A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LYS Stories - All Sides  (Read 11891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meriellyn
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2006 11:18:57 AM »

This is an example of one of the many reasons I generally prefer to be left alone when I'm shopping. The most I usually ask is whether or not they have/stock something specific, like a brand of yarn or a certain type of needle. If I have questions about what to use or how to do it, I  usually ask online instead.
I loathe pushy salespeople. It's rude and counterproductive since I'm more apt to pass on the purchase if they push me.

Actually, I have more discussions with fellow customers than store employees. Especially at large craft stores. Every time I've gone to one lately, I've come across a confused shopper I've been able to assist. Last time I saved a lady and her daughter from buying something that wouldn't felt. The time before, I helped direct a girl to some sale yarn. My favorite was a couple weeks ago when this nice older lady who was taking up crochet and didn't understand yarn weights. She had a hat pattern that included instructions for both a sport weight and worted weight version.  She asked a sales person, who got another sales person, who tried to tell her they were the same thing! The sales person got huffy and stormed off when I told her they were actually quite different. So I helped the lady find a suitable worsted for her project and a couple other things to practice with that wouldn't give her too much trouble and would wear well. I like being able to save people from the frustration of getting the wrong thing. It's a shame for a beginner to be put off because they can't get their materials to fit their project... even if they are crocheters Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2006 12:15:23 PM »

merriellyn:  I've ended up assisting fellow shoppers quite frequently too!  Craft departments in big chain stores aren't very well staffed it seems. 

One time I had a very long frustrating conversation with an employee at a big chain store.  I was looking for Lion Brand Wool Ease.  She said, "Well, this is all wool"  (pointing to the wall o'novelty/acrylic). I said "Well, it's not, but that's not the point.  The BRAND name is Lion Brand and the specific yarn is called WOOL EASE" so she went to another employee to find "Woolies".  The other employee came back and said "The only wooly things we have are these" (pointing to the 100% wool Patons Classic Merino).  This went on for a while.  I finally just gave up and continued to browse on my own.  The employees disappeared and I ended up helping a very tiny older lady get yarn off a high shelf, found her a price and found needles for her. 

I should get commission.  At least I got a funny story out of it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
pocketina
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2006 05:56:44 PM »

Does that mean if you are doing a fair isle sweater with 10 different colours, you have to run all over the store to find the colours you need? Too weird.

Yes it does!  And that's exactly what happened to me, and why I try to avoid going there when I could just shop online and see the colors all on one page.

I thought this was a really bizarre and unusual thing when I read it, but had never encountered this weirdness...and you know, the same day, I went to a new yarn store...that was organized by color!! I couldn't believe the irony.
It was horrible.
They had even done it to tones, so blues were separated into navy, teal, cobalt, light pastels...you had to look in every little cubby to see if they had the brand you wanted, in that shade, because there was no way to know what the colorway was, or how to find it. The silliest organization method ever. They also didn't put prices on anything, but had one sheet of prices at an end row.
Why oh why would someone think this made sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diynotdie.com <-- craft & cancer site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blurdom <-- Flickr photos
tofuttibreak
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2006 06:01:55 PM »

i think the idea of things organized by color is really nice, but i totally agree that it's just not functional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeydew
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2006 07:59:33 PM »

Why oh why would someone think this made sense?

b/c then you can hire ppl that know nothing about yarn to clerk, so long as they are not colorblind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChanPai

Is it nap time yet?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2006 11:54:50 PM »

Ideally, this thread is to tell me that I'm not alone.

I am terrified of my LYS.

I am a perpetual beginner. I have been knitting for about two years now but never seriously. In fact, I haven't made anything more "serious" than a stockinette stitch remote control cozy. Everything else has been a (really cool, often unique) garter stitch scarf.

I like my LYS because they have awesome yarns that I can't find at Michael's. That being said, everyone there is way more knowledgeable than me and I always seem to bump into yarn snobs. Yeah, I'm there to get yarns I can't find anywhere else, but some people there hadn't knit on synthetic fibers since the dawn of man and they will be the first to stick their nose up in the air when I say that my MC is Red Heart Country Blue because I can throw it in the wash. Then I have to explain that I wash my pieces because I am a total klutz and always manage to spill something on anything I wear, scarves included, and that's why machine washable stuff is heavensent.

Is it just my LYS? Should I shop around? Is there shame in buying yarn exclusively from the discount bin?

Advice, please! TIA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It doesn't beep, it goes, "Hai!"
PhoenixDawn

Um, so how does this work?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2006 12:21:55 AM »

Hmm.  don't explain yourself to snobs of any sort, cuz you'll never be good enough for them anyway.  i went into a yarn store once, and I didn't like how i was treated there, so i never went back there.  Shop around.  the LYS i go to now is fabulous and i don't mind spending my money there.  and no, there is no shame in buying from the discount bin.  the greater part of my stash came from Zellers, while it was on sale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cthulhulovesme

The littlest Great Old One that could.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2006 12:22:27 AM »

There's no shame in buying from the discount bin at all. I'm a student; I'm lucky I can afford to eat well, let alone knit with anything other than baling twine. My LYS is a few miles down the road, but I always feel awkward and anxious about going in for the same reasons you mentioned-- I can only afford things that are on deep discount, and it feels like the ladies at the counter look at you sideways every time you start digging through the clearance yarn.

You can try shopping around and finding a LYS that makes you feel more welcome, which is probably the best solution, or you can do what I do and shop online from people who won't question your yarn choices. They also won't look at you strangely if you buy only one skein of the yarn you're looking for (another problem I've run into at my store). The downside is that you don't get to touch/smell/look at from 3 inches away the yarn you're buying, so it's not a great idea if you aren't much of a risk-taker. I've had problems with color inaccuracy before, but that was pretty much the worst of a very good situation for me.

Hope that helps a bit, and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annkari
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2006 12:45:18 AM »

Yupp, all LYS owners and employees are arrogant yarn snobs with no interest in helping beginners whatsoever.

That was the answer to "ideally tell you you're not alone." But seriously, if it were true, I doubt that very many LYSs would manage to stay in business for long. If you don't help novice knitters in the early stages of their knitting career, make them feel welcome and show them how much fun knitting can be (no matter what yarn or pattern you use), where will the next generation of customers come from?

I'd recommend the LYS I work at, but I guess you won't be in Germany any time soon. Cheesy Wherever you live, there is bound to be a LYS with a nice and understanding staff who will be more than willing to help you find what you need. And just because they are more experienced than you and have developed different yarn preferences, doesn't mean they're snobs and out to make you feel bad about your knitting. Maybe, just maybe, they want to help you learn something about the craft we all love.

But of course there's nothing wrong with buying from the discount bin at all. If you're happy with the yarn you can get there, and your projects turn out the way you want them to, and you're having fun with sticks and needles, everything is a-ok. No need for shame.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crnaofca
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2006 01:37:38 AM »

Annkari, does your shop have website?
people in my LYSs (yes, i have 3 of them in 1 mile radius:)) are just... indifferent. they ignore all buyers, but that is kinda normal in shops in my country, and i like it that way. oh, yes, they usually mention when some nice yarn is on discount, and recently i've bought some nice merino for 1/5th of it's normal price:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews Talks About Enemies
Adam Grant Shares The Secrets Of Success
Children of the Jacaranda Tree by Sahar Delijani
Steve Schirripa Talks About Big Daddy’s Rules
Parents That Need to Be Slapped by Steve Schirripa
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...