A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,738
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LYS Stories - All Sides  (Read 11164 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DharmaLei
Don't Crowd Me, Tom

Ooooo, something shiny!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2006 10:33:18 AM »

The ladies at my LYS are a tad snarky too.  One of them is nice, but the others - not so much.  They are the only gig in my smallish town - though there is another place aways up the road that I don't think I can afford at all.  ($40 a skein for hand spun?  I wish, but think not.)

And I use acrylic for some things where acrylic makes sense.  I like to be able to wash things too, and acrylic blend boucle makes great scarves, which I lose frequently.

Hang in there; I think "Yarn Snark" is something all yarn buyers experience from time to time, but as noobs, we're more sensitive to it.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trillian

One is never alone with a rubber duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2006 10:56:06 AM »

My LYS has one nice woman who is really nice and helpful and one that  is kind of rude. The shop is really tiny and there's always someone standing behind the counter so I don't usually go in unless I'm going to buy something, I also don't go in if there is more than one customer in there allready because it gets a bit crowded (yes it's that small!)

I usually ignore any rudeness/snobbery and tell her what I'm making and what kind of yarn I'm looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnsniffer
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2006 11:02:54 AM »

Hey, I work at a yarn store, so I'm especially interested in stories of yarn clerks' snobbiness/indifference.  Why are these the common afflictions of the yarn store clerk?  I have no idea, but I've encountered them both, even in my co-workers.  My only advice is to keep buying from the discount bin with your head held high.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjd
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2006 11:03:34 AM »

The one LYS I really liked closed & the other LYS nearby I won't go into alone.  I'm quite confident in my own skills, but they seem to disbelieve me because of my age (I think...).  I always have a knitting friend (who'll head off their advances for me), my husband (looks like a lost puppy dog), or my male friend (the only male friend I have that'll go with me & although he's very approachable, the LYS ppl veer away from him) go with me.  Of course, I haven't been to that one in a long time.  The other LYSes I like are all at least two hours away.  My advice would be to take a friend or completely ignore them.  Or show your distaste with your money & stop shopping there.  There're many online yarns sellers that can probably satisfy your non-big-box yarn needs until you find a more palatable LYS option.  I like the big-box-store yarns overall & most of the knitters I enjoy spending time with agree that as long as you're happy with your choices, nothing else matters.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

あたまの上に下ぎがあります。

wists
Madeleine09
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2006 11:11:04 AM »

As a poor college student, I don't fear the yarn store, but i definitely get frustrated with mine. I live in the middle of nowhere, so my only craft options are Wal-mart, Joanns, or the LYS. I would love to patronize the LYS exclusively, but they are TINY and seem to think that a whole wall of fun fur is a good thing. So sometimes I have no choice but to suck it up and buy the acrylic from the other two stores, because I need a certain texture/color/washibilty for the little brothers :-)

One time I went in and was interested in taking a sock class which would have cost me a pretty penny, before buying supplies. I was asking the lady about it and she said "Just make sure you don't come with your wal-mart yarns and needles." I want to reply back that I would love to, but you don't sell sock yarn. But instead I left and didn't take the class, and shop there as a last resort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trillian

One is never alone with a rubber duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2006 11:17:48 AM »

One time I went in and was interested in taking a sock class which would have cost me a pretty penny, before buying supplies. I was asking the lady about it and she said "Just make sure you don't come with your wal-mart yarns and needles." I want to reply back that I would love to, but you don't sell sock yarn. But instead I left and didn't take the class, and shop there as a last resort.

She actually said that Shocked Also, a LYS without sock yarn is just plain wrong Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnp71201
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2006 11:20:40 AM »

The only LYS I have ever been to (and it's not local, being about 500 mi from me!) is great. I don't know how their prices are compared to other stores, but the ladies who work there are all nice and friendly. When you walk into the store they want to ooh and aah over what you're making, hear about any new tricks you learned, show you the newest stuff, and/or tell you about something neat one of the other ladies is making. I could see how someone might mistake them for being pushy, but really you can tell that they are all just so excited about knitting, and want others to be just as excited about it. They've been super nice from the beginning. I took a couple of knitting lessons there, so they knew I was a complete newb and still treated me well and encouraged me. I've never heard anyone be rude to a customer in that store. Several of the ladies you'll see there all the time don't even actually work there, they just like to spend their days knitting at the store. They really make it fun to go in there, and they never look at you funny for shopping the discount bin or hanging out for a long time, drooling over yarns. And though there are ladies who obviously know a lot about knitting, they never make you feel stupid, but will help you if you ask. I think they do require that you buy their yarn for classes, though, but they are nice about it, and their Encore and Galway are very affordable, so it's ok.

Here at school, all I've got is Wal-mart, and they hardly carry anything. Red Heart worsted and Lion Brand Fun Fur are about it. And while I have no problem using those yarns, it would be nice to at least have easy access to Lion Brand Wool-Ease or Paton's wool. There is a Hobby Lobby and a Michael's about 45 min from here, but I have the hardest time getting over there. Hancock's fabrics and a Joann's fabrics are in the same town, and I hear those stores stock yarns as well, but have never been inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
have2craft
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2006 12:55:48 PM »

I feel the same way.  I taught myself to knit about a year ago and still consider myself a beginner.  When I moved here to NC, I found listings for a LYS here in town and another one about 30 miles away.  I've been here since May and haven't been to either one.

I can bounce into a scrapbook store or fabric store with no hesitation (been scrapping and sewing for YEARS), but I dunno what my hang-up is with a yarn store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dee~
Jejune
Grand Vizier

Arrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2006 01:28:10 PM »

My first few experiences with my local yarn store left me terrified.  My first trip in, I was, like you, a perpetual beginner, who had been knitting for a couple years, but not seriously.  While I was in there, I overheard a girl about my age loudly gossiping to a customer, "So I just don't understand her.  Why on EARTH would anyone learn to knit and not use good yarns?  So what if it's expensive.  You don't learn to knit so you can use bad yarns.  I don't even see the point in teaching her if she's not willing to spend money on the good stuff."

I'd been gasping at the prices.  I slunk out. 

The next time I braved the shop, I was looking for an easy pattern for someone ready to try something more difficult than a scarf.  I made the mistake of asking advice of the yarn snob girl, who, without knowing or asking about my experience, told me, "You're not ready to make socks." 

I went back again when I needed help with my first sweater, but the lady didn't understand the question I was asking.

Fortunately, the snobby girl left, I became a much better knitter, and the women there now are wonderful, so I'm intimidated no longer, but it used to be a terrifying thing to creep inside that door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knittingkninja.com/ - the inevitable blog
ChanPai

Is it nap time yet?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2006 01:32:17 PM »

Wow, I really appreciate all of the feedback!

I think it's a "regulars" issue at my LYS. I moved to this part of town (a northern suburb of Los Angeles) about six months ago and have only been to my LYS a handful of times (I'm sure there are more than this one in my area, but this one is less than three blocks from home!).

I don't think all LYSes are like this-- in fact, I know they aren't (my old one was kittens and bubbles all the time, but I think for the same reason someone else mentioned: It was in the touristy part of town so someone in there to actually buy got them excited).

By the way, Madeline, I was SHOCKED by your anecdote. Not as shocked as I was by gerbil's though  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It doesn't beep, it goes, "Hai!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Live Trace and the Tracing Options Dialog Box
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Company Logo with Illustrator®
Extreme Website Makeover - Previewing the Finished Website
Extreme Website Makeover - Identifying Ways to Improve a Website
Extreme Website Makeover - Project File Overview
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...