A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LYS Stories - All Sides  (Read 12303 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2006 01:55:43 PM »

Not sure if this matters but have you ever tried an area that doesn't have many specialty yarn shops. There are only 2 in my local area & they are always very nice to me(I think its because they don't really get that many customers & appreciate the business). One is the young trendy private class type & the other is mostly older sewing bee type ladies.
The one that is owned by an older lady was really nice, telling me about the local crochet/knit group that meets & asking me about the type of hooks I use (I think that was her little test to see if I really knew what I was doing since I'm younger than her normal customers).

I'm kind loud & obnoxious if someone is rude to me so I usually don't have problems for very long. Besides I always joke with the clerks that I'm one of those awful crocheters coming into their inner sanctum that tends to break the ice pretty fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2006 03:27:32 PM »

I've been knitting for four years and only extreme duress will get me into either of our LYSes.  One, snobbery and the fact that they follow customers around keep most knitters out (seriously, it's a topic we all complain about when knitting together).  And the second is painfully tiny (and a bit expensive).  This is why I spin my own yarn  Grin (and order online).

The incredible irony of this is the fact that the proprietors of both stores know they're losing customers (and villianize Knit Picks) but can't figure out how to fix the problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2006 03:33:18 PM »

I haven't had any trouble with either of my LYS and I have no clue what I'm doing and I'm allergic to wool hence most of their products! The people at the shops have kind of taken my search for the perfect yarn as a quest.

I'm sorry you have been treated poorly. It's their loss. They lost a potential customer and friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2006 05:21:25 PM »

is it wrong that i love hearing about bad lys experiences. I work at my lys 2 days a week and the customers ussually will chat and know me by name, ive helped brand spankin new knitters and some of the more seasoned knitters have taught me a thing or two. I just cant imagine a hostile yarn experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
Tiegan

The Dude Abides

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2006 05:37:08 PM »

One of our 2  LYS's is soooooooo snobby that I hate to go there. You cant take thier classes even the ones WITH a fee unless you buy your yarn there for the project too. So if you come in needing help on something where you didnt buy the stuff from them they are not altogether to sweet. Its crazy. Apparently Im not the only one who feels this way though cause at the Knit Out we had in DC I met an author there who had shopped in this same store and thought they were totally rude too. Its such a shame cause when you need help or get stuck- sometimes you need live personal one on one help and the internet wont always be able to explain it for ya in a way where it makes sense. So just know that no you are not the only one- but I would buy my yarn elsewhere for sure.
Check into ordering online at places like knitpicks.com Beautiful yarn for way cheap!
HTH
Hugs
Elphie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pop into my Blog and say Hi!
http://pumpernickelandrye.wordpress.com/

Non judgement day is near.
ondrayuh
technology owes ecology an apology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2006 05:42:42 PM »

I've just found two LYSs pretty close to me, but I haven't been in either just for the fear of snobbery.  But then, I am on the unnaturally shy side.  I don't even like it when they ask you what you are making at the fabric store.  Tongue

i totally know how you feel!!!

there's a yarn store that i love 1 block away from me, but i hate when they talk to me there because im unnaturally shy in shopping scenarios, and i only started buying non-acrylics in the past year. i was a compulsive blanket crocheter. you use acrylics for the ease of the washer (and the ease on the wallet). but when i go to my fav fabric shop in philly and they ask what im looking for (which i never know since i go to browse) i get weird looks when i say "just looking"

booo to that.

i say keep going. you'll get over most of it. my shyness is wearing off slowly but surely.

<3 andrea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://redtugboat.net
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '.......................................................................')

let's do a personal swap! swap info
rachelo
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2006 05:50:36 PM »

Wow!  What is it with LYSes?  I've had some really good experiences, but lately... not so much!  Here's the other thread I started about my latest LYS experience!  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=129873.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jinn
walking widdershins...

I'm ready for my detention Professor Snape.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2006 06:31:59 PM »

Can you imagine there was a time when people knitted their own stuff because buying it ready-made was too expensive?!  I don't think those old ladies could have imagined such snobbery.

One problem that I come up against is that I'm vegan, so I don't use wool or other animal fibers.  I love finding really soft synthetics..and I can't believe they are snobby about needles too.  My mom told me about that before I even started knitting.  I say, the cheaper I can get needles, the more stuff I can make!  The only reason I don't care as much for the aluminum ones is that they set my teeth on edge... metal scraping, you know.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no life I know, to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be...
talmina
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2006 07:27:51 PM »

The first few times I went into my LYS it were pretty terrifying, now I walk in and they love me, show me new yarns and I talk to them about the various goings on in the online knitting world, before me they hadn't even heard of the S'n'B books  Shocked!  Sadly they are still too small for my liking, however they had considered a few years ago leasing a larger store a few shops down and opening a knitting cafe.  One day I dream of buying the place off them and doing it myself.

The two things that turned the tables were me wandering in one day with an issue of VK and saying, "I want a yarn sub for this sweater"  then actually finishing the sweater and introducing them to bamboo yarn *is counting the days til Feb when they can get the new bamboo 4ply in from Naturally*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
landry
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2006 08:40:27 PM »

I still go to the LYS around here sometimes when I don't feel like waiting two weeks for online-ordered yarn to arrive. There's definitely an air of snobbiness in the store; the store's located in an area where trophy wife types hang out, so that might be a factor. I came in one day asking them to suggest a substitute yarn for SWTC Bamboo because I'm not a really big fan of bamboo yarns... the lady who was helping me looked at me like I was from Mars and went, "What's wrong with bamboo?" and then tried to sell Habu Bamboo to me for the next 5 minutes.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flickr photos + + knitting pictures
livejournal + + knitting and other blog-worthy stuff
currently  + + crazy over twinkle's big city knits
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Boston Market Takes the Grand Stage on Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving Make-Ahead Chestnut, Sausage and Apple Dressing Recipe
Leftover Turkey Solutions
The Ultimate Thanksgiving Grilled Cheese Recipe
5 Genius Thanksgiving Leftover Hacks
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...