Smoky Eye
Marianna Hewitt: The Best Way to Remove Stuck on Eye Makeup
Megan Moore: Empties Challenge
Mallory Cornelison: Empties Challenge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...