A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LYS Stories - All Sides  (Read 11090 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funkyhooker
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2006 08:17:03 AM »

Hi everyone! Luckily, all of my LYS's are pretty nice to their customers, except one. I was going to explain my love-hate (mostly hate) relationship with it, but because this hate was once again sparked today, I decided to talk about it on my blog.

I'm glad I did, because it's a little too long to be posting here! Cheesy

You can find it at http://asar.vox.com

Wow, you gave them WAY more opportunities to win you back than I would have.  There is just now excuse for that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2006 09:46:21 AM »

i like this thread!!! i work at michael's and i ALWAYS have a customer story, and none of my family has worked too much in retail so i don't know if they really appreciate my not shutting up lol. but anyway, this is more of a "yarn" story lol since it's michael's and not a yarn shop. but i am a cashier there and on weekends i do the kids class and birthdays. anyway, one day while i was at the register, i answered the phone, and this woman says, "i have sort of an off the wall question, is there anyone in your store that knows anything about knitting and crochet?" (now i'm all giddy because i always get giddy when a customer asks about that.) so i say, "i could help you, actually, what can i do for you?" and she tells me that it's been like 20 years since she's crocheted and she just needs a "refresher course." not wanting to make her pay $15 to take the class if that's all she needed, i told her if she wanted to come in while i was doing the kids class on saturday, i'd help her out. i knew i shouldn't've done this, it doesn't seem like the "corporate thing to do." but i went along with it anyway. and when she showed up, she was so appreciative and grateful, and she offered to pay for a class just so i wouldn't get in trouble. our crochet instructor happened to be there too so he (yes, he) helped out too. the woman not only has bought tons of yarn and signed up for 2 crochet classes, but she now regularly brings her grandsons and their neighbors to the kids class! so my act was justified and it felt good. i'm in the process of receiving a degree in entrepreneurship right now because i want to open a yarn shop. the closest one here is like 40 minutes away. i can't wait. i love my job at michael's so i know i'll love having my own yarn shop where i won't have to worry about whether i'll get in trouble or not for helping someone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2006 10:10:11 AM »

leesespieces, that reminded me of another great LYS story, if ya'll will bear with me...I had wanted to learn how to read a crochet pattern (it is still like a foreign language to me!) and asked the LYS owner if they had a class.  She called her MOM and her Mom set up a Saturday appt with me totally according to my schedule.  This saint of a mother refused payment of any kind (finally accepted a big gulp diet coke).  Needless to say, that is my favorite LYS. 

Remembering that totally makes me want to go do something nice for someone....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

infantkittensyringe
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2006 10:24:11 AM »

Oooo! Kids! Don't get me wrong - I love kids (at least most of them), they are so inventive and awake! But kids in a yarn shop is a recipe for trouble if the parents are unattentive. The other day we had two little boys of the rambunctious age running around howling and pulling everything down. Yeesh. Their mother just yelled at them, but didn't actually stop them. We have a toy box, but older kids don't get that interested. One mother had her boy trained to stick his hands in the air every time he got the urge to touch something, which struck me as just kinda weird, although it worked.
Yes, I did start this thread sort of because I always have crazy stories at the end of the day and my SO tends to get bored quick of my ranting. I'm just about to go to work - and Sundays seem to bring out the oddballs...
Oh, one more thing to LYS customers - do not be afraid to yarn fondle! If your LYS frowns on yarn fondling they are evil! Yarn fondling is at least half the fun of knitting and mostly the fun of yarn shopping, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterlite
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2006 02:00:47 PM »

Oh I have a great LYS story. I went to my Lys and sat down for a min to put my feet up and knit. and the people who actually ran the store were ignoring the customers and the customers kept comming up to me asking me for help. So I helped them. OMG isnt that fantastic? I felt so good about myself cuz I could help people who were being ignored by the people who were supposed to be doing their jobs. I was a knitting superhero for a few minutes.They offered me a job but I turned them down because I already have a job and like most people I have a yarn addiction problem. and that would have been bad to be around yarn alllll the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2006 02:28:00 PM »

All right, we've heard from all sides I think.  We've heard about terrible LYS owners, employees and customers, and we've heard FROM most of them too.  Unfortunately, civility is quickly leaving, and I've decided to throw all the threads together into one and lock it.  It's nice to have a rant every once in a while, and everyone knows we Craftsters will listen, so I know it'll be upsetting to lose these threads, but this type of thing is really only appropriate if it stays on-topic and constructive, and we've reached the point where it isn't either any longer, so my time is taken up moderating something I shouldn't have to.  Sorry, guys.  Hope you understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ice Text Effect in Photoshop - Tutorial
Create Glossy Sphere in Photoshop - Tutorial
Adobe CS3 Print Workflow - How Compare Different File Types
Adobe CS3 Print Workflow - How to Save Different File Types
Adobe CS3 Print Workflow - How to Create a Silhouette
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...