A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LYS Stories - All Sides  (Read 12268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rachelo
« on: October 28, 2006 04:12:24 PM »

I just got back from my lys.  It was my first time going to this one (since I just moved to a new city).  I walked in, and said that I was looking for worsted weight, washable wool to make mittens with.  I then said that I was looking for the same wool to make thick socks.  The lady in the store then went off on this tear, trying to get me to sign up for her sock classes.  She didn't want to hear that I have the internet (ie craftster, knittinghelp, etc) for help.  She didn't want to hear that I don't want to pay for classes for something that I can teach myself.  In fact, she didn't want to listen to what I had to say at all.  She just kept continuing on with dates, and prices, material, etc.  grr.  I was so aggravated that when she turned around to help someone else, I left without even buying yarn.

I'm sure she was trying to be helpful, but she wasn't.  I left irritated and don't ever want to go there again.

Just wanted to voice my frustration.
/rant

« Last Edit: November 26, 2006 02:23:16 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FrogPuddle
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006 04:18:58 PM »

That is not being helpful, that is being pushy, rude, and discouraging you from ever coming in there again.  I would go back and try to get the yarn, but ask someone else for help, or get the yarn online, you can garantee it will be cheaper than your lys, without the pushy sales people. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparkly
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006 04:29:48 PM »

good for you for not giving in! i'm a big supporter of small, local businesses, but not ones that suck.

however, maybe she wasn't the owner, just an employee who isn't too good at her job. in that case, i'd give the store another try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelo
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006 06:38:42 PM »

Thanks for the support!  I ended up going to a chain store for the yarn (because I want to get my Christmas knits finished), but I think I'll just order from knitpicks from now on.  I'm pretty sure the woman wasn't the owner, but I'm so turned off that I don't even want to go back.  Thanks for validating that I wasn't just being oversensitive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the wallaby
Era of the Sea

stirring controversy with a wooden spoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006 06:42:13 PM »

...maybe she had previously been a car salesperson. You did the right thing to leave, even though it is a bummer that you got such a negative experience in what could have been a very convenient shop for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps <3

...Oh fine!
http://www.wists.com/wallaby
sunshineknits
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006 09:53:50 PM »

maybe... maybe she was just REALLY proud cause she JUST started teaching or something. .. maybe she thought you'd be her first student... hehehe. i've had SUCH weird experiences at some lys's..  but i still love them.. i kind of get endeared to their weird, weird ways.. i think to myself.. is this going to be me in 10/20/50 years??
 Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe."
-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.  (1922-2007)
rachelo
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006 10:19:22 PM »

Alas, sunshineknits, she said that she wasn't teaching the class.  I really think she was just trying to be helpful, but it came off as overbearing and pushy.

And the wallaby, I think used car salesman would be an apt description!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006 06:13:42 AM »

Alas, sunshineknits, she said that she wasn't teaching the class.  I really think she was just trying to be helpful, but it came off as overbearing and pushy.

And the wallaby, I think used car salesman would be an apt description!

You should send a letter to the store to tell them where they put a foot wrong. As someone else said, it might have just been an over enthusiatic employee. If it's the owner, she may just pause and use it as a way to amend her approach.

Sorry to hear about that.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tracinglines
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006 06:50:44 AM »

this sounds JUST like the lady at this yarn shop by my school. it's 22 miles from my house so i'd never been to it. the first time i went, i took my grandma because she commissioned me to make her some flip-top mittens with grips so she could play golf in them. when the lady asked what we were making, my grandma told her and from then on every time my grandma opened her mouth, the lady would say "who cares what you think, you play GOLF." pretty much calling her a rich snob.

and then she hassled me about gauge, trying to get me to buy this more expensive non machine-washable yarn because she thought it would be a better gauge. when i said it didnt matter, she got the whole swarm of women in the store to lecture (attack) me about gauge. i finally got them to stop when i could get out that gauge didnt matter because i was making up the pattern.

and then she asked me what yarn shop i usually go to and when i told her, she scoffed and told me that they don't have anything worthwhile there and that theyre not up on the ever-changing yarn trends. this offended me because i've made friends with the people there. it's worth it to shop there when you get to have a 3 hour conversation with this great hippy couple afterward. plus, it's not that they don't have a large selection, it's that they like natural looking yarns and choose the companies they support very carefully.

Unfortunately, I still shop there occasionally for superwash and stuff that i can't get from the hippies. But more often I buy online to avoid supporting them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icantotallymakethat
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006 07:17:17 AM »

The problem with one of my LYS is the opposite: when I told them I wanted a 16-inch circular needle, the lady didn't want to give it to me because she personally thought they were too hard to use. They did stock them, mind you, she just didn't want to sell it to me. I realized that every time I went in there, they assumed that I was an absolute beginner and they wouldn't believe that I actually knew what I wanted. Maybe they're better about that now...I wouldn't know, since several experiences like that convinced me not to go back. Luckily, I live in a good-sized town, and I have at least three other very nice LYS to choose from.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Beauty Mistakes That Make You Look Tired
4 Treatments for Younger Looking Skin
Beauty Products for Spring
5 Ways to Upgrade Your French Manicure
Beauty Routines for Long Haul Flights
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...