A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 306,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: foray into watercolours  (Read 746 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

boywonder

Oh I've got all the courage, I'll ever need.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 28, 2006 10:46:40 AM »

so recently someone at worked asked me if I would do a painting for a raffle/draw thing and she asked me to come up with some ideas. I've never really done anything in watercolours before so I thought "hey...why not?". These are what I came up with (just as smaller ideas for a larger painting) and she didn't end up picking any of them...just thought I'd post 'em to see what you guys thought..they're not fantastic as I did them rushed and it was my first time using watercolours...now I'm not sure what to do with them..lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged
smithyboy
Princess

Kitty-Pookums

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006 10:55:28 AM »

depending on how big they are, they would make cute postcards?

oh, and BTW, I think they are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recycle Reduce Reuse Repair Rethink Retool Reinvent Resist React Respect Revere Reflect Refill Reclaim Recharge Rekindle Reform Refresh Renew Reconstruct
lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006 10:59:14 AM »

they are great for your first time using watercolours! i have attempted many a time, but my attempts come out pretty nasty. i agree they would make great postcards! or you could turn then into cards and send them out as thank you letters, i always find hand made thankyou letters are the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
godels_truth

"Man, You way too happy to sing the Blues."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006 11:12:49 AM »

The first one shows some nice techniques, but it looks a little too much like a summer camp advertisement. 

The second one is a wonderful idea.  I love the colors.  I think you may want to try it on a different shape of paper though.  Right now, the eye follows the slant of the rock right out of the picture.  You might try placing it on a square page, off center to the lower left so that the eye would follow the rock up into the colors of the sky. 

The third one has some great things going on with the colors in the foreground.  It's definitely my favorite.  The landscapes of the southwest are so beautiful, but they're always done in the same style and sold in cheap tourist shops.  When you make the larger painting, don't polish it too much or you'll lose the uniqueness. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dada3345
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006 11:22:08 AM »

I agree, they are a great first attempt. My only suggestion would be to lighten up on the paint. Watercolor is a medium where the less opaque the paint, the better. You have to use the paper as much as the paint with watercolor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective. An eye unprejudiced by compositional logic. An eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure in perspective." -stan brahkage
my art: http://highlowart.webs.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mixed Media Fun
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...